OT Fleck

phatcat_rivals223240

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2001
19,182
1,285
113
I used to loathe this guy. His shtick seemed so fake. But.. he's a crazy man. Did you see him wipe the player's blood on his face like warpaint? Then this week he soaked himself drinking from the little brown jug and then ran/leapt into a group of players like a mosh pit. He's actually kind of a lovable kook.
 

zeek55

Junior
Nov 21, 2010
3,669
328
83
I used to be the same on Fleck. I think most people viewed him as a caricature and largely in it for self-promotion (the whole Row the Boat brand building) at Minnesota. And that he would take a flight out to a bigger program quickly.

But he's stuck to it there and they've had solid seasons since he came. He seems to enjoy being their HC and isn't looking to jump.

I tend to hope that the West programs generally do well (with the exception of Illinois of course).
 

phatcat_rivals223240

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2001
19,182
1,285
113
I used to be the same on Fleck. I think most people viewed him as a caricature and largely in it for self-promotion (the whole Row the Boat brand building) at Minnesota. And that he would take a flight out to a bigger program quickly.

But he's stuck to it there and they've had solid seasons since he came. He seems to enjoy being their HC and isn't looking to jump.

I tend to hope that the West programs generally do well (with the exception of Illinois of course).
B1G West forever
 

Eurocat

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
18,276
1,188
113
I've always liked Fleck. Spirited guy who has built a team that plays hard and clean and down the to the last whistle.
 

Rodenthater

Sophomore
Jan 1, 2013
894
127
43
I live here in the people's republic of Minnesota and I've had to pay for a new rodent stadium and an ice arena, Viking stadium ( twice), a new Twins stadium and a new Wild arena. They haven't won anything...yet! Every time they lose I love it! When we beat them/Fleck it makes my day!! Can't wait to be there for the Rutgers game!!! GO CATS!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: GECat2 and mickbula

phatcat_rivals223240

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2001
19,182
1,285
113
I live here in the people's republic of Minnesota and I've had to pay for a new rodent stadium and an ice arena, Viking stadium ( twice), a new Twins stadium and a new Wild arena. They haven't won anything...yet! Every time they lose I love it! When we beat them/Fleck it makes my day!! Can't wait to be there for the Rutgers game!!! GO CATS!!!
You going to the NU MN game?
 

Fanaticat98

Senior
May 29, 2001
9,331
948
113
I live here in the people's republic of Minnesota and I've had to pay for a new rodent stadium and an ice arena, Viking stadium ( twice), a new Twins stadium and a new Wild arena. They haven't won anything...yet! Every time they lose I love it! When we beat them/Fleck it makes my day!! Can't wait to be there for the Rutgers game!!! GO CATS!!!
I also lived in MN for many years including several years at UMN after NU. Despite having a graduate degree from UMN I also relish in seeing them lose. I was in person for the Brendan Smith walk off pick six game, that was great. Fleck is who he is but he seems to make it about himself.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rmndcat

Rodenthater

Sophomore
Jan 1, 2013
894
127
43
I also lived in MN for many years including several years at UMN after NU. Despite having a graduate degree from UMN I also relish in seeing them lose. I was in person for the Brendan Smith walk off pick six game, that was great. Fleck is who he is but he seems to make it about himself.
I was there too. Bazana (spelling) went wild running on them?
 

Sheffielder

Senior
Sep 1, 2004
10,061
869
113
For Fleck I've never thought his schtick was fake...just extremely annoying. He's just not everyone's cup of tea, but total respect for his entire run at Minny so far...he's definitely kept them legit while many comparable programs struggle to find their feet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hdhntr1 and HKKJB

Rodenthater

Sophomore
Jan 1, 2013
894
127
43
66 years without getting a sniff of even a Big Ten title! They've had their dark ages too. Anybody remember 1984--Nebraska 84 rodents 13!
 
May 29, 2001
7,303
338
56
While recognizing he’s probably been a good fit for Minny, I just haven’t been much of a fan. He seems to have been more of a character than a coach who has done much with their program.
 

hdhntr1

All-Conference
Sep 5, 2006
38,588
1,468
113
I used to be the same on Fleck. I think most people viewed him as a caricature and largely in it for self-promotion (the whole Row the Boat brand building) at Minnesota. And that he would take a flight out to a bigger program quickly.

But he's stuck to it there and they've had solid seasons since he came. He seems to enjoy being their HC and isn't looking to jump.

I tend to hope that the West programs generally do well (with the exception of Illinois of course).
While many here have not liked his anticts, they should remember that we are not his audience and it really doesn't matter what we think, He is trying to draw in the MINN fans, As far as him constantly looking for a bigger better program? It is his 10th year there and as others have found out you constantly have to be aware of what is out there, cause you never know when things are going to change, Never really had any kind of problem with him
 

hdhntr1

All-Conference
Sep 5, 2006
38,588
1,468
113
While recognizing he’s probably been a good fit for Minny, I just haven’t been much of a fan. He seems to have been more of a character than a coach who has done much with their program.
While he has not been spectacular, he has been pretty consistent with a .609 WP at MN. While it is not getting them to the playoffs, it is pretty solid for MN. If you are not a MN fan, you don't have to like him but probably should respect him for what he has done there,
 
  • Like
Reactions: Yeswecat

Fanaticat98

Senior
May 29, 2001
9,331
948
113
What in the world happened. I didn’t watch any of the game as the big evening games were pretty crazy. I expected Minny would have won as I begrudgingly thought Fleck was putting it together, breaking the mold of not winning tough road games (Wash) and their big trophy games (Mich) and then they get absolutely housed by Purdue??

Purdue’s RB Ijeboi just transferred from Minnesota because he didn’t want to sit behind Darius Taylor another year, and tonight he had 195 rushing yards 😅

They will still be a tough game in Minneapolis if we don’t get our stuff together in the secondary.
 

JustGary

Senior
Oct 7, 2025
306
428
63
What in the world happened. I didn’t watch any of the game as the big evening games were pretty crazy. I expected Minny would have won as I begrudgingly thought Fleck was putting it together, breaking the mold of not winning tough road games (Wash) and their big trophy games (Mich) and then they get absolutely housed by Purdue??

Purdue’s RB Ijeboi just transferred from Minnesota because he didn’t want to sit behind Darius Taylor another year, and tonight he had 195 rushing yards 😅

They will still be a tough game in Minneapolis if we don’t get our stuff together in the secondary.
Minny had problems with wide open offenses. Mississippi State burned them and now Purdue. I think Chip can put together a plan to take advantage of that.
 
Wildcat Report

Latest

  1. 01 Wildcat Report Northwestern vs. Ball State PFF Snaps Analysis
  2. 02 Wildcat Report Takeaways: Wildcats have plenty to work on past the box score in 45-14 win over Ball State
  3. 03 Wildcat Report Cats roll over Ball State, 45-14, in uninspiring rout
  4. 04 Wildcat Report Fearless Forecast: Ball State vs. Northwestern
  5. 05 On3 NIL Northwestern agrees to 10-year extension on Under Armour deal, will receive increased NIL investment