OT: I Bet She Has A 30A Sticker On Her Telluride

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Sadly this is most likely true. We have been to Yellowstone probably 15 times and you just can’t believe how stupid people can be in a natural environment. It’s probably mostly city folks but wow, they are seriously dumb and clueless.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Saw this episode of Nature on PBS recently. It’s very disturbing how much they’re letting that bear interact with so many people. Predictably, towards the end one of the cubs had to be euthanized.

short summary: they’re just routinely letting people gather by the hundreds near the bear to take pictures.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Sadly this is most likely true. We have been to Yellowstone probably 15 times and you just can’t believe how stupid people can be in a natural environment. It’s probably mostly city folks but wow, they are seriously dumb and clueless.

I assume all they know of wildlife is city parks and zoos, so they just assume...

The Flora rube has a deeper issue in terms of genetics.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Saw this episode of Nature on PBS recently. It’s very disturbing how much they’re letting that bear interact with so many people. Predictably, towards the end one of the cubs had to be euthanized.

short summary: they’re just routinely letting people gather by the hundreds near the bear to take pictures.

Bear car jams in the Tetons and Yellowstone is a very real thing. Same with Bison, moose, elk, wolves, and about everything else with 4 legs. The Bison hurt the most people. Most of the time they are just grazing peacefully and some clueless people treat them like cows. Unfortunately they are huge and can get real unhappy real fast. One of the last times I was in the park we were watching a nice little herd of elk with a good bull in it. Some guy came along and started explaining to his family that they were seeing some moose. I didn’t say anything and just let him bask in his ignorance.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Bear car jams in the Tetons and Yellowstone is a very real thing. Same with Bison, moose, elk, wolves, and about everything else with 4 legs. The Bison hurt the most people. Most of the time they are just grazing peacefully and some clueless people treat them like cows. Unfortunately they are huge and can get real unhappy real fast. One of the last times I was in the park we were watching a nice little herd of elk with a good bull in it. Some guy came along and started explaining to his family that they were seeing some moose. I didn’t say anything and just let him bask in his ignorance.

They were lucky a tiger didn't come in looking for moose burger.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Some guy came along and started explaining to his family that they were seeing some moose. I didn’t say anything and just let him bask in his ignorance.
A little off topic, but I'm coaching the local Babe Ruth team in its inaugural season. Poor kids don't get to play baseball here between 12u and High school until this year.

Anyhow, one of the Dad's is a graphic designer and created the team mascot/logo/unis... Pretty sweet. Just got my hat in the other day and pick up uniforms tomorrow for first game next week...

1000013659.jpg
1000013660.png

Now I am working on a knuckleball with all of my pitchers.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Cades Cove in the Smokies will make you lose your religion

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
A little off topic, but I'm coaching the local Babe Ruth team in its inaugural season. Poor kids don't get to play baseball here between 12u and High school until this year.

Anyhow, one of the Dad's is a graphic designer and created the team mascot/logo/unis... Pretty sweet. Just got my hat in the other day and pick up uniforms tomorrow for first game next week...

View attachment 577378
View attachment 577379

Now I am working on a knuckleball with all of my pitchers.
so the fingernail polish is part of the uniform.. got it

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It’ll never happen, but they need to limit access to a lot of the national parks. I can’t imagine wanting to be a part of those crowds.
Yep. They are actually limiting access in a lot of places now. Arches is capped on daily visitors through a permit system and GTTSR and North Fork in Glacier also come to mind.

We did Yellowstone the first week of October last year. Pulled the kids out of school and did a little fly fishing on the way and in the park while we were there and it felt like we had the place to ourselves at times. I will never go back in the summer again. It was glorious... When I saw this "Bear training request" this morning, I checked in with the wife to confirm we were going again this October and she said oh yeah.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It’ll never happen, but they need to limit access to a lot of the national parks. I can’t imagine wanting to be a part of those crowds.
The key to beating the crowds is to get out early and stay out late. Even the really crowded areas aren't that bad at all before 9am and after 6 pm.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
THIS IS WHAT'S CALLED A TROLL JOB. TOO MANY RUBES FALL FOR IT.
The letter might be fake, it's from about 10 years ago I think, but the sentiment is real. There is a sizeable overlap between the IQs of tourists and bears at Yellowstone.

Just know, if you are a tourist, you're probably an idiot.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Yep. They are actually limiting access in a lot of places now. Arches is capped on daily visitors through a permit system and GTTSR and North Fork in Glacier also come to mind.

We did Yellowstone the first week of October last year. Pulled the kids out of school and did a little fly fishing on the way and in the park while we were there and it felt like we had the place to ourselves at times. I will never go back in the summer again. It was glorious... When I saw this "Bear training request" this morning, I checked in with the wife to confirm we were going again this October and she said oh yeah.
We never go to Yellowstone in the Summer anymore. We try to go in mid September after kids go back to school. It’s a great time to be in the park. All of the animals are real active, the trout are still hitting hoppers, the elk are bugling, and the crowds are much thinner. We are going to make a little road trip in about a week. Going to drive to Vegas for the Mrs. Birthday and then go to Zion, Bryce Canyon, and a couple of other smaller National Parks in Utah. Then headed over to Colorado to see a few spots that we haven’t covered in the past. We did Arches a couple of years ago. Pretty neat place.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
20230128_171314.jpg

High school son: Dad, do you think I can touch a bison?

Me: Yes, yes I do.

Also me (to wife): Film this, it might be hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018

Ole 399 is the most famous Grizzly on the planet. They had a flashing highway construction road sign a couple of years ago warning people to slow down. “Grizzly crossing with cubs next 2 miles”. I have lost track on how many cubs she has produced, but it’s a bunch. It’s really interesting to see how the animals behave in the parks vs how they behave as soon as they cross the border onto National Forest land. And believe me, those elk know EXACTLY where that border is located in their migration routes. There is No fence, just a post once in awhile with a little park sign on it. I have seen them bunch up right next to the post and then when they decide to leave the park, they mostly do it at night. They might ignore people taking pictures of them all Summer but as quick as they move out of the park they get real wild again real quick. They understand that they are safe in the park and that once they are out of the park there is some guy like me looking for them with a 300 win mag. It’s amazing how smart they really are. Applies to the other animals too, it especially the elk.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I've probably posted this before, but in 1999 we were there in a line of stopped cars because there was a bear about 50 yards away. The bear didn't want a crowd, so it went into the woods. Then , some genius that didn't get his wildlife picture, actually followed the bear INTO THE WOODS. We didn't see him for about 10 seconds, then heard a loud loud HELP! He came running out, luckily there was no bear behind him. Wisconsin license plate.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I've probably posted this before, but in 1999 we were there in a line of stopped cars because there was a bear about 50 yards away. The bear didn't want a crowd, so it went into the woods. Then , some genius that didn't get his wildlife picture, actually followed the bear INTO THE WOODS. We didn't see him for about 10 seconds, then heard a loud loud HELP! He came running out, luckily there was no bear behind him. Wisconsin license plate.
Ha! I would have expected either a California or Illinois license plate. Wisconsin people usually have more sence than that. Probably some FIB that moved from Illinois to Wisconsin.