OT: Enjoying the light show here in south florida tonight

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I've lived down here going on 30 years now. What happens is, and I'm not saying these people are right, is that there's that one time a really bad hurricane was headed right towards them, forecasting total destruction, and it misses. They get the belief that because it happened that one time, its the rule rather than the exception. I see it a lot with residents of the Tampa Bay area. Charley back in '04 was going to devastate Tampa Bay. At the last minute, like 4 hours before landfall, it veered south. So a lot of folks in Tampa didn't evacuate for this one. This one, too, veers south. So, I guarantee the next time NHC predicts a Tampa landfall, even fewer people will leave the area. It become a mindset of "its not going to be as bad as they say. They are sensationalizing it. It never follows the forecast track."

Like I said, not condoning it, I evacuate for anything CAT2 and up, but just saying where the mentality comes from.
I'll add here that the media, especially local media, is culpable as well. There are plenty of scenes of devastation at landfall, but local news, not having reporters in those areas, feels the need to fill gaps with local scenes. A tree down on I-4. A reporter standing on the beach with her raincoat flapping in a 30mph wind. A garbage can rolling down the street.

People start to think "this is what a Category 4 storm is? I'll never evacuate for something like that."

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I just cleaned up the pile of crap in my yard from my oak tree. Very thankful that is all the clean-up I'll be doing other than putting stuff out again and taking down the plywood.

I'm getting tore up this weekend. Damn AIC concert is cancelled.

Fac

Oct 12, 2021
I just cleaned up the pile of crap in my yard from my oak tree. Very thankful that is all the clean-up I'll be doing other than putting stuff out again and taking down the plywood.

I'm getting tore up this weekend. Damn AIC concert is cancelled.
Where do you live OD?

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Hit by the northern eyewall of the storm with 100+ mph winds. Home built to withstand 200 mph winds did fine except for a couple loose decorative roof tiles. Lost a couple panels from pool cage, one due to fallen magnolia tree. Lost one palm tree and that is the extent of the damage.

Lots of devastation south of here. I don't know much other than that since I just got data back on my phone and cable and internet been out since 3PM yesterday when the eyewall hit. My practice partner lost her condo on Sanibel, which was absolutely devastated by the storm due to storm surge and SE eyewall winds.

We did not lose power, but we are on the grid with a fire station that is next to our development and they make sure the emergency services have power. We are in evacuation zone D so unless a powerful Cat 5 storm like Andrew we will no be under evacuation orders. So far we have made it through a Cat 2 (Irma) and borderline Cat 5 storms relatively unscathed. But if a strong Cat 5 was coming directly for us, I would leave and go to my daughter's place in Orlando.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Hit by the northern eyewall of the storm with 100+ mph winds. Home built to withstand 200 mph winds did fine except for a couple loose decorative roof tiles. Lost a couple panels from pool cage, one due to fallen magnolia tree. Lost one palm tree and that is the extent of the damage.

Lots of devastation south of here. I don't know much other than that since I just got data back on my phone and cable and internet been out since 3PM yesterday when the eyewall hit. My practice partner lost her condo on Sanibel, which was absolutely devastated by the storm due to storm surge and SE eyewall winds.

We did not lose power, but we are on the grid with a fire station that is next to our development and they make sure the emergency services have power. We are in evacuation zone D so unless a powerful Cat 5 storm like Andrew we will no be under evacuation orders. So far we have made it through a Cat 2 (Irma) and borderline Cat 5 storms relatively unscathed. But if a strong Cat 5 was coming directly for us, I would leave and go to my daughter's place in Orlando.

Glad to hear you are ok.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

Glad you are ok and relatively unscathed. That is what I see and that is many of the newer homes built to the latest codes structurally are fine. It's the older homes and mobile homes that took it on the chin. I was surprised to see so many homes on Sanibel still intact and not too much damage. They were built to the new codes and most likely all have water damage. My house here in Delray Beach on the east coast was built around 2000 and has all the latest updates in it. I stay for Cat 3 and lower and leave for 4/5. I also have a whole house standby generator but Cat 5 to me is not worth staying and possibly losing life. My grandparents house (sold about 10 years ago) in Ft Myers Beach was on a canal right off the GOM and on stilts but I can't imagine how that house made it. When I am over your way calling on hospitals for work I will take a ride by it to see how it fared. Glad to hear you are ok. Big client of mine Fawcett Hospital in Port Charlotte took a big hit. Roof ripped off 4th floor and 1st floor flooded with the storm surge. Had to put patients on floors 2-3 with 3-4 patients in every room. When the roof ripped off patients in ICU on venilators had rain pouring onto them. Waterfalls going down the stairs in the hospital.

stater02

Jan 17, 2022
Be careful, a lot of car jackings and shootings has been happening lately.
So I’ve heard, but I haven’t felt unsafe at all during my time here. That said, I’m not partying on Bourbon street at 2am, either.

Headed back tomorrow to assess damage. My main property is inland Naples and escaped serious damage from what I’m told. But there’s no power, water, or cell service so I have to go assess myself. Several hospitals have been evacuated due to damage and lack of clean, running water. I have no idea which roads are even passable. I know too many folks in Ft Myers, Naples and Bonita who lost everything. I may have gotten lucky.

Surreal to see Sanibel. I was just over there on Saturday, and had dinner in Captiva on Sunday. Might be months until the causeway bridge is rebuilt, longer until it returns to normal.

I can’t help but wonder what this will do to prices in this market, which are already high. Will they go up as people seek short term options while they rebuild, or do people leave after an experience like this one (see also, Katrina).

Last edited:

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
So I’ve heard, but I haven’t felt unsafe at all during my time here. That said, I’m not partying on Bourbon street at 2am, either.

Headed back tomorrow to assess damage. My main property is inland Naples and escaped serious damage from what I’m told. But there’s no power, water, or cell service so I have to go assess myself. Several hospitals have been evacuated due to damage and lack of clean, running water. I have no idea which roads are even passable. I know too many folks in Ft Myers, Naples and Bonita who lost everything. I may have gotten lucky.

Surreal to see Sanibel. I was just over there on Saturday, and had dinner in Captiva on Sunday. Might be months until the causeway bridge is rebuilt, longer until it returns to normal.

I can’t help but wonder what this will do to prices in this market, which are already high. Will they go up as people seek short term options while they rebuild, or do people leave after an experience like this one (see also, Katrina).
It will be years before Sanibel is back to normal unfortunately. A host of people will realize their insurance doesn't cover storm surge. Another group of people will realize their insurance won't pay out enough to rebuild their homes to the latest codes (happened a lot with Irma in the Keys). Some businesses will choose not to rebuild. Some businesses will not be allowed to rebuild because they were grandfathered and zoning changes prevent it.
I feel for those folks who are permanent residents.

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

PSUAXE70

Oct 12, 2021

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
It will be years before Sanibel is back to normal unfortunately. A host of people will realize their insurance doesn't cover storm surge. Another group of people will realize their insurance won't pay out enough to rebuild their homes to the latest codes (happened a lot with Irma in the Keys). Some businesses will choose not to rebuild. Some businesses will not be allowed to rebuild because they were grandfathered and zoning changes prevent it.
I feel for those folks who are permanent residents.
Flood insurance doesn’t count as storm surge?

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Flood insurance doesn’t count as storm surge?
Flood does....but flood is never part of your regular homeowners. It is a separate policy.

I don't know Sanibels flood zones. They may have areas that don't require flood insurance.

I live 2 blocks from the beach and...shockingly...I am NOT required to have flood insurance. I carry it because I feel it would be stupid not to, but a lot of my neighbors don't.

Reactions: ODShowtime

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Oh. You are a smart man. In Myrtle everyone on ocean side of 17 running parallel to ocean is required to have flood insurance. So my restaurant and house has it. Eye of storm now moving toward us. Others west of 17 opt to get flood insurance just in case especially in low country.

Reactions: PSU87

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Oh. You are a smart man. In Myrtle everyone on ocean side of 17 running parallel to ocean is required to have flood insurance. So my restaurant and house has it. Eye of storm now moving toward us. Others west of 17 opt to get flood insurance just in case especially in low country.
I will say the couple of people I know that have made flood insurance claims have been less than satisfied with the dollar amounts paid. One friend got nothing because it only impacted his house, and to be defined as a flood it has to impact at least 2 properties....

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
PS....stay safe and keep your eyes open. People laughed at me when I put my hurricane shutters up when we were only supposed to get TS force winds. Then the projected CAT2/CAT3 landfall turned into CAT4/5 and they weren't laughing anymore....

Reactions: ODShowtime

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I will say the couple of people I know that have made flood insurance claims have been less than satisfied with the dollar amounts paid. One friend got nothing because it only impacted his house, and to be defined as a flood it has to impact at least 2 properties....
Lol. That isn’t good. Usually named storm will do it.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Just saw the pics of the Sanibel Lighthouse. Mother Nature has claimed a chunk of land back there as well as knocked out all the buildings around it. Leaving the Lighthouse severely damaged with a support leg knocked out and in danger of falling.

• Sad
Reactions: PSU87

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Lol. That isn’t good. Usually named storm will do it.
I live on a barrier island, so between the ocean and the Intracoastal there's plenty of places for water to go.

We will get some localized street flooding, but even during TS Fay when we got 27" of rain very few houses flooded.

My friend just got very unlucky with the topography of his property, and water ended up collecting on his porch then flowing into his house.

Latest posts