OT: Anyone watch Billy Joel on cbs last night?

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Well they had to have stupid 60 minutes then another show before it. Why promote something so hard then ruin it.
60 minutes ran three compelling stories last night, pretty much like always. Great show. Maybe the best network show going.

Having seen Billy Joel numerous times including disputing his run at MSG I recorded it for later viewing.

Reactions: Anon1713127834

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
60 minutes ran three compelling stories last night, pretty much like always. Great show. Maybe the best network show going.

Having seen Billy Joel numerous times including disputing his run at MSG I recorded it for later viewing.
Maybe they promoted the Billy Joel thing to have people stay on network after the masters and get more viewers for 60 minutes, we taped Billy Joel as well and are watching tonight. At least until local news may cut it off. šŸ˜

Reactions: MtNittany

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe they promoted the Billy Joel thing to have people stay on network after the masters and get more viewers for 60 minutes, we taped Billy Joel as well and are watching tonight. At least until local news may cut it off. šŸ˜
1/3rd of the households probably had it on mute in between the masters and the concert so they didn't forget to change the channel back.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
The guy has sold over 150 million records. Something tells me she wasn't alone.
Just not used to my wife having such a strong reaction to tv. Found it funny because she makes fun of me when I whine about sporting events or post game analysis getting cut short.

Reactions: s1uggo72

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I had hoped to watch it, but quite frankly - forgot.

Maybe I get lucky and CBS offers a Mea Culpa and shows the whole thing in it's entirety sometime in the future. But, probably not.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Youtube Logo GIF

watch just about anyone here at this amazing site!
Oh No Wow GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

• Haha
Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I enjoyed it, though would much rather a stream of a concert than an over-produced cut-up on it (it's why the Coachella youtube channels were so great this weekend).

I've seen Billy Joel 20ish times, keep seeing him every time he's in Philly, and am sure we will until he's done playing (for fear of missing the last one and/or never knowing how many more times he'll come). I do dislike how lazy he is with his setlists, playing the same things over and over again. I'm spoiled by seeing DMB so much where you can see them two nights in a row and not see a single song repeated...Billy Joel even uses the same "gimmicks" and jokes time after time (and glad I can vent about it here, as my wife gets pissed any time I say anything bad about the guy).

It's a tough spot for a TV production to figure out which songs don't make the cut...I'm glad that Vienna did make it last night. But the timing of it should have been easy in a pre-packaged production, so quite the glitch for the producers to mistime it and have the end cut off.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021

Maybe I get lucky and CBS offers a Mea Culpa and shows the whole thing in it's entirety sometime in the future. But, probably not.
I watched it early this am on my hotwire replay - it will expire by tonight. It was good. If you close your eyes, it's just another Billy Joel concert. I commend him for being able to put on a show that good at that age. Miami 2017 is future telling, as Billy now lives in FL and the mafia has pretty much taken over Mexico.

I obviously followed Glen through his final tour, and marvel at Jeff Lynne (he's touring this summer for the LAST time). The Gary Brooker/Procol Harum video from Denmark a few years ago was the best version I've heard - and he was 71.

I have mad respect for guys that just keep on performing - not on cruise ships doing karaoke, but real performing on a high level.

Last edited:

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
Going to see Billy next month in the MSG - can't wait. Not an over the top fan but it should be fun at that venue.
It is a phenomenal show with such fantastic energy. Iā€™ve been twice, with the latest being last May. Fortunately, I got in before he announced his ending of the residency as I understand ticket prices have skyrocketed.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I watched it early this am on my hotwire replay - it will expire by tonight. It was good. If you close your eyes, it's just another Billy Joel concert. I commend him for being able to put on a show that good at that age. Miami 2017 is future telling, as Billy now lives in FL and the mafia has pretty much taken over Mexico.

I obviously followed Glen through his final tour, and marvel at Jeff Lynne (he's touring this summer for the LAST time). The Gary Brooker/Procol Harum video from Denmark a few years ago was the best version I've heard - and he was 71.

I have mad respect for guys that just keep on performing - not on cruise ships doing karaoke, but real performing on a high level.
I am seeing Jeff Lynne in September. Never really got into ELO too much, but I agree that it's good to see these guys still tour. So, might as well go and see them while I can.

Reactions: Zenophile

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I am seeing Jeff Lynne in September. Never really got into ELO too much, but I agree that it's good to see these guys still tour. So, might as well go and see them while I can.
Watch Wembly 2017 songs on youtube. Phenomenal. If it's half as good, you'll have a ball. I'm actually looking at an Oakmont/Pittsburgh ELO trip. I don't know if even ELO live can smooth over an 86 though.

Reactions: Zenophile

Hugh Laurie

Oct 6, 2021
No, but I've been to his Sag Harbor home and met him, daughter Remy, and his half brother Alex.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021

Try CBS Sunday Morning. Always an interesting show. Jane Pauley does a good job.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
Going to see Billy next month in the MSG - can't wait. Not an over the top fan but it should be fun at that venue.
My wife saw him at The Roxy Theater in Northampton, PA. He played all the colleges here in the ā€˜70s, too.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Elo is touring? Just looked it up!!

wahooo Iā€™ve been waiting for them to tour!!

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
It is a phenomenal show with such fantastic energy. Iā€™ve been twice, with the latest being last May. Fortunately, I got in before he announced his ending of the residency as I understand ticket prices have skyrocketed.
going for free - my Company has a box so taking some clients - life is good sometimes!

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Like I mentioned earlier, We have seen Billy Joel many times going back to small gyms and theaters in eastern Pennsylvania to University Park to anYC and a few stadiums.

The night we saw him at MSG his special guest was Brian Johnson. It was sensational. This is the song they ripped through together:

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021

Replaying in its entirety this Friday night.

Including the last two minutes that were cut off!