Note from Coach Cunningham, 1/24/24

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
courtesy of the Penn State Wrestling Club, can accessed at:

Thanks for posting this, Tom.

Not sure if I ever got it here to the site but Cael was asked about the possibility of guys going to open tournaments a couple weeks ago. He mentioned Lock Haven as a possibility. Full answer:

"There's a couple of tournaments coming up. We want our guys to compete and go get matches when they can. And if we can take small groups, up to six, and not count it on our schedule, if we can do that, we try to do that, but you want these guys to want to go compete, and seek things out, and find those matches. Just because, as much fun as training is, it's not why you're here. You're not here to train. You're here to compete and go attack your goals. You do that by competing."

SurgeOne

Oct 30, 2021
courtesy of the Penn State Wrestling Club, can accessed at:

Nice posting.
The asst coaches at Penn St are the not-so-secret sauce of our success. I am sure most of you are well aware that our coaching staff, especially incl the assts, is exponentially better than ANY other team.

We have top world wrestlers that call out how much value they bring. We are super-fortunate. Casey Cunningham is always called out as instrumental to the progrum from wrestlers and other coaches alike. If I ever meet him, I’d be super thankful, grateful. #utmostrespect

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Thanks for posting this, Tom.

Not sure if I ever got it here to the site but Cael was asked about the possibility of guys going to open tournaments a couple weeks ago. He mentioned Lock Haven as a possibility. Full answer:

"There's a couple of tournaments coming up. We want our guys to compete and go get matches when they can. And if we can take small groups, up to six, and not count it on our schedule, if we can do that, we try to do that, but you want these guys to want to go compete, and seek things out, and find those matches. Just because, as much fun as training is, it's not why you're here. You're not here to train. You're here to compete and go attack your goals. You do that by competing."

I'm having a tough time tracking down who on PSU's roster is wrestling at Lock Haven. PSU is notorious for being slow to register. That said, I think the event is the Mat Town Open II, and so far I can't find any entries from PSU guys. I believe they're limiting the total number of wrestlers in the Open to 150, which could cause problems for last-minute entries.

It's possible I have the wrong tournament, or FloArena isn't showing the latest registrants. I guess we'll figure it out at some point on Sunday.

Reactions: HBlion and ElDuce

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I'm having a tough time tracking down who on PSU's roster is wrestling at Lock Haven. PSU is notorious for being slow to register. That said, I think the event is the Mat Town Open II, and so far I can't find any entries from PSU guys. I believe they're limiting the total number of wrestlers in the Open to 150, which could cause problems for last-minute entries.

It's possible I have the wrong tournament, or FloArena isn't showing the latest registrants. I guess we'll figure it out at some point on Sunday.
You're not wrong, Tom. The Penn State guys always show up either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning at these things, for whatever reason. Will keep an eye on it.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022

From the Grams, not confirmed?

Attachments

• 1000007929.jpg
    1000007929.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
All the lineups I see online have kasak going against Maryland. Though info on PSU wrestling is locked up like Fort Knox

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Could this be a possible “wrestle off” situation prior to making a decision about who goes the rest of the way at 149?
I’m pretty sure they wrestled each other earlier in the season (Black Knight, maybe?) with Kasak winning.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
All the lineups I see online have kasak going against Maryland. Though info on PSU wrestling is locked up like Fort Knox
Yeah, the "projected" lineups have changed before. For the record, I just looked, and Flo Arena still doesn't have the PSU entries in yet. Nate Desmond is going, though.

Reactions: ElDuce

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I read elsewhere where Kasak is now not registered for the Mat Town Open?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Now listed for Mat Town Open II as registered in FloArena:

149: David Evans
149: Tyler Kasak
174: Brian Borden
184: Jack Kelly
184: Josh Barr
197: Lucas Cochran
197: AJ Fricchione

Others of interest:

125: Nat Desmond - PSU verbal
125: Jax Forrest - PSU recruiting
133: Hayden Cunningham - PSU grayshirt

I have no inside knowledge of what PSU is doing @ 149 for Maryland. It would not surprise me if PSU registered Evans and Kasak, but will take one of the them to MD to wrestle in that dual.

Last edited:

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Now listed for Mat Town Open II as registered in FloArena:

149: David Evans
149: Tyler Kasak
174: Brian Borden
184: Jack Kelly
184: Josh Barr
197: Lucas Cochran
197: AJ Fricchione

Others of interest:

125: Nat Desmond - PSU verbal
125: Jax Forrest - PSU recruiting
133: Hayden Cunningham - PSU grayshirt

I have no inside knowledge of what PSU is doing @ 149 for Maryland. It would not surprise me if PSU registered Evans and Kasak, but will take one of the them to MD to wrestle in that dual.
Absolutely love to get Jax Forrest who wrestle’s for Bishop McCort. In State and not far from Happy Valley. Gonna be a dog fight to get him from other programs. He and Bo Bassett. Here’s where are big time donors need to step up because others will. In Cael we trust.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Absolutely love to get Jax Forrest who wrestle’s for Bishop McCort. In State and not far from Happy Valley. Gonna be a dog fight to get him from other programs. He and Bo Bassett. Here’s where are big time donors need to step up because others will. In Cael we trust.
How many times does it need to be said, wrestlers continue to turn down more money at other programs to come to Penn State. Do you ever watch any interviews with the wrestlers? Not one has ever said they got more money to come to Penn State. It is in fact the opposite, some have hinted they could have went elsewhere for more money.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
How many times does it need to be said, wrestlers continue to turn down more money at other programs to come to Penn State. Do you ever watch any interviews with the wrestlers? Not one has ever said they got more money to come to Penn State. It is in fact the opposite, some have hinted they could have went elsewhere for more money.
Agree.