OT: Here's one we can all get behind

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I wonder if our grandparents thought the same about Rockefeller & Standard Oil?
They probably did. If you're thinking the 30s were a kumbayah moment where everyone agreed that trust busting was needed....it wasn't. The same type folks fought tooth and nail to prevent it, with mostly the same arguments. The Democrats, for one time only, hiked up their britches, ignored the wailing from the right and the media, and did what needed to be done.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They probably did. If you're thinking the 30s were a kumbayah moment where everyone agreed that trust busting was needed....it wasn't. The same type folks fought tooth and nail to prevent it, with mostly the same arguments. The Democrats, for one time only, hiked up their britches, ignored the wailing from the right and the media, and did what needed to be done.
Your grandparents despised the monopolies. Most people back then knew what it was like to be poor & taken advantage of. Most people today don’t.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Your grandparents despised the monopolies. Most people back then knew what it was like to be poor & taken advantage of. Most people today don’t.
That's the textbook view, but in my advancing age I no longer believe it. There was a political party opposed to busting trusts (the Republicans of course), and they may have lost elections in that period but they weren't losing 99 to 1. A lot of people were voting for them, so presumably those lots of people were buying those arguments that "monopolies are good ackshually".

Reactions: dorndawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Counterpoint- some people want to spend 20 of their good years enjoying things like live music experiences, and not enough people are going to boycott TM/LN to tip the scales and change things.
Our economy is regulated and it is regulated for many reasons- one of which is to help ensure there is a general balance between cost and service(value).

I go to 40 - 50 shows a year.

Some are free (Mississippi Makers Fest earlier this month). Some involve a little travel but don’t deal with Ticketmaster (Molly Tuttle and Sierra Hull). Some are local that use Ticketmaster (Ardenland).

The ones I hate are the big act tours where typically I have to travel and fees are sky high.

In the end though, I doubt costs will actually drop. TM/LN, and others, can display the full cost of a ticket up front, instead of hiding the fees until the end at checkout, and nothing will change. TM/LN has to make money for their services and sites, and it doesnt matter how those costs are displayed, they need to make that money.
TM claims their value is justified in their service, yet when Swift's tour a couple years ago went live, countless people who were supposed to have access to tickets were screwed because TM's website screwed up. Its the very opposite of what they claim.

Swifties are hardcore. They showed the weakness of TMLN

The real issue is how few tickets are available to actual fans, and how many go to resellers. Those people/companies dont actually provide value to the end user, they just participate in creating price surges thru speculative buying, bot buying, and other practices.
Resale markets need to be $0 profit. If you cant go to a concert/event- sell the tickets for what you paid. The resale market needs to be digitized so it shows transfer of ownership and cost paid. This resale market needs to be hosted/funded by the RIAA or something like that to ensure there is $0 cost and transactions are secure.
Blockchain time!**...sorta.

It already exists.

Love this site.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's the textbook view, but in my advancing age I no longer believe it. There was a political party opposed to busting trusts (the Republicans of course), and they may have lost elections in that period but they weren't losing 99 to 1. A lot of people were voting for them, so presumably those lots of people were buying those arguments that "monopolies are good ackshually".
Democrats had the presidency every year but 4 from 1933 to 1969. The lone Republican was a war hero. And they held majorities in both houses of Congress for all but 4 years from 1933 to 1981.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Democrats had the presidency every year but 4 from 1933 to 1969. The lone Republican was a war hero. And they held majorities in both houses of Congress for all but 4 years from 1933 to 1981.
How many votes were the Republicans getting? What percent of the population?

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
The real issue is how few tickets are available to actual fans, and how many go to resellers. Those people/companies dont actually provide value to the end user, they just participate in creating price surges thru speculative buying, bot buying, and other practices.

Agree. This is the problem that needs to be fixed.