OT: Going to the Masters for a practice round. Advice?

rem524

Oct 28, 2021
Off-topic post...
I was lucky enough to get Masters tickets for the Tuesday practice round on April 9. Have any of you attended and can you share some advice on how to make the most of the day? I'm mostly looking forward to just getting to go to Augusta National and seeing the course in person. I attended a practice round for the US Sr. Open a bunch of years ago and it was great to watch the players practice their way around the course. Since it's a practice round, we are allowed to bring cameras in with us. I'm getting a compact camera to bring along.

Any advice on making the most of the day is greatly appreciated. I'm coming off heart surgery six weeks ago so I'm not back to "full speed" but I'm doing pretty well. I am going to try to be somewhat efficient on getting around but I want to see as much of the course as possible.

BTW, the going price on Stubhub for that day is as high as $1,300+/ticket and Stubhub lists that as a "Good" price. That's insane!

Thanks!

Reactions: Bwifan

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Off-topic post...
I was lucky enough to get Masters tickets for the Tuesday practice round on April 9. Have any of you attended and can you share some advice on how to make the most of the day? I'm mostly looking forward to just getting to go to Augusta National and seeing the course in person. I attended a practice round for the US Sr. Open a bunch of years ago and it was great to watch the players practice their way around the course. Since it's a practice round, we are allowed to bring cameras in with us. I'm getting a compact camera to bring along.

Any advice on making the most of the day is greatly appreciated. I'm coming off heart surgery six weeks ago so I'm not back to "full speed" but I'm doing pretty well. I am going to try to be somewhat efficient on getting around but I want to see as much of the course as possible.

BTW, the going price on Stubhub for that day is as high as $1,300+/ticket and Stubhub lists that as a "Good" price. That's insane!

Thanks!
Augusta is a private club, so don’t tell anybody you’re Jewish! Also, if you buy a bucket hat you get a free bowl of soup!

• Haha
Reactions: jp3272 and rudedude

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Off-topic post...

Thanks!
Course is ALOT of hills that TV does not do justice. It is a hilly course, take that into account.

Reactions: rem524

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
Off-topic post...

Thanks!
If you plan to get there early go straight to the merchandise center, buy your stuff, and then place it in a locker nearby so that you are not lugging it around. The Merch area gets very busy as the day goes on and people have seen most of the course.

Start at one and if you are up for it walk the course in the order of play. You get a sense for the challenges the course presents and the strategy involved in playing the course.

Stay away from the headliners (you know who they are). They attract the biggest crowds and you getting rope side to see these guy crush a golf ball will be limited if not possible at all. Catch a glimpse of them when you can and then find more obscure players to follow to watch some of the more interesting shots. Trust me, even the lesser-known players are amazing to watch.

The best shots to observe: going for it in two on 13 and 15. The tee shot on 16 if you stand up by the green. Second shot into number 1 (the green is wicked) and the second shot into no. 2. Stand behind the tees at Nos. 4 and 6, both par threes. And of course get a place between 11 and 12 to watch the approach to 11 and the tee shot on 12.

Some folks like the practice areas to watch many golfers at once. It's fun but very crowded. The course is the real attraction.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
My biggest tip was something that someone shared with me in 2019 before my first time, and was fantastic.

Get to the parking lot at least 45 minutes before the posted time of gates opening (they'll list it at 8am I believe, so 7:15am), and use the South Gate to enter (so ideally, look at a map beforehand and try to come into the course so that you're entering the lot over on that side). It will take a bit to walk over to the gate, and they will check tickets right then and allow you through the gate. Follow the signs to Amen Corner, and you'll eventually end up at a yellow rope back in the woods with a few members greeting you and talking to the crowd. Also a bathroom and merch store there on the way that you can stop at so that you're ready to go.

At around 7:45-7:50ish, they'll pull back the rope and allow you to enter. There were only a few dozen people there both times I went coming in this way. It brings you out right by the 14th tee, and you'll look to your right and see the 13th green. You can stop there and soak it in, take some pictures, etc, and then head straight to 12. Both times we went, we were in the first handful of people reaching 12 and got some great pictures, and got to soak in Amen Corner with hardly anyone else around. After soaking it in for about 10 minutes, you'll hear the masses coming down the 10th towards the 11th, and then coming down 11.

The first group or two off are often the biggest groups of the day (both times, it was Tiger, JT, Couples in the first group), and you can have a front row seat. Seems that a huge majority of those coming in use the main gate (and it's a good walk to get in and get down to Amen Corner from that direction), do merchandise first, etc. Our strategy really maximized the start of the day. Then, after you've seen a few groups, there is a concession stand right behind the 12th tee to grab your coffee and breakfast.

That's the best tip that I can offer, and glad it was passed down to me.

Beyond that, something else I really liked was the interactions with other patrons, volunteers, members, etc. I'm always wearing PSU stuff, so I had a great talk with a guy working in the media that was a PSU grad behind the 7th green for a while about our time at PSU, football, his job covering golf and many trips to the Masters, etc. Was talking to a member that asked where I was from at the 11th tee, and when I said NJ, the girl next to me told me that she was born in NJ but moved away when she was younger. As we got talking more, it turned out that she was Scottie Scheffler's sister, and I saw her on TV hugging him 4 days later after he won. Always interesting talking to the Volunteers and hearing how far they've come, how many years they've been doing it, favorite memories, etc. Played High School golf against Jordan Spieth's agent, and bumped into him under the Oak Tree and relived some old memories.

It's just such a great day, so enjoy every minute of it. Believe it or not, I went twice and didn't buy a single thing either time. I'm more of a "live in the moment" guy, and had no interest spending time in line for merch that I could spend out on the course.

Last edited:

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Also, note that one time i went, my mom was with us and had a handicap card on the car...they shuttled us on golf carts right from our cars to the South Gate's entrance...take advantage of it to save energy.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Things to yell after a golfer tees off so we know its you on TV:
Go Birds!!
Lay up Tin Cup!!
We Are....

Open to more suggestions

• Haha

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Professional golf at a historically racist golf course run by a racist group of members who hand out their jacket. I don’t get it. Again, like wrestling i don’t get the appeal. I enjoyed the last us open at Pinehurst here in NC (great week of activities) and I never miss the British Open on tv (my wife thinks I’m nuts getting up early). But the Masters? Overpriced as well according to my buddies who go.

• Wow
Reactions: NittanyBuff

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Off-topic post...

Thanks!
Start your steps now. Very hilly. Don’t ever run or they will yell out you. Food is very cheap at the event. Park across street and shopping center.

Reactions: Richie83 and rem524

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Professional golf at a historically racist golf course run by a racist group of members who hand out their jacket. I don’t get it. Again, like wrestling i don’t get the appeal. I enjoyed the last us open at Pinehurst here in NC (great week of activities) and I never miss the British Open on tv (my wife thinks I’m nuts getting up early). But the Masters? Overpriced as well according to my buddies who go.
Overpriced? That has to be a joke. There isn't a better value in sports.

And I'm sure their black members would find it interesting to hear that they are racist.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I have been there and the nostalgia is great. I would much rather watch on tv for the 4 rounds that count. Went there on a Sunday and missed most of the action that occurs when they cut to other players on the course. Watching live cuts out the drama and excitement that builds.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
That's better. Pimento cheese sandwiches aren't great. Unless you're baked.

Even then... ugh the pimentos... vom

So I never knew because she never tells us stuff like this, but my Mom really wanted to go to the Masters and finally did with some golf friends a few years ago. She got to watch Thursday or practice or whatever. I'm really happy about this but I wonder what other dreams she sacrificed for our dreams that I don't know about.

Oh well cats in the cradle and all of that.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Even then... ugh the pimentos... vom

So I never knew because she never tells us stuff like this, but my Mom really wanted to go to the Masters and finally did with some golf friends a few years ago. She got to watch Thursday or practice or whatever. I'm really happy about this but I wonder what other dreams she sacrificed for our dreams that I don't know about.

Oh well cats in the cradle and all of that.
You obviously held her back. How do you sleep at night?

Ironman2

Dec 18, 2021
The Masters in the Gre
The Masters at Augusta is one of the Greatest sporting events in the world. Love it there. Overpriced? LMAO.

Reactions: Jpe6Fair and rem524

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
The best shots to observe: going for it in two on 13 and 15. The tee shot on 16 if you stand up by the green. Second shot into number 1 (the green is wicked) and the second shot into no. 2. Stand behind the tees at Nos. 4 and 6, both par threes. And of course get a place between 11 and 12 to watch the approach to 11 and the tee shot on 12.
THIS ^^^^.

Reactions: BW Lion and rem524

Jpe6Fair

Oct 31, 2021
My biggest tip was something that someone shared with me in 2019 before my first time, and was fantastic.

Get to the parking lot at least 45 minutes before the posted time of gates opening (they'll list it at 8am I believe, so 7:15am), and use the South Gate to enter (so ideally, look at a map beforehand and try to come into the course so that you're entering the lot over on that side). It will take a bit to walk over to the gate, and they will check tickets right then and allow you through the gate. Follow the signs to Amen Corner, and you'll eventually end up at a yellow rope back in the woods with a few members greeting you and talking to the crowd. Also a bathroom and merch store there on the way that you can stop at so that you're ready to go.

At around 7:45-7:50ish, they'll pull back the rope and allow you to enter. There were only a few dozen people there both times I went coming in this way. It brings you out right by the 14th tee, and you'll look to your right and see the 13th green. You can stop there and soak it in, take some pictures, etc, and then head straight to 12. Both times we went, we were in the first handful of people reaching 12 and got some great pictures, and got to soak in Amen Corner with hardly anyone else around. After soaking it in for about 10 minutes, you'll hear the masses coming down the 10th towards the 11th, and then coming down 11.

The first group or two off are often the biggest groups of the day (both times, it was Tiger, JT, Couples in the first group), and you can have a front row seat. Seems that a huge majority of those coming in use the main gate (and it's a good walk to get in and get down to Amen Corner from that direction), do merchandise first, etc. Our strategy really maximized the start of the day. Then, after you've seen a few groups, there is a concession stand right behind the 12th tee to grab your coffee and breakfast.

That's the best tip that I can offer, and glad it was passed down to me.

Beyond that, something else I really liked was the interactions with other patrons, volunteers, members, etc. I'm always wearing PSU stuff, so I had a great talk with a guy working in the media that was a PSU grad behind the 7th green for a while about our time at PSU, football, his job covering golf and many trips to the Masters, etc. Was talking to a member that asked where I was from at the 11th tee, and when I said NJ, the girl next to me told me that she was born in NJ but moved away when she was younger. As we got talking more, it turned out that she was Scottie Scheffler's sister, and I saw her on TV hugging him 4 days later after he won. Always interesting talking to the Volunteers and hearing how far they've come, how many years they've been doing it, favorite memories, etc. Played High School golf against Jordan Spieth's agent, and bumped into him under the Oak Tree and relived some old memories.

It's just such a great day, so enjoy every minute of it. Believe it or not, I went twice and didn't buy a single thing either time. I'm more of a "live in the moment" guy, and had no interest spending time in line for merch that I could spend out on the course.
This is all good advice. I won the lottery for Tuesday’s practice round in 2023. The weather was perfect, and the forecast was storms at the end of the week which did happen (a tree fell over if you remember).

Go to the pro shop first thing - there will be a line but there is always a line all day long (crazy long but it moves fast). You are allowed 1 reentry so you can take your stuff to the car.

Garden gnomes are the hot item - if you see it grab it! They won’t be there long. Most things are reasonably priced (relatively). I saw people drop $1k easy there - polos are like $90 and they were buying handfuls. A suggestion - get a Master’s flag (I got 2). Most players won’t sign for adults (Olazabal signed mine), but more importantly get everyone in your group to sign one! I gave mine with those signatures to my son - he was in our group - at some point in time in the future he’ll likely be the only one around and should be a good memory.

The food is cheap.

Finally, remember everything. Every moment. It’s golf heaven.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
Congratulations! It's a bucket list item for so many golfers and lives up to the hype.

My advice:
1) Walk as much of the course as possible. If you're limited, check out the back 9 since it's more well-known and is absolutely beautiful. As others said, much hillier than it appears on TV, so be prepared.
2) Pick a spot to hang out for a while. I liked the bleachers in the far upper corner at 15 green. You can see the eagle approach shot into 15, the Par 3 16th, and the tee shot of 17.
3) Buy the food - even if you think it's gross. A pimento sandwich at the Masters is one of those things you just have to experience in life. For a "free" souvenir, save the plastic cup the use to serve drinks (if they still do that).
4) Buy your merch early and store it if possible. Avoid the crowds afterward. The merch is incredibly affordable, so stock up. And if you like these tips, feel free to pick up some merch for me ;)

Here's my writeup on my experience from years ago. I wish I could get back there. Absolutely gorgeous place. Consider yourself lucky to be able to experience it!

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
Off-topic post...

Thanks!
rem: It would be great if you could report back to us on how it went for you at Augusta National, I hope you have a great experience, and am fairly sure you will.

rem524

Oct 28, 2021
rem: It would be great if you could report back to us on how it went for you at Augusta National, I hope you have a great experience, and am fairly sure you will.
I will definitely do that. I appreciate all of the great advice in these responses and I am totally looking forward to spending the day there. I’ll even have to try a pimento cheese sandwich! :)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
This is all good advice. I won the lottery for Tuesday’s practice round in 2023. The weather was perfect, and the forecast was storms at the end of the week which did happen (a tree fell over if you remember).

Go to the pro shop first thing - there will be a line but there is always a line all day long (crazy long but it moves fast). You are allowed 1 reentry so you can take your stuff to the car.

Garden gnomes are the hot item - if you see it grab it! They won’t be there long. Most things are reasonably priced (relatively). I saw people drop $1k easy there - polos are like $90 and they were buying handfuls. A suggestion - get a Master’s flag (I got 2). Most players won’t sign for adults (Olazabal signed mine), but more importantly get everyone in your group to sign one! I gave mine with those signatures to my son - he was in our group - at some point in time in the future he’ll likely be the only one around and should be a good memory.

The food is cheap.

Finally, remember everything. Every moment. It’s golf heaven.
Your last line reminds me of the time I was in Milwaukee’s Harley Davidson Museum. (Very very highly recommended, just an amazing experience.) I backed into a ZZ-Top guy with a leather jacket and chains, 6’5’’, 250 pounds, every casting directors ideal biker.

Me: Oh, excuse me.
Oh, no problem.
Been here before?
Nope.
This must be heaven to you.
Heaven, heaven, heaven.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Congratultions on getting the practice round tickets. I'm in the lottery every year and have been to a practice round and a Thursday session.

- Get there early. Stay till the end. How many times do you get to visit Augusta National?
- Agreed on buying your merchandise and having it stored. You don't want to lug it around all day. There was a trailer set up in the parking area when I attended and I bought even more stuff before going home as well.
- Food is cheap. Drink and stay hydrated. If you see a short line to a mens room, take it. Women love to see the long line to the mens room.
- I walked the course front and back to get a better perspective of the course than you see on TV. Started at one walked to 18, imagine yourself playing the course, and then I walked it in reverse. At my age now, I probably would just walk it once.
- At 16 players will be skipping tee shots off the water on to the green. Great place to sit a while and watch the players relaxed and enjoying themselves. Turtles coming out of the water pretty neat.
- Take a lot of pictures. Great to get a photo of yourself with the 13th green behind you in the background, the azaleas on #16, as well as the USA map in flowers near Magnolia Lane.

Hope the weather cooperates and you have a gorgeous day.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Off-topic post...

Thanks!

Pretty much as others have said. Wear comfortable sneakers the course is so many hills and much steeper than TV shows. Really walk the course and enjoy it. The sites and site lines are incredible. The amazing thing for me was seeing the undulations in the greens. TV doesn't come close to showing how crazy those greens are. On TV they talk about landing in the right spot on the green regardless of where the pin is located. Think of splitting the green into 4 quarters or 6 sections and landing the ball in those sections forgetting where the pin is located. Otherwise you end up with 3 putts or rolling off the green. You will see that first hand with the large mounds on the greens. Enjoy it, an amazing place.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Maybe I am but I live in the South and have for a long time. Much prefer the US Open at Pinehurst.

I think CBS has a done good job of creating excitement around the Masters but its not exactly a club for the everyman, nor would be right filling their coffers.

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe I am but I live in the South and have for a long time. Much prefer the US Open at Pinehurst.

I think CBS has a done good job of creating excitement around the Masters but its not exactly a club for the everyman, nor would be right filling their coffers.
I've been to the US Open and the Ryder Cup and The Masters. Each was great in it's own way.

A black friend of mine will be flying in a private jet to take in The Masters on Friday. It's not 1974 any more

Reactions: Bosco2

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Thought the Crow’s Nest beer was really good, and still drink out of the cups. Those alone were worth the $.

Michaelion

Oct 13, 2021
-Try to find a blade of grass that is out of place…the grounds, bathrooms, etc. are immaculate. I was there a day after heavy rain and the place looked like new. You will not see a trash bin close to overflowing.
-The workers go through extensive training and are super hospitable because they never know when there’s an “undercover boss” type situation.
-if you encounter a member in a green jacket, ask him if he works there (kidding). Seriously, every member I encountered was quite cordial.
-If in doubt about something in the merchandise areas, buy it because you don’t know when you will get back there.
-Keep an eye peeled for famous patrons who are wondering the grounds. They don’t get any special privileges to walk between the ropes. I walked along a fairway talking with Penny Hardaway…mainly about how much the Sixers must regret taking Shawn Bradley 2nd when he was available at 3 😩
-Enjoy the experience!