OT: Enjoying the light show here in south florida tonight

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
For those on the west coast of Florida stay safe. I am enjoying a bourbon and watching the light show and tornadoes floating around. This is why when people asked me why I put a 30kw standby generator in the house. We can go almost 3 weeks on our propane tank.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
I’m in Naples. Had the week off so headed out of town. Enjoying some nice weather and food in New Orleans. Things can be replaced. Stay safe.
Bad tornado literally right up the street here in Delray Beach. Palm tree like a spear through a building and cars flipped.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
For those on the west coast of Florida stay safe. I am enjoying a bourbon and watching the light show and tornadoes floating around. This is why when people asked me why I put a 30kw standby generator in the house. We can go almost 3 weeks on our propane tank.
How big is your propane tank?

• Wow
Reactions: BobPSU92

CF Lion

Oct 6, 2021
Was supposed to be at the company office in Bonita Springs this week. Canceled my trip on Monday.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Getting the sound show here now. That is, winds picking up to tropical force. Going to get much worse by around noon. We live within 30 miles of the projected landfall of the eye center, where windspeeds will be at maximum. Storm now on the verge of Cat 5 status with winds at 155 mph (Cat 5 designation at 157 mph).

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Getting the sound show here now. That is, winds picking up to tropical force. Going to get much worse by around noon. We live within 30 miles of the projected landfall of the eye center, where windspeeds will be at maximum. Storm now on the verge of Cat 5 status with winds at 155 mph (Cat 5 designation at 157 mph).
Stay safe. Really looking ugly at the moment. Hoping some shear or an EWRC lessens the winds before landfall. Sitting here in coastal Brevard county waiting on the flipside of the storm.....

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
Be safe

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

Best Wishes and Best of Luck. I don't ride out Cat 4 and 5's. I stay for 3's and under.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I’m in Naples. Had the week off so headed out of town. Enjoying some nice weather and food in New Orleans. Things can be replaced. Stay safe.

Looks like you made a very smart decision. Hope your home isn’t impacted too much. Naples is gonna get hit pretty good, as I’m sure you’re aware. Sarasota looks like they’re in serious trouble.

Last edited:

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
How big is your propane tank?

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I'm in NW Broward. Lot of tornado warnings throughout the night, several touched down just south of here.

Fac

Oct 12, 2021
Be careful, a lot of car jackings and shootings has been happening lately.

• Wow
Reactions: Hlstone

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
No tornado warnings yet but local news is showing a rotating cell in my neighborhood

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
And just like that...FL east coast radar from Miami to Melbourne is pretty clear. Complete lull here on the Space Coast.

Won't last long....

Beachwineguy

Oct 30, 2021
Lakewood Ranch (Bradenton) here. Been raining since late yesterday with a few wind gusts. Should get pretty rough the next few hours. Still have power and DirecTV for now, so it could be a lot worse. We’ll be right there with Sarasota in getting a lot of the northwest side of the eye wall. I think the dog is the most freaked out of all of us.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
I'm in NW Broward. Lot of tornado warnings throughout the night, several touched down just south of here.
I am in Delray Beach had one down the street at Military and Atlantic last night. Ripped up Kings Point pretty good.

mjmirv

Oct 17, 2021
We have a place east of Tampa. Decided to get out of town for a few days. No need to risk it when you have the means to go away. Good luck everyone.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
This looks like it's going to be epically bad, unfortunately. If you had the means to get out, and you didn't, you should be ashamed. You're putting others potentially at risk (having to save you), and wasting resources that could be spent on those who couldn't get out of the way. Rapid intensification, pulling the water out of harbors ... yeah, not good.

• Wow
Reactions: LionJim

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
This looks like it's going to be epically bad, unfortunately. If you had the means to get out, and you didn't, you should be ashamed. You're putting others potentially at risk (having to save you), and wasting resources that could be spent on those who couldn't get out of the way. Rapid intensification, pulling the water out of harbors ... yeah, not good.
I've lived down here going on 30 years now. What happens is, and I'm not saying these people are right, is that there's that one time a really bad hurricane was headed right towards them, forecasting total destruction, and it misses. They get the belief that because it happened that one time, its the rule rather than the exception. I see it a lot with residents of the Tampa Bay area. Charley back in '04 was going to devastate Tampa Bay. At the last minute, like 4 hours before landfall, it veered south. So a lot of folks in Tampa didn't evacuate for this one. This one, too, veers south. So, I guarantee the next time NHC predicts a Tampa landfall, even fewer people will leave the area. It become a mindset of "its not going to be as bad as they say. They are sensationalizing it. It never follows the forecast track."

Like I said, not condoning it, I evacuate for anything CAT2 and up, but just saying where the mentality comes from.

• Wow
Reactions: Fac and LionJim

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Lakewood Ranch (Bradenton) here. Been raining since late yesterday with a few wind gusts. Should get pretty rough the next few hours. Still have power and DirecTV for now, so it could be a lot worse. We’ll be right there with Sarasota in getting a lot of the northwest side of the eye wall. I think the dog is the most freaked out of all of us.
Does not sound good for Anna Maria Island. We call it our home away from home. Best of luck and stay safe.