OT - McConnell

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I know more than a few octogenarians who are sharp as can be. It’s not about age
Yes, it is about age. We all have our own anecdotal evidence about people we know. But the bottom line is, science has demonstrated soundly that cognitive decline hits around 70 and progresses for most people. Cognitive decline doesn’t mean you’re unable to function, but there are scarcely few octogenarians who are cognitively as functional as they were in their 30s 40s or 50s. Again, if it makes sense to have a minimum age because of cognitive development, the same logic should follow for cognitive decline.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I'm sorry, but this sentence just made me laugh. I've seen double negatives used, but this could be the first triple.
LOL. Well, English was not my strong suit. Economics was. The only non-A or B I made in college and graduate school was my freshman English class. I would refer to that English professor as a "b_ _ ch". But, I know I deserved the "C", and maybe worse.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
She is going to leave this world just like me, without a damn penny

I remember a Billy Graham sermon where he mentioned being at JD Rockefeller's funeral and overhearing two ladies talking and one asks, "I wonder how much he left behind" and Graham said he whispered to them "everything".

Reactions: Ruffledfeathers

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I remember a Billy Graham sermon where he mentioned being at JD Rockefeller's funeral and overhearing two ladies talking and one asks, "I wonder how much he left behind" and Graham said he whispered to them "everything".
Yes, there are people who live on this Earth thinking they are better than this, that or other people, looking down and even hating those people. But as a preacher said at a funeral I attended two years ago preached: "When we die, we all are going to be equal".

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Yes, it is about age. We all have our own anecdotal evidence about people we know. But the bottom line is, science has demonstrated soundly that cognitive decline hits around 70 and progresses for most people. Cognitive decline doesn’t mean you’re unable to function, but there are scarcely few octogenarians who are cognitively as functional as they were in their 30s 40s or 50s. Again, if it makes sense to have a minimum age because of cognitive development, the same logic should follow for cognitive decline.
I agree. As I said above, 70 should be mandatory retirement age for ALL occupations.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I agree. As I said above, 70 should be mandatory retirement age for ALL occupations.

I know of many companies like Boeing, Northrup Gruman, and many software technology firms who found out they can't survive without the 65+ age group employees and have called them back from retirement to save their butts from knowledge evacuation due to mandatory retirement. Thinking they could replace old experience and wisdom with youthful intelligence didn't work out so well for them.
Mind you, this doesn't apply to mentally challenged, money grabbing politicians who are easily replaced.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I know of many companies like Boeing, Northrup Gruman, and many software technology firms who found out they can't survive without the 65+ age group employees and have called them back from retirement to save their butts from knowledge evacuation due to mandatory retirement. Thinking they could replace old experience and wisdom with youthful intelligence didn't work out so well for them.
Mind you, this doesn't apply to mentally challenged, money grabbing politicians who are easily replaced.
The examples you give are simply piss-poor planning by the companies. Bringing back retired personnel on a temporary, part-time basis for consultation purposes is one thing. Bringing them back for day-to-day work 40+ hours per week, is entirely different.

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
We have term limits...the voters. People are just too stubborn to vote for other people.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
The examples you give are simply piss-poor planning by the companies. Bringing back retired personnel on a temporary, part-time basis for consultation purposes is one thing. Bringing them back for day-to-day work 40+ hours per week, is entirely different.
Poor planning or not - it's happening. And many have now raised their mandatory retirement age or eliminated it all together. Several specific cases I know of thought promoting through the ranks would work but are finding the replacements are not as dedicated, reliable or have the problem-solving skills needed and don't really want to do what it takes to learn.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
We have term limits...the voters. People are just too stubborn to vote for other people.

While I agree, there's a small voice in the back of my head asking what type of choice do you really have?

The party decides who runs, who gets the support (money), who is smeared. Meaning, I wonder if the choice is more of an illusion than people think.

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
While I agree, there's a small voice in the back of my head asking what type of choice do you really have?

The party decides who runs, who gets the support (money), who is smeared. Meaning, I wonder if the choice is more of an illusion than people think.
Therein lies the real issue. I'm apolitical because I genuinely am disgusted by the majority of what I see from the major parties and their candidates.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I'm reminded when Mark Sanford was elected to the house. He campaigned on supporting term limits. Then he gets to Washington and the weasel changes his mind saying that's not how the system works and you have to develop seniority. I wish he was the only one who would go back on his word but we are talking politicians. My hope of electing enough honest politicians that will make it happen are slim and none.

Reactions: Bwellgolf

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022

Incumbency is such a powerful thing.
Primary level is where change is made and if the party is against them, you should probably be supporting them.
Or at the very least taking a close look.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I'm reminded when Mark Sanford was elected to the house. He campaigned on supporting term limits. Then he gets to Washington and the weasel changes his mind saying that's not how the system works and you have to develop seniority. I wish he was the only one who would go back on his word but we are talking politicians. My hope of electing enough honest politicians that will make it happen are slim and none.
Nikki Haley is exactly the same type of politician.

Reactions: Blues man

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Poor planning or not - it's happening. And many have now raised their mandatory retirement age or eliminated it all together. Several specific cases I know of thought promoting through the ranks would work but are finding the replacements are not as dedicated, reliable or have the problem-solving skills needed and don't really want to do what it takes to learn.
Those old-timers can't beat death. They will be gone for good sooner or later and will be replaced by a younger group. That is unavoidable. Those companies better start improving their hiring practices because 70+ year-olds simply do not have the stamina nor the productivity capacity that they had 40-50 years ago. Yes, there are exceptions. but not generally. So, yes, I believe there should be a mandatory retirement age for ALL occupations. I just hope I don't hold stock in companies that are doing piss-poor planning and hiring.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Forcing productive older employees to retire at a certain age doesn't make sense, as they may be your best employees. Obviously, death is a show-stopper but we have no control, unlike mandatory retirement policies.

Reactions: HillsToSea

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
It was an honest oversight on the part of our founding fathers. They could not possibly have conceived of people who would make a career out of politics, turning into a life-long money grab. They all served truly out of duty but wanted no part in making it a life-long endeavor. It was understood by them, that people would serve a term and then return to their normal life.
I couldn't agree more and have said so for years. Our Founding Fathers were thoughtful to the point of genius, but they could not have envisioned open-ended incumbency anymore than they could have envisioned the atom bomb. None of our self-styled geniuses of today will look all-knowing in 300 years, either. I would say they will look much less so than the great Americans of 1787 and following.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan
Mar 24, 2022
Finally canceled the Newsless Courier in Charleston. What a waste in all areas, delivery, content, customer service.

I couldn't agree more and have said so for years. Our Founding Fathers were thoughtful to the point of genius, but they could not have envisioned open-ended incumbency anymore than they could have envisioned the atom bomb. None of our self-styled geniuses of today will look all-knowing in 300 years, either. I would say they will look much less so than the great Americans of 1787 and following.
I guess when life expectancy is 45 or 50 or whatever it was in 1776 I don’t think senility or dementia was ever an issue

Reactions: USCrbCOCK

HillsToSea

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Jan 25, 2022
Really was a unique and rare collection of intelligence

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I guess when life expectancy is 45 or 50 or whatever it was in 1776 I don’t think senility or dementia was ever an issue
A lot of things could take a person out. But a lot of things hadn't come along yet that have taken many people out since. Franklin (84 at his death), Jefferson (85), Madison (85), John Adams (90) - these men were both high functioning AND durable.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
A lot of things could take a person out. But a lot of things hadn't come along yet that have taken many people out since. Franklin (84 at his death), Jefferson (85), Madison (85), John Adams (90) - these men were both high functioning AND durable.
There you go, old men can be functional and productive.

Reactions: KingWard

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I'm a Republican, and he needs to resign immediately or be kicked out of Congress. He's obviously not well. This country can't have people making such important decisions with obvious mental issues.

Him, Joe, and Feinstein should be removed from office.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
To some degree. There's a minimum age for reason. You have to be 25 to be a Representative. Does that mean that nowhere in America is there a 24 year old who is mature enough to serve? No. There might be. But we understand that cognitive development is not fully complete until the mid-to-late 20s in most cases. So you just set a minimum age.
We also recognize that hindsight is 20-20 - but you have to be old enough to have actually gained some hindsight. I doubt the founding fathers understood the science of cognitive development, but they probably intuitively understood the difference between intelligence and wisdom. Attaining the age of 35 doesn't guarantee that somebody has wisdom, but they have at least had the opportunity to gain some.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We also recognize that hindsight is 20-20 - but you have to be old enough to have actually gained some hindsight. I doubt the founding fathers understood the science of cognitive development, but they probably intuitively understood the difference between intelligence and wisdom. Attaining the age of 35 doesn't guarantee that somebody has wisdom, but they have at least had the opportunity to gain some.

Yeah. They surely did not understand the science as that was unknown, but they were all smarter than anyone around today. They were geniuses. They were schooled in the fine arts, languages, science, mathematics. Even though they did not know the science behind cognitive decline, I believe they realized there was some sort of essential development that took place through the 20s.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

I guess I would say it's up to individual companies to decide, based on the nature of the work.

But there's a reason commercial airlines cannot employ pilots past the age of 65. Air traffic controllers is 60. Many of the Fortune 1500 companies have a mandatory retirement age for CEOs of 65. Many states have mandatory retirement for judges at 70. Doesn't matter if you're still highly cognitively functioning. They realize a need for flat cutoff.

These are professions where you need clear, quick decision-making ability. For the vast majority of people, your brain simply does not operate as well at 75 as it did at 55, even if you're still an active and fully functioning normal individual.

Reactions: gamecock stock

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
The problem is not the age. The problem is we've become a nation of partisan hacks that are incapable of putting nation above party. Biden could be a vegetable and people would vote for him over Trump b/c they're a dem. Or vice versa.

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
He and Feinstein are way past their expiration date but we South Carolina folks had old Strom and he was worse then these two. Strom was so out of it he had to have an aide stand beside him to tell him what to do. We got 2 possible candidates for President who ought to be put out to pasture.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
He and Feinstein are way past their expiration date but we South Carolina folks had old Strom and he was worse then these two. Strom was so out of it he had to have an aide stand beside him to tell him what to do. We got 2 possible candidates for President who ought to be put out to pasture.

Yeah, Strom went way past his expiration date. He served 48 years. So far McConnell is at 38, I think, so he has a way to go to catch up to that. There are few a few others currently in office who are at 40 or 41 years, so that's getting into Strom territory.

Anderson Gamecock

Joined Aug 4, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I’m a republican and I think it’s time for a changing of the guard. Also need an age maximum in my opinion. Certainly Mitch should step down.
I am also a Republican and these "frozen" moments are really sad. He really needs to go home and get help. I clearly recall when Sen. Thurmond had no clue where he was the last 10-15 years of his life.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I am also a Republican and these "frozen" moments are really sad. He really needs to go home and get help. I clearly recall when Sen. Thurmond had no clue where he was the last 10-15 years of his life.

I have a mixed reaction. When I first saw the video, I felt bad for him. But these people, like him and Feinstein, are addicted to power. They are there of their own accord.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I have a mixed reaction. When I first saw the video, I felt bad for him. But these people, like him and Feinstein, are addicted to power. They are there of their own accord.

As my wife always says, why isn't Pelosi at home baking cookies with her grandkids and living what's left of her life?

Reactions: 18IsTheMan