Ordering Food delivery

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
When we visited the Planes of Fame Museum the other day, we got a good whiff of one of the remaining cattle farms in Chino. Holy moly it was bad. I am sure being 100 degrees didn't help much either.
Try having a kid who plays for a club that uses Silver Lakes Soccer Complex for their home field(s). Smelling that sha-eet, literally, while it's 90+ and playing soccer will either kill a kid or make em stronger, lol.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
When we visited the Planes of Fame Museum the other day, we got a good whiff of one of the remaining cattle farms in Chino. Holy moly it was bad. I am sure being 100 degrees didn't help much either.
I’m actually in Chino somewhat frequently. It has gotten much better in the western parts of Chino over the last 40 years, but the smell is strongest further east over by the Chino Airport which is surrounded by dairy land, and along that south stretch of Euclid Ave.

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
Please share the name of this sushi spot. My wife and I are always looking for new ones to try. Especially, the old school ones. We are not big fans of the "fusion" sushi spots that seem to be popular these days.
Yashima.....off Rowland, between Barranca and Citrus....stones throw from the big IKEA store off Barranca and 10 freeway....

The 2 chefs are definitely of the old school variety....Hideo and Masao....

For starters, try the Fried Calamari Salad....we normally then just.move on to sushi/sashimi after that....their sushi hand rolls are pretty awesome as well...

We were there 2-3 weeks ago, they still dont sit at the sushi bar...hope thats changing soon, since thats where we like to sit all the time before...

Lunch is till 230pm or so, then they close up, dinner starts at 5pm....closed on Mondays now though, maybe the older staff needing a day off these days....place fill up quickly, esp Friday- Sunday....not that big of a place...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Wow thanks....got family in Lemoore, so will visit this place then...

Our first house was in Chino Hills, so got used to the dairy farm smell....lol....

most of the Chino dairy farms have moved to Visalia, quite a few in Bakersfield as well...
Hah, this was years ago (early 80's) a friend of mine, his son was an junior accountant. After graduating from college with a BS Accounting degree, he landed a job with one of Los Angeles larger mid size accounting firms. That accounting firm assigned him many of their farming accounts. My friend told me his son had to do an audit at a dairy farm in San Joaquin Valley and count all the heads and other financial things, LOL. Poor kid, he was out there for 2 full weeks conducting the audit, living and smelling the good country life. At least the farm provided boots and farming clothes for his son.

Son spent a lot of time in SJ Valley and complain to his Dad he did not sign up for this type of dirty work (thought accounting was gonna be clean, office type work). We had a good laugh at his stories...

Last edited:

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
Hah, this was years ago (early 80's) a friend of mine, their son was an junior accountant. After graduating from college with a BS Accounting degree, he landed a job with one of the larger mid size accounting firms. That accounting firm gave him many of their farming accounts. My friend told me his son had to do an audit at a dairy farm in San Joaquin Valley and count all the heads and other financial things, LOL. Poor kid, he was out there for 2 full weeks conducting the audit. At least the farm provided boots and farming clothes for his son. Son spent a lot of time in SJ Valley. We had a good laugh at his story...
Lots of dairy farmers were of Dutch ancestry, and they would spend a generation or two in an area, then that area will build out, offer them great rates for their land as developers move in to build homes/commercial bldgs...then theyd pack up and move....now.most are up in the San Joaquin Valley, paying cash for cheaper land to get their dairies going there...

Ontario Christian HS was such a school, catering to those families...I spent a short time at a dairy coop...unassuming folks, rich af with dairies, land and future sales of those lands...

oh, thats also where I learned and picked up on the term GOING DUTCH....theres reasons why these guys are wealthy folks...

Theres lots of REALLY WEALTHY folks in the San Joaquin, they just dont flash like the big city guys...

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Yashima.....off Rowland, between Barranca and Citrus....stones throw from the big IKEA store off Barranca and 10 freeway....

The 2 chefs are definitely of the old school variety....Hideo and Masao....

For starters, try the Fried Calamari Salad....we normally then just.move on to sushi/sashimi after that....their sushi hand rolls are pretty awesome as well...

We were there 2-3 weeks ago, they still dont sit at the sushi bar...hope thats changing soon, since thats where we like to sit all the time before...

Lunch is till 230pm or so, then they close up, dinner starts at 5pm....closed on Mondays now though, maybe the older staff needing a day off these days....place fill up quickly, esp Friday- Sunday....not that big of a place...
Thank you! I am going to try to get out there this week with my wife. Looks really good (from photos on Yelp). 👊

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
I’m actually in Chino somewhat frequently. It has gotten much better in the western parts of Chino over the last 40 years, but the smell is strongest further east over by the Chino Airport which is surrounded by dairy land, and along that south stretch of Euclid Ave.
Yeah, it has gotten much better, the smell.

Speaking of Chino, theres an old skul BBQ place there, Joey's BBQ....looks like an old country house, they even used to have live country music going on in the back while folks wait for their tables...

Back in the day, Chino/Ontario area was where we would go to buy whole pigs, goats, beef, live chicken, newly butchered so we can cook for larger parties...im sure theres still farms out there that sell those...but I havent experienced that in like 30 years....less big parties, families have shrunk as well...

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Speaking of Chino, theres an old skul BBQ place there, Joey's BBQ....looks like an old country house, they even used to have live country music going on in the back while folks wait for their tables...
I ate at Joey’s quite a few times over the years. There used to be one in Upland also, but I think it’s gone.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
I was a water worker for 35 years. I was picked to be a water treatment operator from my company because of my state certification to be an operator in the new Reverse Osmosis plant in Chino. I worked the swing shift for 3 months until we handed it over to the city. What we were doing was diluting the nitrates in the ground water in Chino from all the farms and diaries to make it passable in part per million in the future. Yes as a golfer and a water guy it always smelled like shiat there.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Wife and I, we try to eat it at the restaurant or place. Hate taking food home, containers/box and package ruins the texture and consistency of the food (steams). But we are retired, working parents or individuals take outs are essential feeding a family. We try to cook most of our meals at home and eat fresh meals.

Also, we never used any type of delivery service, but know it's very popular now days. Dang, I did not know it cost that much for the service...
I drove for Postmates for awhile when under-employed. It didn’t seem like the markup was that bad. It didn’t take long for me to figure out not to accept deliveries to colleges.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Many moons ago I drove up to Coursegold at least once a month over the course of 3+ years. I ate at HR a couple times, outstanding steakhouse.

I don't like onions....period! Lol. If they are cooked down, it's sorta okay but raw, they take over my palate. I don't eat deep fried food regardless so onion rings aren't on my list but these at Cattleman's looked amazing and they were.

My nephew is currently stationed at NAS Lemoore flying F-35's.

Red meat has gone off in terms of prices with the exception or pork. Pork chops are a great deal these days. Outside of that, if you stick to the perimeter of the grocery store, food is very affordable compared to restaurants and goes much further when you combine multiple items. For instance, the price one pays for fresh guacamole at a restaurant is ridiculous compared to making it at home.

And if anyone has room, growing your own fruits or veggies is way cheap!
I have an avocado tree and we’re just about done with a pretty good batch. 😢 I haven’t had any such bounty with the rest of our fruits and vegetables. I have an apple tree that looks like a weed.

Last edited:

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
I think I was there. Was it the day they flew the B-25, B-17 and P-51? I didn’t really notice the smell much.

Speaking of Planes of Fame, Chino and food, a couple months ago Flo’s was closed, so what were we going to do for lunch?! My friend did a quick Google search of restaurants in the area and we stumbled upon Casa Diaz. The food was authentic, delicious and it was a family-owned restaurant. The best part was the service; they treated us like royalty. I highly recommend that place.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
I rarely notice it at Planes of Fame.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Lots of dairy farmers were of Dutch ancestry, and they would spend a generation or two in an area, then that area will build out, offer them great rates for their land as developers move in to build homes/commercial bldgs...then theyd pack up and move....now.most are up in the San Joaquin Valley, paying cash for cheaper land to get their dairies going there...

Ontario Christian HS was such a school, catering to those families...I spent a short time at a dairy coop...unassuming folks, rich af with dairies, land and future sales of those lands...

oh, thats also where I learned and picked up on the term GOING DUTCH....theres reasons why these guys are wealthy folks...

Theres lots of REALLY WEALTHY folks in the San Joaquin, they just dont flash like the big city guys...
Bruddah, I grew up in farm lands and most farms were of relative size, not the mega big farms/ranches like Calif. Thinking back, most of our farmers struggled to make a living. Many big farms/ranches: selected crops & live stock are subsidized + guaranteed market prices (sales) by the government and that's how these big farms make good bucks, but most small farmers are not subsidized. Farming = huge risk: bad weather-failed crops, disease, volatile market prices due to world competition and supply & demand forces, huge debts, mucho cost/expenses: equipment, labor, feed, fertilizer, pesticides, veterinarian, etc. In my area, I did not know any wealthy farmers. They were just getting by, struggling week to week and a good number in the red...

Last edited:

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017

I'm Dutch background, related to some of those old dairy farmers!!! :)

How was copper wire invented? Two Dutchmen fighting over a penny!!! :ROFLMAO:

How was the Grand Canyon formed? A Dutchman dropped a quarter down a gopher hole!!! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I could go on... We're cheap.

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
I think I was there. Was it the day they flew the B-25, B-17 and P-51? I didn’t really notice the smell much.

Speaking of Planes of Fame, Chino and food, a couple months ago Flo’s was closed, so what were we going to do for lunch?! My friend did a quick Google search of restaurants in the area and we stumbled upon Casa Diaz. The food was authentic, delicious and it was a family-owned restaurant. The best part was the service; they treated us like royalty. I highly recommend that place.
Yes, that was the day. My nephew rolled down the window when he saw the cows and quickly put it back up when it hit him. Unfortunately, it was too late. The smell engulfed all of us in the car.

If we do not go to Flo’s the next time we head out there, we will have to check out Casa Diaz. Mexican food is a favorite, so we are always down to try a new recommended spot. Thanks

Reactions: SGVFlip and Pudly76

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
I'm Dutch background, related to some of those old dairy farmers!!! :)

How was copper wire invented? Two Dutchmen fighting over a penny!!! :ROFLMAO:

How was the Grand Canyon formed? A Dutchman dropped a quarter down a gopher hole!!! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I could go on... We're cheap.

I also lived for 4 years in Western Michigan on a job relo....Grand Rapids area...

Lots of Dutch farmers there too, theres even a town called Holland off Lake Michigan..they pretty much owned most large farms, corn fields as far as you can see over the horizon....

Going Dutch is alive and well...LOL...

But those Dutch bakeries though.....damn, so so good...

Reactions: Pudly76

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
I also lived for 4 years in Western Michigan on a job relo....Grand Rapids area...

Lots of Dutch farmers there too, theres even a town called Holland off Lake Michigan..they pretty much owned most large farms, corn fields as far as you can see over the horizon....

Going Dutch is alive and well...LOL...

But those Dutch bakeries though.....damn, so so good...
"Yer not much if yer not Dutch!!!" Haha.

Yeah, I have lots of family/relatives in the GR area, too. In fact, that's where my great-grandparents moved to straight from Holland when they landed in the late 1800's. Then migrated this way to the Chino area.

• Haha
Reactions: SGVFlip and Pudly76

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
"Yer not much if yer not Dutch!!!" Haha.

Yeah, I have lots of family/relatives in the GR area, too. In fact, that's where my great-grandparents moved to straight from Holland when they landed in the late 1800's. Then migrated this way to the Chino area.
Yeah, thats dairy farm background for sure...

• Haha
Reactions: Pudly76

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
Whats that church, Dutch Reformed Church? They were all over....

IIRC, part of the Reformation Period that swept Europe, like the Lutherans under Calvin Luther?

Sundays they didnt sell alcohol while churches were holding services...that might have changed since...

Latest posts