OT: Killed my grass

Awwhellnaw

Jun 29, 2017
Need advice turf guys. In an effort to kill the crabgrass in my centipede, I used Image All-In-One. The product claimed to be safe on pretty well any lawn grass outside of St. Augustine. Applied it at the recommended dosage and two days later, I knew I had effed up. Killed everything but the crabgrass seems to be doing fine! Went back and read the reviews and apparently I’m not the only one who had this result.

So, what can I do from here? I really don’t want to resod. What prep work needs to be done if I want to try reseeding with Bermuda? When we prep food plots, we burn off the dead vegetation but that would likely be frowned upon in my neighborhood.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
1-800-265-0761 call their tech support. A number of folks on their website report trouble on centipede, maybe they will buy you a new grass

Centipedegrass in general had a tough winter and spring. Lots of winter kill and weak turf.

Image all in one (Quinclorac and Sulfentrazone active ingredients) is not the Image (Imazaquin active ingredient) which was mostly a sedge product and used safely in centipedegrass for years. Imazquin was safe on centipedegrass. The MSU weed control guidelines list centipedegrass as being susceptible to quinclorac. The label for quinclorac alone lists centipedegrass as susceptible. Perhaps Image effed up by putting centipedegrass on its label. In general adding Sulfentrazone makes other actives "hotter".

How much shade do you have? Where are you located? Seeded bermuda are ok but better quality can be had by sprigging a vegetatively propagated cultivar.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
1-800-265-0761 call their tech support. A number of folks on their website report trouble on centipede, maybe they will buy you a new grass

Centipedegrass in general had a tough winter and spring. Lots of winter kill and weak turf.

Image all in one (Quinclorac and Sulfentrazone active ingredients) is not the Image (Imazaquin active ingredient) which was mostly a sedge product and used safely in centipedegrass for years. Imazquin was safe on centipedegrass. The MSU weed control guidelines list centipedegrass as being susceptible to quinclorac. The label for quinclorac alone lists centipedegrass as susceptible. Perhaps Image effed up by putting centipedegrass on its label. In general adding Sulfentrazone makes other actives "hotter".

How much shade do you have? Where are you located? Seeded bermuda are ok but better quality can be had by sprigging a vegetatively propagated cultivar.
The only time I used Image was to kill nutgrass-Image is the only thing that will kill it, as far as I know. You definitely have to be careful when applying it for sure.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Happened to me as well. Luckily, I only used it in my back yard. The few clumps of crabgrass in my front yard, I pulled them up roots and all and then fertilized.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Perfect.

Start your front yard veggie garden immediately. You've solved the weed problem.

Cut any remaining patches of pesky lawn and use it to mulch your vegetables.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
St. Augustine was the most beautiful, greenest grass I've had here. Feed it and water it, and you will be rewarded. Scott's Turf Builder with the occasional light weed treatment was all I did other than water the hell out of it.

I destroyed one yard of Bermuda at my first house, and this one I live at now was almost lost because I spent most of the growing season the past two years in the hospital. My sons did a ****** job taking care of it. My youngest and I are trying to reclaim it a little at a time. It's supposed to be a strong El Nino year, so growing grass back should be easier.

If I move again, we are going back to St. Augustine since we will be in an area not as prone to dry conditions.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
We had someone winterize our sprinklers. They apparently broke them in the process and now want $600 to fix them. They scheduled the repair and sprinkler turn on for April, but they keep sending different people out who claim they didn’t see notes about the repair and don’t have the equipment to fix it. Now saying they’re so busy that they can’t send anyone out until mid-June. Wife and I bought a couple sprinklers from Ace and are moving them around manually, but the grass is struggling. Going out of town for a week in early June; and it won’t survive

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
A neighbor inadvertently killed all his grass a few years back. He ended up removing and replacing the top 4” or so of his topsoil and reseeded. It was 2 years before he got it established and it still looks off…

As others have suggested, I would call the manufacturer and raise 3 kinds of hell.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
A neighbor inadvertently killed all his grass a few years back. He ended up removing and replacing the top 4” or so of his topsoil and reseeded. It was 2 years before he got it established and it still looks off…

As others have suggested, I would call the manufacturer and raise 3 kinds of hell.

I have become a huge fan of hydroseeding. When I bought my house the area behind my retaining wall was dirt, rocks, weeds, and pinecones.

Screenshot_20230527-045442_copy_432x637~2.png

Based on recommendations from a local landscape supply company I brought in a few yards of topsoil and spread out a thin area and hydroseeded it in October. It sat under a blanket of snow from December until April... By June I had a beautiful lawn.... By July I was pissed off that I had to get my damn push mower up that hill and mow every 5-6 days and wished I had just left it alone.**

Screenshot_20230527-045905_copy_809x483.png

Awwhellnaw

Jun 29, 2017

Unfortunately it was my front yard. Gets full sun through most of the day. Ending mid afternoon. Central MS.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Need advice turf guys. In an effort to kill the crabgrass in my centipede, I used Image All-In-One. The product claimed to be safe on pretty well any lawn grass outside of St. Augustine. Applied it at the recommended dosage and two days later, I knew I had effed up. Killed everything but the crabgrass seems to be doing fine! Went back and read the reviews and apparently I’m not the only one who had this result.

So, what can I do from here? I really don’t want to resod. What prep work needs to be done if I want to try reseedI
I killed mine two years ago (bermuda). After it turned completely brown I aerated it and kept it fertilized. Didn't help a whole lot that year. I just had to suffer through the neighbors asking about it but the next year it came back and looked better than it ever did.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Perfect.

Start your front yard veggie garden immediately. You've solved the weed problem.

Cut any remaining patches of pesky lawn and use it to mulch your vegetables.
He's not trying to quit his job and become a doomsdayer