OT: Reggie Bush to have Heisman returned

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Makes sense. What he did was peanuts compared to what players are allowed to do today.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
I am torn on this one. On one hand, I think he deserves it back and should not have had it taken away in the first place, but he, his family and Southern Cal did willingly break NCAA rules even if kids are getting paid legally today. Today's rules should have no bearing on rule breakers of the past.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I am torn on this one. On one hand, I think he deserves it back and should not have had it taken away in the first place, but he, his family and Southern Cal did willingly break NCAA rules even if kids are getting paid legally today. Today's rules should have no bearing on rule breakers of the past.

I kind of agree. He broke the rules at the time. But with how far off the rails everything has gone, it seems silly.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Seems to me he never should have lost it. But once it was taken away, it definitely shouldn't be given back. The rules haven't changed for 2005 players.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Agreed. I have no problem undoing an injustice of the past but I can't see how it was an injustice. Not a fan of applying today's standards to what was yesterday's standards.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Never was a fan of the way the NCAA punished players, who had no money, for taking money from people connected to schools or agents. It's like giving a Crackhead 20 Years in Prison while allowing the Traffickers to go on unpunished in most cases to continue on with a system that anyone with sense knew was corrupt. I could see suspending a player a game or two based on their cooperation in getting high level rule breakers. However, taking Bush's Heisman Trophy that he earned on the field never made sense to me. We all saw it. Taking back a Gold-Plated Trophy is not going to erase the memory of Reggie Bush being the best player in College Football in 2005.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Like DrMickey said, if it helps create more and better content for Heisman House, Im all for it :)

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I agree with the reporter for the LA Times,

"
Reggie Bush is not a victim. The fact that he has regained a piece of hardware produced by his amazing football skills doesn’t change the fact that — based on rules of a different era — the NCAA determined he broke those rules.

After the NCAA ruled he brazenly disregarded its now-antiquated rules, its committee on infractions sent USC into a dark hole from which it has never emerged.

Bush's alleged acceptance of rent-free housing for his parents and $300,000 from two sports agents led to NCAA sanctions that ran the football program into the ground.

In the 14 years since the Bush investigation essentially burned down Heritage Hall, the Trojans have never regained national prominence. They have yet to play for a national title. They have one major bowl win. They have gone through six coaches. They have endured controversy and scandal and general chaos.

By losing 30 scholarships and being placed on two years' probation, they fell behind the rest of the college football world and have never been able to catch up.

Meanwhile, Bush scurried away from the smoking wreckage with an 11-year, $63-million pro career and a since-ended national television gig.

He’s never apologized for anything. He’s never accepted responsibility for his role in the probation. He has seemingly never once thought of all the overmatched young Trojans who were beaten down for the last decade because the program had been stripped of its foundation."

He hurt Southern Cal knowing he was breaking the rules...I don't know how much love is being shown by the Alumni and LA community.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Makes sense. What he did was peanuts compared to what players are allowed to do today.
Makes no sense. The rules that existed at the time were well known to everyone, rules which, he, his family, and Southern Cal boosters knowingly but exceedingly broke.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
There's nothing to be torn about.

mickray

May 20, 2023
Sports are stupid now and there is no sportsmanship. My grandfather would be irritated.