OT: Anyone have a fear of birds?

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
I have a terrible fear of birds. My Boys were laughing because a Robin made a nest on our front door wreath. This morning I opened the door and it flew in the house. I locked myself in a bedroom as it took them and mom about twenty minutes to get it out.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I have a terrible fear of birds. My Boys were laughing because a Robin made a nest on our front door wreath. This morning I opened the door and it flew in the house. I locked myself in a bedroom as it took them and mom about twenty minutes to get it out.
stork shoebill GIF

You wouldn’t want to run into a Shoebill stork!

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Remember, they're just as afraid of you.

Last edited:

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Mr Potter…..
You whip your bird out, I’m running.
🫣

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Ok, so for people (like me) who have had a dark period in life where the use/abuse of drugs and alcohol tore through their lives like a tornado will understand this... when you are in a deep binge and barricaded in a room somewhere, like a motel room, up for days on end, there is nothing more soul crushingly depressing than the sound of the birds. When you hear the birds you know the sun is coming up on another day without sleep. To this day when I wake up early and hear the birds outside my very first thought is heightened anxiety.

I've often thought if I ever write a book about my life's journey the title would be, "I still hate the birds"

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Tennis Racket would be my weapon of choice. Wouldn't want the thing crapping all over the house. Sole reason I don't have a bird feeder anymore, I feed them and they crap all over my deck, patio, and hot tub. Filthy animals them robins.

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
I did some self-analysis and I think the genesis of this fear was when at about the age of three or four. Down at the Jersey Shore my Uncles buried me in the sand up to my neck and then threw popcorn around me and the seagulls came in droves. Thank G-d my grandmother was around to dig me out and curse them. Of course they thought it was the funniest thing. I would never walk into a pet store because they used to have the big birds, parrots, cockatoos out of a cage just sitting on an artificial branch. Terrifying.

Shalom

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I did some self-analysis and I think the genesis of this fear was when at about the age of three or four. Down at the Jersey Shore my Uncles buried me in the sand up to my neck and then threw popcorn around me and the seagulls came in droves. Thank G-d my grandmother was around to dig me out and curse them. Of course they thought it was the funniest thing. I would never walk into a pet store because they used to have the big birds, parrots, cockatoos out of a cage just sitting on an artificial branch. Terrifying.

Shalom
I sincerely hope that you kicked at least one of your uncles in the nuts after being freed from the sand pit.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Mr. Potter- I am a retired licensed psychologist (Ph.D. at PSU). I have not heard of this particular problem but If this is negatively impacting your life, several sessions with a licensed psychologist who does exposure therapy may help quite a bit. Interesting, my first case when I was a graduate student was a woman with a cockroach phobia. Now, we all hate cockroaches but she literally would freak out and her whole day was ruined if she saw one. After treatment( I had to go to the entomology dept to get a cockroach-yuck) she was able to kill one in front of me without anxiety. I never saw her again as she had finished treatment but as far as I could tell she was doing well.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021

Shalom

This also explains the enjoyment you get winding up your kids.

Birds really are ruthless predators and we're lucky we're bigger than most of them.

Reactions: Mr. Potter

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Mr. Potter- I am a retired licensed psychologist (Ph.D. at PSU). I have not heard of this particular problem but If this is negatively impacting your life, several sessions with a licensed psychologist who does exposure therapy may help quite a bit. Interesting, my first case when I was a graduate student was a woman with a cockroach phobia. Now, we all hate cockroaches but she literally would freak out and her whole day was ruined if she saw one. After treatment( I had to go to the entomology dept to get a cockroach-yuck) she was able to kill one in front of me without anxiety. I never saw her again as she had finished treatment but as far as I could tell she was doing well.
Or, if that does not work....

Ron Burgundy Whiskey GIF

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Fight fire with fire. Call in a few metal birds (e.g., A-10, B-52, or some such) and level the bird's nest. There might be collateral damage, so you may want to clear your neighborhood before they start their run.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
She would HATED Beav Terrace

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Who’s thinking Kim sells appliances in Dover DE and made up this story?

A2nit

Oct 12, 2021
Tennis Racket would be my weapon of choice. Wouldn't want the thing crapping all over the house. Sole reason I don't have a bird feeder anymore, I feed them and they crap all over my deck, patio, and hot tub. Filthy animals them robins.
Yup, my neighbor has one, fly off to digest on my deck and shat everywhere, not just robins, morning doves, grackles, etc

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
Yup, my neighbor has one, fly off to digest on my deck and shat everywhere, not just robins, morning doves, grackles, etc
OMG f'n grackles with their crap sacks they drop on my pool cover. They carry the crap that their young produce and drop it in a near by water container, to keep the predators away. Spent an hour cleaning the pool and deck of it this morning. Selling the house (and pool) so this won't be my problem for much longer!

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
OMG f'n grackles with their crap sacks they drop on my pool cover. They carry the crap that their young produce and drop it in a near by water container, to keep the predators away. Spent an hour cleaning the pool and deck of it this morning. Selling the house (and pool) so this won't be my problem for much longer!
Pools are like boats, so awesome when you rid yourself of them.

Reactions: BedfordNJTX

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I had a really cool screech owl chilling out on my screened in patio (with a hole obviously) one day a year or so ago for some reason. He was cool AF. I said please don't use your talons on my face and I'll leave you alone and he was cool with that.

But this ******* mocking bird was just not having it. He was so aggressive and noisy the whole day. He was really not happy about having an owl in the yard and he let everyone know.

The next day the owl was gone and peace returned to the back yard.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I had a really cool screech owl chilling out on my screened in patio (with a hole obviously) one day a year or so ago for some reason. He was cool AF. I said please don't use your talons on my face and I'll leave you alone and he was cool with that.

But this ******* mocking bird was just not having it. He was so aggressive and noisy the whole day. He was really not happy about having an owl in the yard and he let everyone know.

The next day the owl was gone and peace returned to the back yard.
Per James Taylor and Carly Simon

Mock (yeah)
Ing (yeah)
Bird (yeah)
Yeah (yeah)
Mockin'bird, now

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
The answer is yes. About 10 years ago I was walking on the Delaware Raritan Canal with my girlfriend. We reached a section that was somewhat desolate with water on both sides of the path. I noticed a Bald Eagle flying a couple of hundred yards above us. It was beautiful, a solid white head and stunning wingspan. Then for some reason it started to descend to about 50 yards above our heads. At that point it looked really big, bigger than any bird I've ever seen in the wild. We beelined to an overpass (sort of looked like a trestle) and stood there for 5 minutes until it disappeared.

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
The answer is yes. About 10 years ago I was walking on the Delaware Raritan Canal with my girlfriend. We reached a section that was somewhat desolate with water on both sides of the path. I noticed a Bald Eagle flying a couple of hundred yards above us. It was beautiful, a solid white head and stunning wingspan. Then for some reason it started to descend to about 50 yards above our heads. At that point it looked really big, bigger than any bird I've ever seen in the wild. We beelined to an overpass (sort of looked like a trestle) and stood there for 5 minutes until it disappeared.
Wish you had your Perazzi I bet

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Ok, so for people (like me) who have had a dark period in life where the use/abuse of drugs and alcohol tore through their lives like a tornado will understand this... when you are in a deep binge and barricaded in a room somewhere, like a motel room, up for days on end, there is nothing more soul crushingly depressing than the sound of the birds. When you hear the birds you know the sun is coming up on another day without sleep. To this day when I wake up early and hear the birds outside my very first thought is heightened anxiety.

I've often thought if I ever write a book about my life's journey the title would be, "I still hate the birds"
1716564776939.png