OT: RIP Dabney Coleman

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
He was a very good character actor. (Emmy nominated several times and won once). I remember first seeing him in "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman". Then "9 to 5" made him a household name. And he was spot on in "Tootsie" I enjoyed watching him in his short-lived TV series "Buffalo Bill". He made a career playing sexist cads and jerks. He said he enjoyed playing those parts. He said they were fun and gave him a chance to do things that he and many would like to do in real life. But in real life, he was considered a good and generous guy. The one line he delivered in a movie probably defines his career. In "You've Got Mail", Tom Hanks callously dumped his girl friend, walking out on her in order to go after Meg Ryan. Coleman played Tom Hank's father. Coleman's character was single, having cheated on Hank's mother many years earlier with 2 of Hank's nannies. Coleman asks Hanks, "Who did you break up with?" Hanks replied: "Patricia. You met her". Then Coleman delivered the line that encapsulated all the characters he played over the years: He asked his son (Hanks): "Would I like her?".

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
I remember him playing Mr. Drysdale in the Beverly Hillbillies movie, and then later playing the President of the United States in My date with the President's daughter. Saw a bunch of things he was in during the 90s.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Man, I saw him in an older serious crime drama where he played a detective, part of the lead characters detective group, but the film is not credited in his filmography. Like a Dirty Harry type movie.