OT: Charlotte's love affair with Rory McIlroy

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
Watched some of the Wells Fargo Championship over the weekend. Couldn't help noticing that the gallery on Sunday lost their minds cheering for Rory (Northern Ireland) as he approached every tee box while ignoring his playing partner Xander Schauffele (American). I appreciate a good golf performance, but I always root for an American born golfer to win, especially in the majors. Don't need to give the European golfers any confidence for when the Ryder Cup rolls around.

Mar 24, 2022
One thing I’ve seen from Rory lately is under the gun he’s prone to hit some terrible shots under pressure down the stretch.in his 2 wins he’s got away with it because Scottie and the LIV guys weren’t there but I don’t see him winning another major unless he tightens those shots up late on Sunday.

Feb 24, 2024
Rory has now won QH 4X. He's a huge star and generally likeable. Maybe the best golf swing in history. Speaks highly of Charlotte, Quail, and the Harrises. No surprise Charlotte roots for him.

Nationality and/or ethnicity should be irrelevant IMO. His or anyone else's.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
Looks like Rory filed for divorce the day after winning the Wells Fargo.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I like Rory but his best days are behind him. I don't think he'll ever win the Masters, he always has a horrible round that sinks any chance he has of winning. As to the Ryder Cup, the American golfers don't take it nearly as seriously as the European golfers do. The Europeans really want to win for pride and the Americans want to have a good time but don't really care about winning because there is no money to be made. The players get $200,000 each to donate to a charity of their choice, not exactly a financial incentive for a pro golfer to really give it his all.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Rory has now won QH 4X. He's a huge star and generally likeable. Maybe the best golf swing in history. Speaks highly of Charlotte, Quail, and the Harrises. No surprise Charlotte roots for him.

Nationality and/or ethnicity should be irrelevant IMO. His or anyone else's.
Right. They ought to do away with the Olympics, the Ryder cup, the Presidents Cup, the World Cup. They have all become too nationalistic. ( ;) )

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Looks like Rory filed for divorce the day after winning the Wells Fargo.

Oh, man, I hate that. It hurts me to see marriages fail. That take-home pay just took a huge hit as well.

Feb 24, 2024
Right. They ought to do away with the Olympics, the Ryder cup, the Presidents Cup, the World Cup. They have all become too nationalistic. ( ;) )
I hear you. You're right. I mean, as a Carolina alum I pull for Gamecocks in sports I don't really care about (NFL, for example).

I pull for the Bryan brothers in pro golf. For me I've never pulled or not pulled for a golfer because of nationality, but I do pull for DJ (whom I knew as a teenager), Bill Haas as a South Carolinian, etc. but the premise is exactly the same. Just different affinities for different people.

Feb 24, 2024
Oh, man, I hate that. It hurts me to see marriages fail. That take-home pay just took a huge hit as well.
None of my business but I'm curious the story here. Less than a year ago Rory was talking publicly about the significant work he and Erica were doing to build a long term home base in London to raise Poppy in the UK.

I'd also wager on a pre-nup that doesn't leave her with any significant share of his money. She won't be hurting, but I bet he'll barely notice what he has to assign to her.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
None of my business but I'm curious the story here. Less than a year ago Rory was talking publicly about the significant work he and Erica were doing to build a long term home base in London to raise Poppy in the UK.

I'd also wager on a pre-nup that doesn't leave her with any significant share of his money. She won't be hurting, but I bet he'll barely notice what he has to assign to her.
It is human nature to want to know why a marriage breaks up. She had to know the lifestyle (life on the road or absent partner, raising children alone) she was signing up for when marrying a pro athlete. Money helps, but it ain't everything. I wonder if something else is at play here. I don't want to speculate so I'll just wait and see if anything comes out.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

Oh, he won't get soaked like Tiger did, I'll grant you. But it will be FOLDING money, by any standard.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Oh, he won't get soaked like Tiger did, I'll grant you. But it will be FOLDING money, by any standard.
The kid is the wild card. She'll get something but the child support will be very generous.

As sudden as this new is; I have to think someone got caught doing something naughty.

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
When you don’t spent lot of quality time together there is always that temptation to slide.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
The kid is the wild card. She'll get something but the child support will be very generous.

As sudden as this new is; I have to think someone got caught doing something naughty.
Agree with the last part. He filed the papers so...