OT: Any former Boy Scouts here? BSA is rebranding.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
The Scouts lost a lot of members during the sex abuse charges in the last 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
Former Boy Scout here. I didn't stay in long enough to advance past second or first class. I still have my merit badges and good memories of camping trips. I prefer gender segregated Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Brownies, etc. Create something called Inclusive Scouts for the gender confused.

Captain_Obvious

Feb 18, 2022
Eagle Scout here. I’m glad I was a scout when I was, because I more than likely wouldn’t have joined nowadays.
The Boy Scouts organization has changed a lot over the past decade and I’m not surprised with the name change. It’s almost expected since they let girls in.

I used to dream of the day I’d teach my sons about Scouting. Unfortunately, I dont plan to have them join BSA as it’s not what it once was. The last line of the scout oath is “to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally strait”. The Boy Scouts organization steered away from that a few years ago. Disappointing to see them break their own oath.

I’ll forever be grateful for the memories though and the many skills learned in my youth through BSA. Camp Coker in Society Hill is a special place.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
The Scouts lost a lot of members during the sex abuse charges in the last 10 years. They're looking at trans kids to fill their membership numbers.
Does this mean shared cabins and showers among boys and girls as well as those claiming to be whatever?
''Scouting'' America seems appropriate in that case.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Eagle Scout here. I’m glad I was a scout when I was, because I more than likely wouldn’t have joined nowadays.
The Boy Scouts organization has changed a lot over the past decade and I’m not surprised with the name change. It’s almost expected since they let girls in.

I used to dream of the day I’d teach my sons about Scouting. Unfortunately, I dont plan to have them join BSA as it’s not what it once was. The last line of the scout oath is “to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally strait”. The Boy Scouts organization steered away from that a few years ago. Disappointing to see them break their own oath.

I’ll forever be grateful for the memories though and the many skills learned in my youth through BSA. Camp Coker in Society Hill is a special place.
Congratulations. Achieving Eagle Scout was a big deal and was viewed as a benchmark for high achieving young men. I'm sure not every Eagle Scout became a success story later in life, but I was always astounded at the percentage of successful business, government, and military leaders who had the Eagle Scout designation on their resumes. But, as you say, I think that ride is over.

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
What a freaking joke! They can’t tell a boy from a girl anymore apparently.

Feb 24, 2024
I did 3 or 4 years of Cub Scouts. I far preferred playing sports, piano, and guitar and thus quit Scouts before Webelos. I have 2 young sons and it never even crossed my mind to consider signing them up for scouts.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I was a scout. I had fun. My dad wasn't much of an outdoor guy so we played sports. I wouldn't have become an outdoor guy without the scouts. We may not have been morally straight all the time but the leaders were doing their best to teach us just that. Oh, by the way, the billions of dollars they're on the hook for were caused by the perverts they were legally FORCED to accommodate.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

I'm sorry, Partner. I've known several Eagle Scouts during and since my youthful days. I never got past First Class myself - not enough initiative.

I feel for all of you Eagle Scouts from yesteryear who are still alive. The formerly great scouting institution is gone, maybe has been for awhile.

Is there still such a magazine as "Boy's Life"?

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Scouting is great. The organization, however, by whatever its name is now, is absolute garbage. I cannot express how much I loath the national leadership. Leadership in my old district is trash too.

The organization really should have its Federal Charter revoked as they neither follow nor honor it.

If you have sons, try Trail Life USA.

Captain_Obvious

Feb 18, 2022
Congratulations. Achieving Eagle Scout was a big deal and was viewed as a benchmark for high achieving young men. I'm sure not every Eagle Scout became a success story later in life, but I was always astounded at the percentage of successful business, government, and military leaders who had the Eagle Scout designation on their resumes. But, as you say, I think that ride is over.
Thank you. As a kid some adults would talk about how much it meant to have Eagle Scout on a resume. I didn’t pay much attention to that or think it really held a lot of pull but lo and behold in my first job interview the first thing the guys says is “I see you’re an Eagle Scout…”.

I’m an average guy, but I’ve rubbed shoulders with some really successful men from Scouts. It’s pretty neat that my troop had a record of every scout that had ever made Eagle since the troop began in the 50’s or 60’s. Called it the Eagle’s Nest. Some of those men were mentors and had been incredibly successful professionally, financially, and even politically.

Last edited:
Reactions: USCEDGE

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
So, the girl scouts is for girls only, and the boy scouts is for boys and girls. This seems like it's missing an option.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I'm a former scout. I dont really have an opinion on it at this point. I feel like it was a different world I lived in when I was a scout. That said, my understanding is they have allowed girls in the Boy Scouts for years now. Guess it was inevitable to drop the Boy in Scouts. Not a big deal to me.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
So, the girl scouts is for girls only, and the boy scouts is for boys and girls. This seems like it's missing an option.

It is odd that the Girls Scouts, if you read on their website, is adamant that it is for girls only. Wonder why the Boy Scouts was opened up to girls?

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I'm a former scout. I dont really have an opinion on it at this point. I feel like it was a different world I lived in when I was a scout. That said, my understanding is they have allowed girls in the Boy Scouts for years now. Guess it was inevitable to drop the Boy in Scouts. Not a big deal to me.
While change might be inevitable, it is not always favorable.

Reactions: Bubba Fett

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Because maybe their advocates are more protective or the public at large has better sense regarding them.
Maybe. I don't know how their advocates can prevent anyone from filing a lawsuit. I think it's also true that more girls wanted into BSA than boys wanting into GSA. The BSA has been a target of the left for a couple of decades. I haven't bought a pair of Levi's in years because of what they did to the Scouts in San Francisco.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Maybe. I don't know how their advocates can prevent anyone from filing a lawsuit. I think it's also true that more girls wanted into BSA than boys wanting into GSA. The BSA has been a target of the left for a couple of decades. I haven't bought a pair of Levi's in years because of what they did to the Scouts in San Francisco.
Advocates can intercede in a number of ways, but I do agree with your premise that I bolded.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
While change might be inevitable, it is not always favorable.
Although with the addition of girls I do get the name change desire, I am disappointed in the CEO's statement that appears to be far more woke than as simple as that. I think it was unnecessary to say they are an org where you can be who you want to be... or something like that. Again, disappointed.

Reactions: KingWard

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Although with the addition of girls I do get the name change desire, I am disappointed in the CEO's statement that appears to be far more woke than as simple as that. I think it was unnecessary to say they are an org where you can be who you want to be... or something like that. Again, disappointed.
I think it was along the lines of Be yourself naturally (I think he meant unnaturally.)

Reactions: Blues man

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022
Always wished as a kid I could have joined, but it was never in the cards. They just announced they are rebranding to "Scouting America". First change in 114 years. Thoughts from former Scouts? Yay or nay?

I am an Eagle Scout then a leader for about ten years and they already ruined scouts by allowing gays in and it just keeps getting worse. There are all girl groups forming when scouts is supposed to be “all inclusive”. I wouldn’t want any of my grandkids joining with gay leaders and gay scouts! Not a good situation to put a young kid into! I’m done with scouting at this point!

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022
Does this mean shared cabins and showers among boys and girls as well as those claiming to be whatever?
''Scouting'' America seems appropriate in that case.
Yeah it’s all inclusive now so everybody should shower together on camping trips! Everyone is equal in the world. I’m wondering why we still have men and women bathrooms let’s just all go in one room and act like it’s Sodom and Gomorrah! Anti semitism anti Christian attitudes are winning out until Jesus returns and burns all of the sodomites!

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022
Yeah libtards think that being a pedophile is a lifestyle not a crime so if I’m a scout leader that identifies as a gay pedophile then my feelings would get hurt if they didn’t let me in and allow me to be myself!

Reactions: USCEDGE

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I loved both the boy and cub scouts....Camp Old Indian in the mountains of Northern Greenville County was the bomb...the lakes, mountains, trails, food (women came in and cooked home made meals) breakfast, lunch and supper.

Things never stay the same. Greenville, Spartanburg, Pickens & Oconee have also changed as many folks want to live in the mountains of South Carolina so the beauty has declined with all the logging, subdivisions etc. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty but Northern Greenville County doesn't look like it once did (and neither does the boy scouts)...

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I am an Eagle Scout then a leader for about ten years and they already ruined scouts by allowing gays in and it just keeps getting worse. There are all girl groups forming when scouts is supposed to be “all inclusive”. I wouldn’t want any of my grandkids joining with gay leaders and gay scouts! Not a good situation to put a young kid into! I’m done with scouting at this point!
Wait a minute, there were always gays in the boy scouts...there have always been gays in the Marines. We just had to keep quite...What is your point about allowing, when they've always been there? You don't think gay scout leaders are a good fit? Do you think male Catholic priests are good to lead a congregation that has you men in it? Some of my best friends from Carolina who are gay, have been the tops in their fields (Highway Patrol, Fighter Pilot, Coaches in high school athletics).

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
No, this is not true. They were sued for several things, but that has nothing to do with adding girls.
I wasn't talking about adding girls with that statement. Sorry if I miss-answered his question. I wouldn't have called a girl who wants to go camping a pervert. They were forced to include certain people, not just as scouts but also scout masters and other leaders whose subsequent actions resulted in about 6 billion dollars or so of awarded damages. Leading to bankruptcy and the end of scouts as we know it.

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
I did 18 years. They were not forced to change anything. They actually won the biggest lawsuits against them, and could have fixed their biggest problems without abandoning their mission. The changes they've made in the last 20 years were all voluntary.

All of the Scout leadership mistakes have been a combination of unforced errors, and unwise, ideological decisions.

Reactions: AngloCock

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I did 18 years. They were not forced to change anything. They actually won the biggest lawsuits against them, and could have fixed their biggest problems without abandoning their mission. The changes they've made in the last 20 years were all voluntary.

All of the Scout leadership mistakes have been a combination of unforced errors, and unwise, ideological decisions.
I'm just trying to remember off the top of my head. Being in DFW it was a local story. You may be right but I was thinking their ideological shift came later. I mean this as been going on for 20 years.

Reactions: Bubba Fett