OT Long weekend getaway ideas????

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
Looking for a long weekend kid free getaway idea for two adults. Would be a Thur-Sun. Must be a location with a direct Delta flight from Atlanta and must be a place where we can walk everywhere from our lodging. Thought of Key West but never been.

So, any info on Key West or any other location suggestions. Thanks!!!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We love Key West but you need to know exactly what KW is. Key West is closer to New Orleans with sunshine and flip flops than it is to your normal Florida beach destination.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
We love Key West but you need to know exactly what KW is. Key West is closer to New Orleans with sunshine and flip flops than it is to your normal Florida beach destination.
What exactly is KW? I like the idea of New Orleans with sunshine and flip flops.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Looking for a long weekend kid free getaway idea for two adults. Would be a Thur-Sun. Must be a location with a direct Delta flight from Atlanta and must be a place where we can walk everywhere from our lodging. Thought of Key West but never been.

You know there are direct flights from Atlanta to Jackson. Most beautiful, walkable town you will ever visit. No idea why these idiots complain about it so much on this board. I think it's fantastic.
Jackson-Hole--WY.jpg

summer-downtown.jpg
town-jackson-hole-wyoming.jpg
9225352816_5ca88dcd77_k.jpg
Seriously. If you have never done a summer getaway in Jackson, it's bucket list.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Savannah 2 nights and Charleston 2 nights.
Too much to do, see and eat to put here now.

Amelia Island, FL at the Omni Resort
You get some good golf in too and she can do the Spa
Great pool
Drive into JAX one day and out to Ponte Vedra

Kingsmill Resort in VA -
Golf, tennis plus visit old Williamsburg

Outer Banks, NC
Charter a boat out of Oregon Inlet for a half day of fishing (tuna and dolphin)
Play golf at Nags Head Links, visit Bodie Lighthouse, Kill Devil Hills. - Wright Bros Museum

Spend a night in Greenville SC downtown and then 2 nights in Asheville NC

All are close and won’t break the bank.

OR

Fly into Kennedy IA and drive out or take the train out to Sag Harbor, LI for 4 nights.
This one will.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

I'm going on a staycation in my back yard. Good food, good drinks, open fire pit, and convenient toilets. Pretty dang cheap too!

Reactions: Dawgg

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Key West is a good idea. You’ll want a VRBO with a pool though. There’s not much “beach” area there. Spend the afternoons by the pool, and the evenings bar crawling on Duvall.

Charleston? Chicago? Vegas? San Diego? Palm Springs? Sedona?

I hear good things about The Highlands, NC. Could save you some $ on plane tickets.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
What exactly is KW? I like the idea of New Orleans with sunshine and flip flops.
Key West isn’t a beach town. If you want to lay on the beach in the sun it’s not the place to go. If you like to eat, drink , and people watch it’s great. IT’s eclectic, very laid back. If you go, go to El Siboney for the skirt steak.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
You know there are direct flights from Atlanta to Jackson. Most beautiful, walkable town you will ever visit. No idea why these idiots complain about it so much on this board. I think it's fantastic.
Seriously. If you have never done a summer getaway in Jackson, it's bucket list.
Absolutely our favorite place on Earth. Not only is Jackson a neat town, it is the jumping off place for some of the best wilderness places anywhere. We try to go at least once a year and occasionally twice. Some of the best hunting and trout fishing on the planet. For the true outdoorsman that first trip into the NW Wyoming back country will touch your soul and you will be forever changed. Also, only 70 miles to Yellowstone. Summers are way too crowded in the Park, but if you wait and go in September the animals are really moving, the elk are bugling, and the fishing is at its best. Cody is another great Wyoming town. The Buffalo Bill museum is located there. Home to over 7,000 guns plus numerous other exhibits. I have been there 3 times and haven’t come close to seeing everything. Trail Town is a really neat attraction with lots of old west history and exhibits. Jeremiah Johnson is buried there and I was honored to pay my respects at his grave site. The Irma Hotel built by Buffalo Bill and named for his Daughter is a true old west hotel. Lots of famous western frontiersmen have stayed there. It’s pretty cool. You can go North from Cody and then take the Beartooth Highway on to Yellowstone. Magnificent views along the way. The photos here and others you may have seen don’t come close to capturing the beauty that is all around you. Makes me wish I was there now. The kids and grandkids are going in July and we will most likely go in September again and then head for Utah and catch some National Parks that we have not checked off the list yet.

chefdawg

Aug 23, 2012

Would suggest Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah, Asheville, or Greenville. If you end up at one of those, shoot me an email- happy to put you on the best see/do and by far the best eats [email protected]

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Key West isn’t a beach town. If you want to lay on the beach in the sun it’s not the place to go. If you like to eat, drink , and people watch it’s great. IT’s eclectic, very laid back. If you go, go to El Siboney for the skirt steak.
It’s not a beach town but the beach on Roosevelt is solid. Don’t want to go there for a “beach vacation”, but if you want some beach time it’s plenty good enough.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013

Bermuda

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Reno/Tahoe, NV its got your natural beauty and man's vices. Nice trip for a short stay and I think Delta flies direct for about $350 each for roundtrip in September. May consider a rental for the short drive to Lake Tahoe. Walking around Reno's resorts is easy kinda like downtown Vegas.

Reactions: GomJabbar

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Chicago. Just did this 2 weekends ago & couldn’t recommend more. Plenty to do both activities wise and dining. Was one of the cleanest, well-kept cities I’ve ever been to.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Chicago. Just did this 2 weekends ago & couldn’t recommend more. Plenty to do both activities wise and dining. Was one of the cleanest, well-kept cities I’ve ever been to.
Going to a Cubs game would be fun. And I'm not a big baseball fan.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Going to a Cubs game would be fun. And I'm not a big baseball fan.
I’m a baseball fan but definitely not a cubs fan and Wrigley may be my favorite place to watch a game. Great stadium, people are usually very friendly and the neighborhood around Wrigley is awesome.

Chicago is a great summer city to visit. Probably my favorite larger American city.

Olegreyboy

Oct 13, 2022
We were in Key West last week. Ate at El Siboney twice. Would not have known about it if not for the owner of the b and b recommending it. Enjoyed it.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

So, any info on Key West or any other location suggestions.
Midland, TX. You'll never miss your home again.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Drive to Mobile and take a cruise. You can find great deals on short notice.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003

Northwest Arkansas. Devils Den State Park is a gem, as is the rest of the Ozarks forest. Lot to do in the Fayetteville area as well.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Reno/Tahoe, NV its got your natural beauty and man's vices. Nice trip for a short stay and I think Delta flies direct for about $350 each for roundtrip in September. May consider a rental for the short drive to Lake Tahoe. Walking around Reno's resorts is easy kinda like downtown Vegas.
Skip Tahoe for a while. I have some new friends that moved here from Tahoe and they say that place is more crowded than Disneyland since COVID. After this winter it's going to be even worse as so many structures suffered roof collapses and water damage from the historic snows.

Fodor's named it one of the top 10 places in the world not to visit in 2023. Extremely overcrowded these days during summer months and ski weekends. You cannot get in anywhere to eat or navigate traffic.

All the mountain west tourist spots are having growing pains but Tahoe is by far having the hardest time and handling it the worst.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Skip Tahoe for a while. I have some new friends that moved here from Tahoe and they say that place is more crowded than Disneyland since COVID. After this winter it's going to be even worse as so many structures suffered roof collapses and water damage from the historic snows.

Fodor's named it one of the top 10 places in the world not to visit in 2023. Extremely overcrowded these days during summer months and ski weekends. You cannot get in anywhere to eat or navigate traffic.

All the mountain west tourist spots are having growing pains but Tahoe is by far having the hardest time and handling it the worst.
Good update, we have been there a number of times but the last was pre-COVID in 2019 and it wasn't busy at all in October. Shame because it is a beauty.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Good update, we have been there a number of times but the last was pre-COVID in 2019 and it wasn't busy at all in October. Shame because it is a beauty.
Shoulder season would still be fine I imagine. So After Labor Day - Thanksgiving would still be doable. Our town drains like a claw foot tub after Labor Day weekend.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
When I heard mention NOLA with flip flops I thought of Savannah but DAS's suggestion is much better. Two great "walking" towns with great food that are short distances apart.

If you end up in Savannah, I highly recommend Alligator Soul.

Seconded Alligator Soul. I had the antelope and the candied alligator and it was one of the best 17ing meals I’ve ever had.

houstonutsack

Sep 23, 2012
Kw is bourbon street w/o the srip clubs. Uber to the one beach.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Chicago in the Summer is undefeated.
Except when it’s 100* and humid as hell.
Did a tour of Wrigley the day before a day game we went to and two of hottest days that summer.
Lake Michigan beach/sand was about 120* but the lake water felt like it was 33*