Next football season, universities can directly pay players

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Today was the end of the beginning of the end of college athletics. We are steaming full speed ahead now.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Next season, meaning the season that starts in three months or the 2025 season?

Normally the 2024 season would be termed "this season."

patdog

May 28, 2007
Today was the end of the beginning of the end of college athletics. We are steaming full speed ahead now.
Today was a small step in the right direction. Get the collectives somewhat out of the game and let TV revenues pay the players. The collectives will still exist. But the money they raise will be dwarfed by the TV revenues.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Can players be fined for breaking team rules?

Are contracts tied to classroom performance in any way?

Do schools offer health insurance to players, spouses and dependents?

Does Title IX force equal pay regardless of sport?

What does bonus structure look like? Is it tied to overall statistics or SEC play only?

Do you get an extra $500 for recruiting and signing up a friend like we’re offering free checking accounts?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Today was a small step in the right direction. Get the collectives somewhat out of the game and let TV revenues pay the players. The collectives will still exist. But the money they raise will be dwarfed by the TV revenues.
How will they choose who gets paid more? I think maybe the best way is just a bigger stipend/payout/salary for all players.

But the problem is, collectives and program-friendly businesses will still buy the best talent.

All this did was ensure some non-revenue sports get cut. Get ready.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Correct. July 2021 was the beginning. At least what we had since then resembled what we had before. This new system won’t at all.

I’m going to have a find a G5 team to support. Because I’m not donating shlt to a players salary outside of a ticket cost and my cable bill.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

What does bonus structure look like? Is it tied to overall statistics or SEC play only?

Do you get an extra $500 for recruiting and signing up a friend like we’re offering free checking accounts?
You get a free toaster and a check book cover.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

Yes, probably not, yes, no, depends on what the players negotiate, probably will be some finders fees in some situations

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
How will they choose who gets paid more? I think maybe the best way is just a bigger stipend/payout/salary for all players.

But the problem is, collectives and program-friendly businesses will still buy the best talent.

All this did was ensure some non-revenue sports get cut. Get ready.
I think we'll see the SEC and Big 10 set a salary cap that's pretty big and allows Alabama and Ohio State to have a larger payroll than average, but gives everyone more of a chance to compete than we have now. The TV revenue will be greater that way.

There's a reason the Cowboys and other large market NFL teams don't force the salary cap to go away. They know the league is better off when everyone has the same chance, and Alabama and Ohio State will come to a similar conclusion.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Correct. July 2021 was the beginning. At least what we had since then resembled what we had before. This new system won’t at all.

I’m going to have a find a G5 team to support. Because I’m not donating shlt to a players salary outside of a ticket cost and my cable bill.
You should be happy with this news today. SEC Network contracts can pay most of players' salaries rather than hitting up fans to donate to NIL collectives for fake endorsements.

Reactions: patdog and onewoof

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Much better than the current fake NIL system. Just have it strictly regulated and capped.

The scotus has ruled. People enrolled in college are free to trade on their name and earn however much they can in whatever way legally possible.

There is no regulating it. Schools will pay the allotted amounts but NIL is going nowhere.

All this means is players now receive school money AND booster money.

That is… until the day swiftly comes when they are no longer students at all… just employees working for a union.

The NFL model exists for a reason. It’s been distilled down to a science. Let’s face the music… adopt it.. and move on.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The scotus has ruled. People enrolled in college are free to trade on their name and earn however much they can in whatever way legally possible.

There is no regulating it. Schools will pay the allotted amounts but NIL is going nowhere.

That is… until the day swiftly comes when they are no longer students at all… just employees working for a union.

The NFL model exists for a reason. It’s been distilled down to a science. Let’s face the music… adopt it.. and move on.
Agree on NIL but not the NFL model. College football won’t win that.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Amateurism as far as college football goes has ended with this decision. It was already teetering on the edge of the cliff, but it's fully flung itself over now.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015

If you sucker punch a racist, and he sues, can you sho nuff pay off civil damages with NIL?

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
So in college football there will be Yankees and Athletics when it comes to money. Same as it has been for all of time. Haves and have nots.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Why should I watch "college professional amateur" sports with a roster that turns over every year when I can watch the real professional equivalent with more stability, transparency, and better players?

The wealth should be better shared in the college market - no doubt. But the decision makers are torpedoing the one thing that college sports had going for it over pro - alumni and other supporters having some sort of common connection to the athletes. With 1 year commitments and rosters turning over damn near top to bottom every year - that aspect is gone.

Structure/predictability is needed asap. When your pseudo pro league has less stability than the big dollar actual pro contract league - something is wrong. If colleges are going to pay directly, then longer term contracts with buyouts and trade options are merited. 1 year contracts and recruiting the roster over and over is horseshit.

If you want to be an employee and make money from a university, then you are going to be treated like the commodity you are and be subject to being cut or traded like any other play-for-pay pro athlete. You can't have it both ways. At this point, it's not about an education. Quit the act. If you are in it for the education, sign a contract for a free degree provided you show up for practice, workouts, and games. If you are in it for money, sign a contract that says you get paid more but can be cut/bought out for being ****** or traded when we don't need you any longer and somebody else does.

Oct 7, 2022
Why should I watch "college professional amateur" sports with a roster that turns over every year when I can watch the real professional equivalent with more stability, transparency, and better players?

The wealth should be better shared in the college market - no doubt. But the decision makers are torpedoing the one thing that college sports had going for it over pro - alumni and other supporters having some sort of common connection to the athletes. With 1 year commitments and rosters turning over damn near top to bottom every year - that aspect is gone.

Structure/predictability is needed asap. When your pseudo pro league has less stability than the big dollar actual pro contract league - something is wrong. If colleges are going to pay directly, then longer term contracts with buyouts and trade options are merited. 1 year contracts and recruiting the roster over and over is horseshit.

If you want to be an employee and make money from a university, then you are going to be treated like the commodity you are and be subject to being cut or traded like any other play-for-pay pro athlete. You can't have it both ways. At this point, it's not about an education. Quit the act. If you are in it for the education, sign a contract for a free degree provided you show up for practice, workouts, and games. If you are in it for money, sign a contract that says you get paid more but can be cut/bought out for being ****** or traded when we don't need you any longer and somebody else does.
This is exactly what Leach proposed

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So, that's a lot to unpack. But do I understand this correctly,

It seems the plaintiffs attorneys are in agreement. Yes??? The article mentions the Judge has to agree to the terms but the plaintiffs have to as well.

The good thing to come out of this, the players can't sue the ncaa in the future. I'm sure some attorney years from now while find a loop hole to that but hopefully all parties agree and college athletics can move forward.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
That will never happen. Cheating is a habit not easily stopped.
Yep.

So if they do agree to each school paying their athletics 20miion a year, I assume that is divided among all athletes across all sports. I'm not sure what that comes out to per athlete but they won't be making millions at $20 million per school.

So, guess what? If each school can offer the same salary to each recruit, there will be schools (ole miss) that put a NIL cherry on top to make their total financial package higher. Bet!

Reactions: Ranchdawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

1716557709178.gif

Reactions: Ranchdawg