OT: Iowa's consolation prize

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They failed to win the title, but a few of them did get to go on SNL. Too bad SNL has not been relevant for a couple decades or more.

Reactions: Thunderstick

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Who on our team would draw more tv viewers than Caitlin Clark on TV? Caitlin alone would draw more views on TV than all the DIV1 players combined. She is the reason for all this hoopla that's going around.

It will be interesting to see if the Indiana Fever Tickets sales will sell out home games and they went on sale at 4pm right before the draft. I for one have never watched a WNBA game but I will now that Caitlin is with the Fever. Boston and Clark will make a great duo.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Who on our team would draw more tv viewers than Caitlin Clark on TV? Caitlin alone would draw more views on TV than all the DIV1 players combined. She is the reason for all this hoopla that's going around.

It will be interesting to see if the Indiana Fever Tickets sales will sell out home games and they went on sale at 4pm right before the draft. I for one have never watched a WNBA game but I will now that Caitlin is with the Fever. Boston and Clark will make a great duo.

I could not confidently say she's the best women's basketball player. I'm fairly confident she won't have the best pro career from this year's draft class. She is the most marketable.

Reactions: winloseortie

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Just find it ironic that she never actually won anything, and Iowa did not win the title this year, but they seem to be getting the disproportionate amount of press via Clark compared to the team that actually won it and went undefeated and has only lost three games in three years.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Just find it ironic that she never actually won anything, and Iowa did not win the title this year, but they seem to be getting the disproportionate amount of press via Clark compared to the team that actually won it and went undefeated and has only lost three games in three years.
I have my opinion but all you have to do is look at the the teams and that will tell you why USC had the disproportionate amount of press coverage. Say no more. That is my general opinion.

Reactions: adcoop

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I have my opinion but all you have to do is look at the the teams and that will tell you why USC had the disproportionate amount of press coverage. Say no more. That is my general opinion.
I know what you're saying and I've seen the opinion elsewhere. I just find it hard to believe that's the case in this day and age. If anything, I would expect there to be a concerted effort to skew the coverage the other direction.

But, it's happening it seems.

Reactions: Cybercock

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Bingo, you have it, but most people wouldn't have the courage to say it. I don't have a problem with it. Golf received a bump because of Tiger Woods. So, why can't Women's Basketball with Caitlyn Clark. We all like to see the good in ourselves. Nothing wrong with that.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
The one thing I will add is I don't like all the hyperbole from the fans of Clark. The talk of best ever. "Best Ever?" Well, how do they know? Most Caitlin Clark fans started to paying attention to basketball 18 months ago.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Just find it ironic that she never actually won anything
Here's what she's won in the last few weeks (I could not list all 4 years, it would take a while)

Dawn Staley Award
National Player of the Year
TV Ratings (not Iowa, Caitlin Clark)

It's been said many times, the reason she is so beloved by America is because she:
1. Plays for her home state school, not a brand school like UCONN (she's more beloved than Paige)
2. She put her home state university on the map in women's basketball
3. Comes from a 2-parent household with her mother and father
4. She conducts herself accordingly, (she does not embarrass herself, family, university) speaks the English language well when giving an interview and speaks well of others
5. Stays behind after games and signs autographs for her fans even when on the road
6. She supports her teammates and gives them a whole lot of credit as to her success as well

What's not to like? She is an all American girl who made it big!! And won many, many awards & fans along the way.

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022
Here's what she's won in the last few weeks (I could not list all 4 years, it would take a while)

Dawn Staley Award

It's been said many times, the reason she is so beloved by America is because she:
1. Plays for her home state school, not a brand school like UCONN (she's more beloved than Paige)
4. She conducts herself accordingly, (she does not embarrass herself, family, university) speaks the English language well when giving an interview and speaks well of others
5. Stays behind after games and signs autographs for her fans even when on the road
6. She supports her teammates and gives them a whole lot of credit as to her success as well

What's not to like? She is an all American girl who made it big!! And won many, many awards & fans along the way.
I pull for her. She has done great. Not as great as ESPN wanted but great. Not to be disagreeable but sheā€™s a brat. Just watch some film. Sheā€™s a whiner and she cheats. She gets away with it. Sheā€™ll grow out of it and I hope she is one of the best things to happen for Aliyah.

Cybercock

Jan 20, 2022

So I guess that also explains the disproportionate representation of white folks in commercials nowadays, right?
Oh wait, that doesn't fit the narrative.
Most things are about $$$ and/or power. They have nothing to do with some perceived racial motivation.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I pull for her. She has done great. Not as great as ESPN wanted but great. Not to be disagreeable but sheā€™s a brat. Just watch some film. Sheā€™s a whiner and she cheats. She gets away with it. Sheā€™ll grow out of it and I hope she is one of the best things to happen for Aliyah.
What does a brat have to do with anything? If she's a brat, is Angel Reese a foul mouth hood rat? As far as a cheat, she's not cut from that cloth. She is not just good for Aliyah, she's good for the Nation. Dawn just posted that she is the SOLE reason the WNBA might now be relevant.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
So I guess that also explains the disproportionate representation of white folks in commercials nowadays, right?
Oh wait, that doesn't fit the narrative.
Most things are about $$$ and/or power. They have nothing to do with some perceived racial motivation.
What you say 100% accurate. Cannot debate that. All this came in place after the George Floyd situation.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Dawn Staley Award

It's a team sport, right?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Bingo, you have it, but most people wouldn't have the courage to say it. I don't have a problem with it. Golf received a bump because of Tiger Woods. So, why can't Women's Basketball with Caitlyn Clark. We all like to see the good in ourselves. Nothing wrong with that.

It's a different product. If there was a major tournament, Tiger was in it and fans watched. However many WNBA teams there, Clark is only going to be playing in one game, and that's the game fans will watch. They won't be watching the other games.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
What does a brat have to do with anything? If she's a brat, is Angel Reese a foul mouth hood rat? As far as a cheat, she's not cut from that cloth. She is not just good for Aliyah, she's good for the Nation. Dawn just posted that she is the SOLE reason the WNBA might now be relevant.
The man said nothing about Angel Reese. For you to take an unsolicited shot at another player just because everyone is not in love with your favorite player is not cool. Further, the hood rat comment is really not cool. You know nothing about Angel Reese's family. In fact, we all don't know anything about these players except what we see on the court for the most part.

Feb 24, 2024
She's just a star. She radiates star power for a whole host of intricate nuances. She has "it." Like Jay-Z has "it." Like George Clooney has "it." Like Prince had "it." I don't know how to define it, but I know it when I see it.

I also don't think she cheats. She throws that elbow to clear the defender out of reflexive habit because refs haven't consistently called her on it for years. Not her fault.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock

Latest posts