OT: Berkshire Hathaway sitting on $167.6 billion in cash

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Jeff Bezos sold $8.5 billion of Amazon stock.

Zuckerberg sold $400 million of Meta stock.

Jamie Dimon sold $150 million of JPMorgan stock.

Thoughts?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Disclaimer - Berkshire by default has to keep huge cash reserves for the insurance business. They have to have a certain % of liquidity relative to policies written and insured amounts. But they’ve had an excessive amount of cash on top of that since the pre-COVID times just due to overvaluation of stock market in the traditional sense for the past 5+ years running. Nothing new for them.

Presidential election years also tend to produce more market pullbacks than usual, so its generally good practice for anyone looking to liquidate to do so before the primaries are finished.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I've got a fair amount in a money market, I keep waiting for a massive dip but it keeps going up... the market is pretty solid apparently but surely a dip will happen one day, right?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I've got a fair amount in a money market, I keep waiting for a massive dip but it keeps going up... the market is pretty solid apparently but surely a dip will happen one day, right?
I hope you haven't been holding on to cash for very long - the S&P is up 16% last 6 months, 30% last year. Hell even YTD is almost 9%.

• Sad
Reactions: hdogg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I hope you haven't been holding on to cash for very long - the S&P is up 16% last 6 months, 30% last year. Hell even YTD is almost 9%.
I, for one, have missed out on some gains. Been about 50-60% bonds since they topped 4.5%. The Fed dragging its feet on cutting rates has cost me a bit.

Reactions: dorndawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Election year and with politics being as dirty as ever, and with most elites and media aligned with the current party in power, I just don't see the market taking a major dip this year. I'm staying in. I may jump on the sidelines for short periods, but I'm staying in my index funds for the most part.

Last edited:

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Election year and with politics being as dirty as ever, and with most elites and media aligned with the current party in power, I just don't see the market taking a major dip this year. I'm staying in. I may jump on the sidelines for short periods, but I'm staying in my index funds for the most part.

I should clarify that most of my stuff is in the market. I cashed out a fund that I wasn't happy with in October, and had the strategy of putting in some every month until it was all back there. Obviously I should have put it all back in immediately, but hindsight and all that. Now I just wonder if I should go all-in, or stick to my original.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I'm shifting some of my house money into quantum computing. IONQ for high risk, QTUM for a mid level etf and Honeywell for a safer play. QTUM has been feeding off all the AI hype even though it's a quantum play.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
People will never learn it seems. You can’t see the dips coming. You also don’t see the surges, because they come along slow and no one talks about them. Let the shlt ride guys. If it tanks it won’t matter anyway.

Same with the housing market. It ain’t coming down. If it dips, it’s going back up eventually. You better get on the train.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Jeff Bezos sold $8.5 billion of Amazon stock.

Zuckerberg sold $400 million of Meta stock.

Jamie Dimon sold $150 million of JPMorgan stock.

Thoughts?
Tellme you have never been involved with corporate stock awards or insider trading rules without saying you have never been involved with corporate stock awards or insider trading rules.***

Seriously, go look up what a 10b5-1 plan is.... Those guys all have inside info. They can't sell stock whenever they want. It's predetermined months or up to years in advance by a 3rd party. Lower level insiders are subject to blackout periods and get to sell a few weeks after earnings every quarter and are usually not able to at any other time.

You wanna get my nuts in a vise, tell me the Pelosi and McConnell are selling out and raising significant cash. No rules on those cöcksucking cünts in Congress.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
For the most part i agree, but going into 2022, Stevie Wonder could see that dip coming. Knowing when to get out isn't nearly as hard as knowing when to get back in.
the only signal you need is the fed - raise =sell. otherwise buy

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Does Biden know something? Or is just trying to pump his bags?

I expect first rate cut in June. 100 bps total cuts by EOY.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Tellme you have never been involved with corporate stock awards or insider trading rules without saying you have never been involved with corporate stock awards or insider trading rules.***
What are you assuming I'm saying?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

The Fed would rather cause recession than see inflation tick back up. Plus, most members are Republicans who want a worse economy heading into the election. Don't see them cutting rates with what we're seeing now (booming economy and 3% inflation).

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

he’s long btc. with retirement funds fueling btc pre halving then more devalued USD plus oil nation money buying later this year the damn thing may hit 300k+

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
I’m seeing a lot of people sitting on the sidelines of the housing market right now waiting on rates. If they will get the rates down to high 5s or 6, you will see another run with housing. Still not enough inventory here in Desoto County.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’m seeing a lot of people sitting on the sidelines of the housing market right now waiting on rates. If they will get the rates down to high 5s or 6, you will see another run with housing. Still not enough inventory here in Desoto County.
The housing market here is bonkers.

Reactions: HWY51dog