OT: Lebanese/Syrian Cusine

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
Was wondering if there are any connoisseurs of Middle East Dishes... I am a huge fan of grapevine leaves and baked kibbeh (My aunt from Allentown always made the BEST!)! This weekend I tried something different which was tabouli and shawarma (almost looks like a pasty for those of you who are Welsh). They were amazing! Are there any dishes that I did not mention any of you have tried and would like to share? Thanks...

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
shawarma and tabouli are pretty 101 type staples of Lebanese food. Not saying that as a negative, just to inform my suggestions. So if they’re things you already know, good deal.

We have a place in Raleigh called Neomonde. Best shawarma I’ve ever had, and that’s having been in Iraq. Also, if you like Syrian/Lebanese food, try Egyptian and afghani food. Afghan rice is my favorite

Kabuli Pulao (afghan rice. Basmati rice, raisin, carrot and lamb/chicken)
Mjadarah (rice and lentils)
Maklouba (chicken rice carrots cauliflower)
Baba Ghanouj (eggplant dip)
Hummus (chickpea dip)
Moussakka (eggplant stew)
Falafel
Kibbeh (Lebanese meatball)
Kofta kebab (meat kebab)

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Was wondering if there are any connoisseurs of Middle East Dishes... I am a huge fan of grapevine leaves and baked kibbeh (My aunt from Allentown always made the BEST!)! This weekend I tried something different which was tabouli and shawarma (almost looks like a pasty for those of you who are Welsh). They were amazing! Are there any dishes that I did not mention any of you have tried and would like to share? Thanks...
I like Middle East food.
Dolmos are one of my favorites.
We have a Middle Eastern Restaurant in the Harbor East section of Bmore that I like a lot. Their hummus is awsome as are their Kabobs.
But my favorite is their Chicken Farrouj.
The Almaza beer is also very good.
There is also an Afghan Restaurant in Mt. Vernon called The Helmand thats very good.

Reactions: BrucePa

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I like Middle East food.
Dolmos are one of my favorites.
We have a Middle Eastern Restaurant in the Harbor East section of Bmore that I like a lot. Their hummus is awsome as are their Kabobs.
But my favorite is their Chicken Farrouj.
The Almaza beer is also very good.
There is also an Afghan Restaurant in Mt. Vernon called The Helmand thats very good.
Chicken Farouj is great.

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
This is the food I grew up on. My grandparents emigrated from Syria and ended up in Wilkes-Barre, with extended family in Allentown. Wherever there's an Antiochan Orthodox Church, you'll find good Middle Eastern cuisine.

Now I'm in the Washington DC area, and we have an abundance of choices. The new-ish Zenola in Vienna VA is uplifted Lebanese cuisine from an accomplished chef. Me Jana in Arlington is the best of the classic Lebanese cuisine. In downtown DC, there is Ilili, Maydan, and Albi. Maydan has an open fire tasting menu and has a Michelin star, and Albi earned a Michelin star last year as well.

My death row final meal request is kibbeh nayyeh, which is the raw version of kibbeh. Bourdain considered it the most exquisite of all the raw meat dishes -- tartare, carpaccio, kitfo -- and I would request it as my final meal on this planet, with a glass of "tiger milk" Arak.

Last edited:

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
One of our local churches at their festival does Manakish (a flatbread with toppings) both a cheese and a zaatar version. It’s fantastic and I look forward to getting it every year.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
This is the food I grew up on. My grandparents emigrated from Syria and ended up in Wilkes-Barre, with extended family in Allentown. Wherever there's an Antiochan Orthodox Church, you'll find good Middle Eastern cuisine.

Now I'm in the Washington DC area, and we have an abundance of choices. The new-ish Zenola in Vienna VA is uplifted Lebanese cuisine from an accomplished chef. Me Jana in Arlington is the best of the classic Lebanese cuisine. In downtown DC, there is Ilili, Maydan, and Albi. Maydan has an open fire tasting menu and has a Michelin star, and Albi earned a Michelin star last year as well.

My death row final meal request is kibbeh nayyeh, which is the raw version of kibbeh. Bourdain considered it the most exquisite of all the raw meat dishes -- tartare, carpaccio, kitfo -- and I would request it as my final meal on this planet, with a glass of "tiger milk" Arak.
What exactly is your plan to land on death row?

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
What exactly is your plan to land on death row?
I'll probably cash in my chips at such point where Penn State dominates a team like Michigan or Ohio State from the opening whistle to the end of the 4th quarter, without the defense being ripped to shreds late in the game by middlin' QBs.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Let’s hear it for the middle eastern sweets!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Did you ever get to Thelo's Greek in Great Falls??? Worth it. Everything made from scratch and outstanding selection of Greek wines.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
For those of you who have not yet had the opportunity to enjoy the lovely ladies with Middle Eastern heritage, may I direct your attention to Salma Hayek, Gigi and Bella Hadid, Joanna Gaines, Shakira, and on and on....

Maybe the prettiest women in the world if you dig olive colored complexions and darker hair....

Nabilla Benattia (French/Algerian)

psuedonym

Oct 18, 2021

My mom's parents were Syrian/Lebanese. Grew up with (and love) most of the dishes above. I would add three more. Stuffed Eggplant (Sheikh El Mahshi) which is roasted eggplant stuffed with kibbeh stuffing and tomato sauce, Lebanese Rice which is rice with vermicelli pasta browned in butter and cooked with chicken stock, and Lebanese Green Bean Stew (Loubia b'zeit)

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021

My mom's parents were Syrian/Lebanese. Grew up with (and love) most of the dishes above. I would add three more. Stuffed Eggplant (Sheikh El Mahshi) which is roasted eggplant stuffed with kibbeh stuffing and tomato sauce, Lebanese Rice which is rice with vermicelli pasta browned in butter and cooked with chicken stock, and Lebanese Green Bean Stew (Loubia b'zeit)

Love these dishes too. We share a common heritage.

That stuffing ("mahshi") can be used in zucchini, grape leaves, cabbage leaves, and anything else that can be stuffed and stewed. Add ground lamb and pine nutsto the loubi b'zeit and you'll have a complete feast.

Reactions: psuedonym

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
There is a small chain of restaurants called the Pita Chip which opened in the Philly area after starting as a food truck on the Temple campus which does an excellent job. It’s known for fellafel (made from fried chick peas) but has lamb, beef, and chicken schwarma dishes where you pick your protein, toppings, and sauces. It makes for a tasty lunch from time to time. I’m a sucker for a good fellafel in pita from time to time and even had it in the Jewish quarter in Paris, Le Marais, when I visited there. It’s an interesting place to go on Sundays when many other restaurants in Paris are closed and it’s teaming with fellafel takeout places where you order at the windows of the restaurants and eat as you window shop through the bustling vibrant neighborhood.
1669935579283.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnighter

Stephen Light

Nov 22, 2021
My grandmother was Lebanese. Many of these dishes are similar across the eastern Mediterranean, but god help you if you get it wrong! 😂 Having a Greek heritage in my family sets up many possible intramural matches!

The first thing I would say is that it is hard to find the exact pita bread that my grandmother would accept. The only bakery I buy from is a local supply shipped from Montreal, so good luck! It is flatter and thinner than most you can find. She called it “Syrian” bread, which would have made sense since at the time she emigrated, Lebanon was part of Syria.

In any case, the iconic dishes are stuffed grape leaves - Warak Enab-(with pine nuts if you can find them!), Hummus (chickpea based), Kibbeh (bulger wheat+lamb), tahini (sesame spread), Taboulleh (salad, again bulgur wheat, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, mint, etc.), Falafel, lebneh cheese (creamy mild cheese used as a spread) Baklawah (simple syrup, rose water walnuts, layered pastry). The Baklava most are familiar with is the Greek, which uses honey instead of the simple syrup) Baba Ghanoush is an puréed eggplant dish.

As you can see, these are the kind of dishes you would use as a selection for browsing and combining through a meal. Lots of salads with toasted Pita Breads.

Enjoy!

Reactions: LionJim

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
There is a small chain of restaurants called the Pita Chip which opened in the Philly area after starting as a food truck on the Temple campus which does an excellent job. It’s known for fellafel (made from fried chick peas) but has lamb, beef, and chicken schwarma dishes where you pick your protein, toppings, and sauces. It makes for a tasty lunch from time to time. I’m a sucker for a good fellafel in pita from time to time and even had it in the Jewish quarter in Paris, Le Marais, when I visited there. It’s an interesting place to go on Sundays when many other restaurants in Paris are closed and it’s teaming with fellafel takeout places where you order at the windows of the restaurants and eat as you window shop through the bustling vibrant neighborhood.
View attachment 271947

The Marais also home to the best crepes in Paris at Breizh Cafe (they also have 'Little Breizh' in St. Germain).

Reactions: BobPSU92 and Nitwit

troutrus

Oct 7, 2021
my favorite deli meat.

Attachments

• E9DF8D4C-9FA9-43AD-B174-AADDE2C76211.jpeg
    E9DF8D4C-9FA9-43AD-B174-AADDE2C76211.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 2

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
shawarma and tabouli are pretty 101 type staples of Lebanese food. Not saying that as a negative, just to inform my suggestions. So if they’re things you already know, good deal.

We have a place in Raleigh called Neomonde. Best shawarma I’ve ever had, and that’s having been in Iraq. Also, if you like Syrian/Lebanese food, try Egyptian and afghani food. Afghan rice is my favorite

Kabuli Pulao (afghan rice. Basmati rice, raisin, carrot and lamb/chicken)
Mjadarah (rice and lentils)
Maklouba (chicken rice carrots cauliflower)
Baba Ghanouj (eggplant dip)
Hummus (chickpea dip)
Moussakka (eggplant stew)
Falafel
Kibbeh (Lebanese meatball)
Kofta kebab (meat kebab)
Baba Ghaouj is not to my taste. It has a taste/smell combo I don't like. Almost like a burnt taste/smell.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Lebanese Taverna on Connecticut in DC. Had many glorious meals there.
Wow, that takes me way back. Love that walk over the bridge before/after going there. I actually ate at the one in East Falls Church “next” to Lost Dog more times.

My go-to for sweets was Samadi Sweets that used to be in Bailey’s Crossroads.

Also used to frequent Pita House in Old Town Alexandria back when it was on Cameron Street, IIRC. Great deal back then.

Last edited:

republion

Oct 29, 2021
God bless… as I was quickly scanning the topics, I thought this was a thread about Lesbian Cruises. I’ve never wanted to go on a cruise before and thought maybe this discussion might change my mind.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Wow, that takes me way back. Love that walk over the bridge before/after going there. I actually ate at the one in East Falls Church “next” to Lost Dog more times.

My go-to for sweets was Samadi Sweets that used to be in Bailey’s Crossroads.

Also used to frequent Pita House in Old Town Alexandria back when it was on Cameron Street, IIRC. Great deal back then.
Bread and Chocolate in Alexandria was one of my faves.

Latest posts