OT: Dumb injury stories

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
My dumb self has now broken two different toes in the last six months just by walking to the bathroom. One time I smashed my little toe on the door frame, and now yesterday I somehow managed to basically kick the toilet and break my other little toe.

Yes, I am aware that I’m an idiot. But what’s life without some self deprecation?

Someone make me feel better about my own stupidity and share some dumb ways you or someone you know has managed to hurt themselves.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Don't let it bother you. I have found that as I've gotten older finding stupid ways to get hurt has become easier to do and less shocking when it happens. ***

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We just got a new bed frame about a month ago. It has a short leg on the side where I crawl in, right in the middle of the bed. I have kicked that 17in Sob nightly since we've had it. After years of the other frame NOT having a leg there I can't seen to remember there's one there now. I'm going to have to cut a piece of pool noodle or something to save my feet

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Kid stuff-

- I tied kite string to the bars on my playset when I was 9 because I wanted to try tightrope walking.
Took one step, snapped the string, and faceplanted 7' into the grass. Middle 2 bottom teeth went thru the skin under my lip.
My parents were horrified and dumbfounded.

- I was on an 8th grade class trip to a ski hill about 1 hour away and tried to impress a couple girls that were hanging out on the side of a run. I was snowboarding, hit a couple jumps, then stopped near them while facing up hill. I was barely drifting downhill while figuring out what to say, and the back edge of my board caught a little jump. I fell backwards and landed on the top/back of both my wrists.
Broke both wrists with one breaking in 2 places.
My parents were horrified and dumbfounded.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
1. Sprayed carb cleaner into a goddang mother freaking Stihl brush cutter carb and it came out of the curved fuel line in a boomerang fashion right into my eyes. Don’t ever do that, fellas. It was scary painful. Use safety glasses with spray solvents.

2. Punched a mother trucking wall one time in a blind rage and hit a stud. Sprained wrist. Very stupid.

3. Was working on our house remodel years ago and using a razor blade to cut a new hinge profile in a door I was replacing. Was using my pinky finger under the door as leverage and pressure to pull the knife free-hand style. Again, stupid. You know what happened. Nearly cut it off when the knife slipped. Bone stopped it. Bleeding like a stuck pig, I grabbed it for pressure and within 5 seconds blood was oozing through my fingers. Almost panicked, but it was 10pm, no one around, and I’m miles from help. Calmed myself, found some mineral spirits in the garage and used a semi-clean rag to soak and clean, wrapped in another “clean-ish” rag and wrapped tight with painters tape. Saved my finger. Lesson: don’t panic, stay calm think slow and use your head in emergencies. Next day my family freaked when they saw how much blood.

4. Was playing 2-on-2 full court basketball with a guy I’ve played against many times that was taller and more athletic, but this day I was killing this dude. Was going for the one stat I hadn’t gotten yet, a block. Let him go by me and was trying to block from behind, got one fingertip on the ball (hooray!!!), feet got tangled up and 3 days later I’m having ACL reconstruction/cartilage surgery. Was flying too close to the sun that day and got greedy. Idiot. Should have just taken the win on a high note and never play again. 17 me

5. Too many back strains to mention. Use jacks, levers, dollies, pulleys, ropes, fellas. God only gave you one back, take care of it. Now I have a tractor with a loader and forks which has become invaluable. Highly recommend if you have room and can justify. I’ll never have another tractor without a loader.

6. Was cutting a tree for my horrible thankless mother in law on a windy day because she asked me to. Stupid. Cut the bit, gust of wind leaned it toward the house, I panicked, and pushed with all my strength to slow it’s fall on the house. It slowly rested on the roof with no damage, but not before it broke the radius in my right arm. Lesson: stand up to crazyasss thankless mothers-in-law, fellas

7. Stacked some 8 foot 2x4’s on the back rack of the 4-wheeler. Was riding around, looking and checking things, and decided to zip up the trail to the house for another beer, forgetting about the cargo behind me. Hit 2nd gear building speed, and as I went past a tree next to the trail, the ends of those 2x4’s caught the tree, smacked me in the rib cage, and flipped me off that b!tch like a pinball. As the 4 wheeler stopped and started easing back down the hill, the stack of wood slid off the side and unceremoniously all fell on top of me. Had black and blue ribs for weeks. Remember the cargo you’re hauling, fellas.

Last edited:

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
My dumb self has now broken two different toes in the last six months just by walking to the bathroom. One time I smashed my little toe on the door frame, and now yesterday I somehow managed to basically kick the toilet and break my other little toe.

Yes, I am aware that I’m an idiot. But what’s life without some self deprecation?

Someone make me feel better about my own stupidity and share some dumb ways you or someone you know has managed to hurt themselves.
I have a bulging disc from a cold shower. DAF

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Tried hurdling a barbed wire fence when I was ~10 years old. Almost made it, somehow my calf got literally hung up. I remember laying on my back looking up at my leg with the barb buried in my calf, blood running down, trying to come up with a good lie to tell my mom

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Was reaching high one handed with an electric hedge trimmer. When my right arm gave out and started coming down, my dumb *** reached to catch and support the hedge trimmer with my left hand. Needless to say, my left ring finger was shredded like a cartoon characters head who just had a fire cracker go off in his mouth.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Was going to put chlorine in the hot tub. Chlorine was in a plastic jug with a child proof threaded top. I had a beer in my hand so I stuck the plastic chlorine bottle under the beer arm and squeezed it tight to twist the top off with the free hand. Chlorine had been sitting outside in the sun and had gassed up swelling the bottle, when I broke the seal on the top a cloud of chlorine gas rushed out right in my face. I passed smooth out, ended up in the ER, couldn’t breathe, finally ended up with chemical pneumonia. I literally coughed up the linings of my lungs. DO NOT DO THIS!

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I saw a guy pull a muscle in his back by taking a bite of a sandwich
I was on a forklift when I was about 25, sneezed, and threw my back out and had to be helped off of it. I was embarrassed to say what happened and understood when they didn’t believe me, because I wouldn’t have believed it either. But then it happens to you.

• Haha
Reactions: HulksStache

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010

Back in the early 80's at State a buddy & I were invited to sneak into one of the women's dorms after hours (can't remember which). We must have triggered an alarm or got noticed, so we started sprinting away as fast as we could in the pitch dark. I ran, full speed into a chain link fence I never saw.

It was the kind of fence that had the sharp ends on top...the ones that are twisted around like a twist-tie. I recall the impact, the fence giving way a little, then throwing me backwards. Those sharp ends on the top sliced through my shirt and my skin, leaving me bleeding from a 3-inch cut. I still have the scar to this day, just under my left nipple.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Was going to put chlorine in the hot tub. Chlorine was in a plastic jug with a child proof threaded top. I had a beer in my hand so I stuck the plastic chlorine bottle under the beer arm and squeezed it tight to twist the top off with the free hand. Chlorine had been sitting outside in the sun and had gassed up swelling the bottle, when I broke the seal on the top a cloud of chlorine gas rushed out right in my face. I passed smooth out, ended up in the ER, couldn’t breathe, finally ended up with chemical pneumonia. I literally coughed up the linings of my lungs. DO NOT DO THIS!

Holy hell, one second you're enjoying a beer and contemplating whether you're going to stick things in the jet holes; the next you're reliving a past life in Ypres 1915.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
In the early 70's I was playing in a junkyard near our house. I had some smoke bombs I had purchased at a fireworks stand. I decided it would be cool drop a smoke bomb in the gas tank of one of the junked cars so the car would look like it had blown up. Well, the residual gas fumes did explode and flashed in my face. Burnt off my eyebrows, eye lashes, and a good portion of my bangs. Luckily no permanent damage to my eyes and it did not even burn my face. The hair grew back rather quickly. Only by the grace of God did I come out unscathed. What a dumb 17 I was with that idea.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Staying in a beautiful B&B in New Orleans. Our bedroom had a beautifully formed ornate bed. But, the light switch was by the door. Bedtime, so I stood by the doorway, eyed my route to the bed, turned off the switch and started walking. My thigh hit one of those ornate knobs on the bed and it put me down on the floor. Limped the rest of our stay in NO.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

It wasn't me (seriously), but a good friend of mine broke both of his arms while playing flag football when we were sophomores in high school.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
when I was 12 or 13. I fractured my thumb in a pillow fight.

Yes that is indeed possible.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I made it 38 years through life without getting a single stitch, somehow. The girlfriend, now wife (no pics gentlemen), was having a rough night helped along by alcohol. I was consoling her in the shower when I realized this talk was going to last longer than my 2 shower beers. I jumped out to get one I had sitting on the vanity. Feet went out from under me, I popped up, took another step and went down again. Got up and slowly stepped to get the beer. By then she forgot her melodrama and was checking on me. Apparently I'd hit my head on the corner of a glass and metal scale we had in the bathroom; never felt it, only my side hurt. Blood was running down my face from my right eye. I was wiping the blood away as she said we had to go to the ER. I told her nonsense, just go get the super glue. By then her daughter and boyfriend were knocking on the bedroom door making sure everyone was ok. It seemed my thud had shaken the entire top floor. They drove us to the ER. 4 hours later, after bleeding profusely all over the waiting room floor, we took an uber back home.

A few years later I sliced off the tip of my ring finger using a mandolin to make chips. Found some wound care blood-stop powder I'd bought for a camping trip with grandkids. Poured it on and saw the doc the next day. ALWAYS use the guard. I had gotten on a kick of making my chips because of the video below, and was overly confident.

• Wow
Reactions: eckie1

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Buddy of mine showed up in a sling one day to one of our chapter meetings... Everyone was curious as to what happened. He wouldn't say, which then of course fueled everyone's interest and determination to find out what extreme activity had caused this.

Oh we found out. He dislocated his shoulder whilst laying on the couch... Turns out he had reached too far back behind himself to grab a beer from the coffee table. Good times.

*Names withheld to protect the slovenly*

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
My freshman year a guy in our dorm was allegedly in a penis cast, or so I was told. The story goes that he and his lady were fooling around and had a few too many to drink, and he got the bright idea to get a running start, leap, and try to…. thread the needle.

He missed.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2012
I forgot I also busted a finger open when I was a kid. We got the bright idea to have sword fights with wooden baseball bats. We’d nick a finger here and there and call timeout to let the pain subside. My right finger got whacked pretty good and I’d had enough and quit. Looked down and it was bleeding so I started crying and ran home. Folks took me to the emergency room. It swole up so much on the way to the emergency room that an 1/8th of an inch cut turned into an inch long cut by ripping the skin.