Nick Saban retiring

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
That’s the one certainly in Nick’s retirement, and James isn’t even remotely under consideration.
Make sure you tell all the talking heads and media folks that James isn’t under consideration because they’re the ones that keep bringing his name up for every opening.

Reactions: troutrus

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Saban is supposed to be very involved in the hiring process for his successor.

That would suggest he wants a head coach who emphasizes defense and OL/DL play.

That rules out Franklin. His agent overplayed his hand getting Fraudklin’s name even mentioned in news articles. What a joke.

Big shoes to fill. It also sounds like Saban favors someone younger. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021

That would suggest he wants a head coach who emphasizes defense and OL/DL line play.

That rules out Franklin. His agent overplayed his hand getting Fraudklin’s name even mentioned on news articles. What a joke.

So a reporter mentions Franklin (like someone does for every job opening) and you instantly blame his agent…got it.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
So a reporter mentions Franklin (like someone does for every job opening) and you instantly blame his agent…got it.
James’ inclusion as a candidate certainly isn’t based on his head coaching record vs Top 10 teams. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: NittanyBuff

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
a few thoughts:

I am told we can’t replace Franklin because we can’t get anyone better, so we should be quiet because it could be worse. Why is Bama not shutting down their program post-Saban? They can’t possibly get anyone better under PSU logic.

I am going to watch the Deon experiment full throttle now. He may not be the guy that breaks through the system, but I think the old guard is realizing his way of competing 24/7 for your current players and HS recruits via NIL and portal is being adopted by everyone and is something beyond the older guys to handle. I’m not so sure a truck ton of NFL coaches are going to come running for these college jobs either.

I saw a stat that said saban had more first round draft picks from Bama than total losses at Bama. Crazy.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
a few thoughts:

I am told we can’t replace Franklin because we can’t get anyone better, so we should be quiet because it could be worse. Why is Bama not shutting down their program post-Saban? They can’t possibly get anyone better under PSU logic.

I am going to watch the Deon experiment full throttle now. He may not be the guy that breaks through the system, but I think the old guard is realizing his way of competing 24/7 for your current players and HS recruits via NIL and portal is being adopted by everyone and is something beyond the older guys to handle. I’m not so sure a truck ton of NFL coaches are going to come running for these college jobs either.

I saw a stat that said saban had more first round draft picks from Bama than total losses at Bama. Crazy.
Maybe because Bama is the preeminent program in college football. They can and will get anyone they want. We are not Bama.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
Oh sh*t! Thamel mentioned Franklin as a ‘projected’ target!

Franklin’s Agent:

Make It Rain Money GIF

Thamel must be on the JF payroll, I think he mentions him for every job opening there is :ROFLMAO:

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
James’ inclusion as a candidate certainly isn’t based on his head coaching record vs Top 10 teams. 🤷🏼‍♂️
No, it’s based on his overall record and his ability to recruit at a school that many reporters feel is not a top level program. Many of you don’t realize that there are a ton of “experts” out there that look at PSU on the same level of an Iowa, so they feel there are many jobs that are a step up.

Reactions: marshall23

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Since he's wrapping it up, I want to thank Saban one last time for allowing us to score one touchdown in Beaver Stadium when we played our home and away against Bama. That was classy.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

That would suggest he wants a head coach who emphasizes defense and OL/DL play.

That rules out Franklin. His agent overplayed his hand getting Fraudklin’s name even mentioned in news articles. What a joke.

8 more years chuckles

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
a few thoughts:

I wouldn't say that PSU "can't" get anyone better (than Franklin). Coaching changes involve calculated risks; they don't work out all of the time. What I would say is that if Franklin is replaced there is the possibility that the next coach might not be as good. I think that scares the shlt out of the powers that be at PSU.

Reactions: Midnighter

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
I wouldn't say that PSU "can't" get anyone better (than Franklin). Coaching changes involve calculated risks; they don't work out all of the time. What I would say is that if Franklin is replaced there is the possibility that the next coach might not be as good. I think that scares the shlt out of the powers that be at PSU.
I like Franklin but I think it would be funny to read the posts on here by the anti-Franklin guys if he was replaced explaining why 8-4 for the new guy was good coaching, and how 9-3 the next year was amazing, and how capping out at 10-2 and never making the playoffs was actually good coaching because of how we lost. The pretzel twisting would be quite humorous.

Reactions: Nitt1300

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I like Franklin but I think it would be funny to read the posts on here by the anti-Franklin guys if he was replaced explaining why 8-4 for the new guy was good coaching, and how 9-3 the next year was amazing, and how capping out at 10-2 and never making the playoffs was actually good coaching because of how we lost. The pretzel twisting would be quite humorous.
Might be more interesting to read the rationalizations of the Jimbots if Franklin can't sustain 10-2 going forward. Many will blame the Joebots.