NWCA All-Star Classic thread

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I wasn’t watching, but I am hopeful that Kerk gets a bit of a sense of urgency and a mean streak. He could be unstoppable, but at times looks too laid back IMO.

Reactions: Spice67

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
I mean, when I watch those blast doubles, I can see Jordan Burroughs. Wow, if Hendrickson can't stop them.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Cstar, Brooks, and Kerk really looked jacked. They are very strong and so decisive when shooting. Kerk looked like a DL stuffing the run. Brooks is just methodical and CStar loves to play with his food before eating.

Reactions: Michnit

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
Cstar, Brooks, and Kerk really looked jacked. They are very strong and so decisive when shooting. Kerk looked like a DL stuffing the run. Brooks is just methodical and CStar loves to play with his food before eating.
I have no idea how CStar is going to make 74

Reactions: SRATH

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Brooks looked HUGE at worlds. I don’t see any issues strength-wise with him making the move to 197. This lineup is gonna be lights out. Our opponents better get their points early, like at 125 (and good luck there with Howard in the line-up). It’s gonna be tough sledding after that for everyone facing us.
I bet the Iowa fans are equally excited. Just a hunch.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU2169

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Geez I’ll say. Awesome. Wish I could have seen it

Total domination and Carter just keeps attacking......stunning win.
After Lewis upset Vincenzo Joseph to win his natty, I didn't think he would lose again.

Starocci's dominance of Lewis is a further testimony of his greatness!

take a bow GIF by Music Choice

Charles Brown

Jan 5, 2022
After Lewis upset Vincenzo Joseph to win his natty, I didn't think he would lose again.

Starocci's dominance of Lewis is a further testimony of his greatness!

take a bow GIF by Music Choice
poor meatball in his home town, Pittsburg, on his back, I have not forgotten, glad Starocci has dominated him.

• Love
Reactions: lionlover

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
49-12. PSU scores 7 touchdowns. Avg 9.8 pts per match.

Sure it is an early season exhibition and doesn’t count. Did we jump levels? Everyone appeared to take the event seriously other than the 3 guys we literally destroyed.

• Love

Lionweave

Nov 2, 2021
Wow seems like Bernie ran out of gas. That’s disappointing.
Why would he have run out of gas? All he did was run away after the first minute. Poor match from him, spent more time trying to get on the hardwood then wrestling

Dec 23, 2021
Was it him being gassed or strategically not attacking enough?
Was there in-person. Several people made comment about being gassed around me. I disagree. There were several blood stoppages. I didn't notice the usual signs of fatigue.
My take, it was strategic. He was backing up for 2 reasons. 1) attempting to time shots when PK was stepping into him. Saw this several times. 2) wanted OB line close in case he got in a scramble. He used this many times to stymie PK on high quality shots.
He was playing the edge for 6 of the 7 minutes. Stall calls were deserved.
Wrestled not to lose.

Dec 23, 2021
Anyone have access to weigh-in sheets? Would love to see what Kerk weighed towards end of last season vs last night. To my eye, looked like he added 15 lbs of muscle. Looks more svelte in mid-section. I commented in the Journeyman thread on his performance. Last night was not just 1 level above Journeyman performance but several above.
When Cael talks about going out, scoring points, and trying to dominate in all three positions - what Kerk did last night was exactly that. He had no problem getting out from the bottom. He pace and explosiveness on his feet was excellent. He road hard and almost had the pin on the first TD. VERY impressive.
Hope he keeps that mindset for every match. It is this mindset that make CStar and AB so special along with their skill and physical attributes.

Reactions: LB99

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Was there in-person. Several people made comment about being gassed around me. I disagree. There were several blood stoppages. I didn't notice the usual signs of fatigue.
My take, it was strategic. He was backing up for 2 reasons. 1) attempting to time shots when PK was stepping into him. Saw this several times. 2) wanted OB line close in case he got in a scramble. He used this many times to stymie PK on high quality shots.
He was playing the edge for 6 of the 7 minutes. Stall calls were deserved.
Wrestled not to lose.
Sounds like Iowa wrestling, not Penn Sate under Cael.

Reactions: LB99

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Anyone have access to weigh-in sheets? Would love to see what Kerk weighed towards end of last season vs last night. To my eye, looked like he added 15 lbs of muscle. Looks more svelte in mid-section. I commented in the Journeyman thread on his performance. Last night was not just 1 level above Journeyman performance but several above.
When Cael talks about going out, scoring points, and trying to dominate in all three positions - what Kerk did last night was exactly that. He had no problem getting out from the bottom. He pace and explosiveness on his feet was excellent. He road hard and almost had the pin on the first TD. VERY impressive.
Hope he keeps that mindset for every match. It is this mindset that make CStar and AB so special along with their skill and physical attributes.
On flowrestling broadcast, I think Taylor actually said he lost weight.

Reactions: BigBankFrank

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Bernie by nature I’m not real aggressive. However Cael and mainly Casey will get him to be more aggressive. He should have still won the match. Don’t be surprised if Bernie major’s him next time. Key is working out with Brooks and Carter.

• Love
Dec 23, 2021
Bernie by nature I’m not real aggressive. However Cael and mainly Casey will get him to be more aggressive. He should have still won the match. Don’t be surprised if Bernie major’s him next time. Key is working out with Brooks and Carter.
Not only will I be surprised, but I would be shocked to see him Major PK. Cael and Casey are fantastic coaches. But listen to what Cael says all the time. It's up to [insert name] to make adjustments, act on the advice, decide to be different, etc. PK is VERY good. Watching a couple replay snippets, it struck me that PK was stalking Bernie just like AB stalks guys relentlessly. If PK wrestles like that all year, it is unlikely he loses to anyone.

Reactions: J-007 and Michnit

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I wasn’t watching, but I am hopeful that Kerk gets a bit of a sense of urgency and a mean streak. He could be unstoppable, but at times looks too laid back IMO.
Agree. He definitely needs to establish a mean streak similar to Carters. He gotta have the mind set…..I’m going to dominate everyone including EVERYONE in the top 3 with pain coming with the points. Should be pinning guys at this stage.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021

Admittedly, I haven't watched Carter talk much before or after a match. But, when I have watched him, he has come off a little too arrogant for my taste.

That said, to me, this interview showed a more humble, self assured wrestler that expressed himself in a more admirable fashion. I now like him as much as I respect his enormous talent on the mat.

As usual @Tom McAndrew , you have done a fantastic job of providing great content to enhance this board. I want to give you a special THANK YOU on Thanksgiving day! :) :) :)

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Agree. He definitely needs to establish a mean streak similar to Carters. He gotta have the mind set…..I’m going to dominate everyone including EVERYONE in the top 3 with pain coming with the points. Should be pinning guys at this stage.
Not everyone has the same mind set. Kerk stopped after the initial takedown because Hendrickson was hurt. Not a lot of guys would have let up. But that is him.

Reactions: Grass

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
The Iowa thread on their ON3 wrestling board provides another point of view, of course. west2east, a levelheaded poster does lay out a truth bomb after the current state of the wrestling landscape.

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
The Iowa thread on their ON3 wrestling board provides another point of view, of course. west2east, a levelheaded poster does lay out a truth bomb after the current state of the wrestling landscape.
And that would be...?