OT: NBA hasn't had an American-born MVP in 7 years

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Since Hardin won in 2018. I mostly lost interest in the NBA a long time ago, for a variety of reasons, mostly just changes to the game and style of play. For a uniquely American sport, though, it's unfortunate that we don't have many great American personalities in the game like there used to be. I guess the influx of foreign players is fine and is obviously the result of the NBA's efforts to grow the game overseas. It has worked very well for them financially. There just aren't any/many compelling American personalities in the game. At least not like there used to be with guys like Johnson, Bird, Jordan, Barkley, Thomas, Ewing, Miller and so on.

Last edited:

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Since Hardin won in 2018. I mostly lost interest in the NBA a long time ago, for a variety of reasons, mostly just changes to the game and style of play. For a uniquely American sport, though, it's unfortunate that we don't have many great American personalities in the game like there used to be. I guess the influx of foreign players is fine and is obviously the result of the NBA's efforts to grow the game overseas. It has worked very well for them financially. There just aren't any/many compelling American personalities in the game. At least not like there used to be with guys like Johnson, Bird, Jordan, Barkley, Thomas, Ewing, Miller and so on.
I'd bet Anthony Edwards changes that stat soon. He's going to be a big star.

It's unfortunate Zion Williamson can't stay healthy. He's another guy who could have been MVP-caliber.

Reactions: adcoop

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'd bet Anthony Edwards changes that stat soon. He's going to be a big star.

It's unfortunate Zion Williamson can't stay healthy. He's another guy who could have been MVP-caliber.

Yeah, really disappointed about Zion. He had the makeup to be a great personality in the game. He's so dominant when healthy. Even though the Knicks missed out on drafting him, I was eager to see him play, but I kind of lost interest due to his injury status. He's still on the young side, so hopefully he can get it worked out.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
It's misleading. You have about 4 or 5 top players that are European or African. You have Luka and the others are big men (Giannis, Embiid, Jokic). Embiid has even attained U.S. Citizenship and will be playing for us in the Olympics. So, the overall outlook is not that different. You still have about 3/4 of the 24 All-Star level players that are American. I have never been one to allow shifts in gameplay to bother me so I follow it closely and have for the past 50 years. The league is just transitioning from the Lebron/Steph/KD era to a new generation of stars. 3 of the 4 teams left in this years playoffs are led by up and coming American stars. Jayson Tatum (Celtics) has been trying to break through for the last 3-4 years. Can he finally do it this year. Anthony Edwards is probably the most exciting 2 Guard since Kobe retired and his team just eliminated the MVP Jokic and the Denver Nuggets. The Pacers are led by a young up and coming PG in Tyrese Haliburton. Of those foreign born stars only Luka is left in the playoffs. Of course, the American players will have to fight with these overseas stars in the future, but that is what the NBA is now. That 92 Dream Team did its job in sparking interest in basketball all over the world. It is not just "Our" game anymore. However, when you look at the All-NBA teams this year, 10 of the 15 members of this year's All-NBA teams are American players.

Last edited:

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
I haven't watched an NBA game in the last 5 years. Used to be a fan, just realized I don't miss it.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It's misleading. You have about 4 or 5 top players that are European or African. You have Luka and the others are big men (Giannis, Embiid, Jokic). Embiid has even attained U.S. Citizenship and will be playing for us in the Olympics. So, the overall outlook is not that different. You still have about 3/4 of the 24 All-Star level players that are American. I have never been one to allow shifts in gameplay to bother me so I follow it closely and have for the past 50 years. The league is just transitioning from the Lebron/Steph/KD era to a new generation of stars. 3 of the 4 teams left in this years playoffs are led by up and coming American stars. Jayson Tatum (Celtics) has been trying to break through for the last 3-4 years. Can he finally do it this year. Anthony Edwards is probably the most exciting 2 Guard since Kobe retired and his team just eliminated the MVP Jokic and the Denver Nuggets. The Pacers are led by a young up and coming PG in Tyrese Haliburton. Of those foreign born stars only Luka is left in the playoffs. Of course, the American players will have to fight with these overseas stars in the future, but that is what the NBA is now. That 92 Dream Team did its job in sparking interest in basketball all over the world. It is not just "Our" game anymore. However, when you look at the All-NBA teams this year, 10 of the 15 members of this year's All-NBA teams are American players.
I don’t believe anything was misleading. I didn’t speak to the overall makeup of the game. Only to the recent MVP winners. Also noted the lack of great personalities in the game, which is undeniable when compared to the last. Didn’t say there are no good players. Just lacking the personalities.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I don’t believe anything was misleading. I didn’t speak to the overall makeup of the game. Only to the recent MVP winners. Also noted the lack of great personalities in the game, which is undeniable when compared to the last. Didn’t say there are no good players. Just lacking the personalities.
Uh…. I don’t think they award the MVP based on personality. It’s not a Miss Congeniality award.

Also I find it disingenuous of you to say there are no personalities in the sport when you up front say you don’t even follow the sport. How would you know?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Uh…. I don’t think they award the MVP based on personality. It’s not a Miss Congeniality award.

Also I find it disingenuous of you to say there are no personalities in the sport when you up front say you don’t even follow the sport. How would you know?
I never said the MVP was based on personality. They were 2 separate points.

I said I have mostly lost interest in the NBA but that does not mean I am not aware of what goes on in the NBA and who the major players are. I have the capacity to be aware of many things of which I don’t have a particular interest in.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I wasn't saying you were being misleading. I was just saying an overall narrative that's out there, that you didn't create, regarding overseas players taking over the league is misleading. I, also, would disagree with you about the personalites are not there. Lebron is probably the biggest NBA story ever. Not saying he is better than Michael Jordan. However, a player that has been an All-NBA level player since 19 and still is one at 39. All those names you mention, except Jordan, pales in comparison to James. Some of those others may be favorites of yours. However, to think the All-Time scoring leader in the history of the game is not a great personality is being a little biased. I know some of this board are sour toward Lebron over the protests in the bubble, but he is Top 3 All-Time easy if you are objective. Further, Steph is still playing. Still an All-NBA level player. He is the greatest player 6-3 or under IMO. Only player close is Isaiah Thomas. What I have seen over the course of the NBA's history was that the 80's and 90's was a time when the NBA was building. The players were more approachable and there were fewer games on TV. So, the myth of the 80's and 90's players was bigger. You didn't see that Wednesday night game in Charlotte where a Magic Johnson or Larry Bird stunk it up. Now, everybody sees everything, the players are picked apart more, and as a result the players are more distant from the fanbase. They almost have to be that way to keep their sanity. If you are following what's going on with Aliyah Boston on social media right now, that is only a fraction of what a star NBA player goes through on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Latest posts