OT: Does this statement make me insensitive?

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Wife in for serious female surgery last Friday. As we are in the pre op room discussing what to expect post op, the doctor tells my wife to expect meaningful pain... to which I reply, "pain don't hurt", and chuckled a little to myself.

The confused look on the doctor's face was priceless

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Wife in for serious female surgery last Friday. As we are in the pre op room discussing what to expect post op, the doctor tells my wife to expect meaningful pain... to which I reply, "pain don't hurt", and chuckled a little to myself.

Nope... you were just probably trying to break the tension a little before surgery. I am in and around the O.R.'s in hospitals and surgical centers daily. I hear everything in pre-op, surgery and pacu. Everyone deals with stress of surgery in different ways. I found it very funny and I quote things like that all the time.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021

Yes. it does make you seem insensitive.

But it also depends on whether the wife thought it was funny or she was annoyed.

The doctors reaction is immaterial.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

But it also depends on whether the wife thought it was funny or she was annoyed.

the MD must be young, and never watched Road house. I would think everyone would have burst out laughing. But thats just me.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

Yeah, the wife’s reaction is all that matters.

Lanz

Oct 29, 2021

Yes it does....and that's the whole joke.

Reactions: LionJim

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

If you have to ask then the answer is yes.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I was in a meeting a month or so ago where a co-worker disclosed that her husband was starting chemotherapy immediately for a brain tumor. As she detailed the whole story, tension built and there were several crying in the room. Finally one lady looks at me and says, “Well Mr. Connorpozlee, do you have anything to lighten the mood?” I just said, “Um, I don’t have any brain cancer material.” If it was my family I would have had a line to say, I’m sure. You just never know the sensibilities of other people.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
My wife always told me I was insensitive and uncaring. When she was diagnosed with cancer and endured surgeries and the final indignities, I suddenly couldn't stop crying. 14 and 1/2 years and I still cry at the drop of a hat.
Sorry for your loss.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021

You were absolutely correct. As long as it’s not you “pain don’t hurt”.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
She couldn't really hear me, only the doctor, which made it even funnier to me. When she's was first describing the procedure and using all the names of the female anatomy I asked if she could use code words instead as I was uncomfortable... No laughs on that one either
I don’t know about the insensitive part as that would be based on the Mrs. and your interactions throughout that time.

Add in the above, I would say it seems like you were trying too hard.

That said, hopefully the medical part went well.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t know about the insensitive part as that would be based on the Mrs. and your interactions throughout that time.

Add in the above, I would say it seems like you were trying too hard.

That said, hopefully the medical part went well.
Yeah <slaps head>, hope that Mrs. Stratton is doing well. I’m sure she is, otherwise Rush Chairman wouldn’t be cracking wise here.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021

Insensitive? That is one word for it.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021

Eric, the following could be viewed as the apex of insensitive........

What was the most unsuccessful surgery?
In 1800, a surgery took place with a 300% mortality rate.

It seems incredible, but during that operation Robert Liston, a surgeon famous for the speed with which he carried out his operations (remember that at the time there was no anesthesia, so speed was absolutely functional to the patient's survival) killed three people.

The operation consisted of an amputation, an action that Liston carried out in just 2 and a half minutes, but during the cutting the patient began to struggle, forcing the doctor to try to cut in poor safety conditions. So it was that Liston cut off some of the fingers of one of his assistants and the coat of a spectator.

The spectator died of fright, believing he had been injured, while the patient and the assistant died a few days later from gangrene from the wounds.

cmentheadcra k

Sep 23, 2021
Everyone has their own way to deal with stress. Don’t sweat it.

Your should have heard my comments during my wife’s c-section. I am a tall dude and could see right over the screen. I was Rodney Dangerfield in there. lol. The nurses and docs hated me.

Reactions: LionJim

Latest posts