OT: RIP Dickey Betts

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
If you ever have a chance to be near Macon, I highly recommend going to the Allman Brothers Museum, The Big House. Also visit Rose Hill Cemetary where their gravesite is.
They used to hang out and jam in that graveyard.
Then stop by at the H&H Resteraunt, another Allman hangout. Capricorn Studios is now part of Mercer University in Macon. Macon is quite the cool town, IMO. Also home to Little Richard & Otis Redding.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
MaconNitt and myself headed to State College June 5 to catch Allman-Betts Band @ State Theater. I’m sure there will be tribute songs.

Reactions: PSUJam

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
I live about 2 miles or less from his home (on the northern border of Osprey, FL). His home is on Sarasota Bay whereas I am slightly inland and to the north. Our kayak club got too close to his home apparently a couple years ago on a trip and a big, burly security guard came out to greet them at the end of his boat dock, warning them to stay away in no uncertain terms. They had no idea whose home it was until I clued them in, but then again nobody on the trip knew who the ABB was or knew their music (I was not on that particular trip).

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024
Wow, only one original member left, I believe, Jaimoe. Great guitarist on some classic songs. Wonder if he will be laid to rest in the Rose Hill Cemetary in Macon, Ga next to his compadres, Duane and Gregg Allman, Berry Oakley, and Butch Trucks.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/dickey-betts-dead/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ugh&utm_term=UCR New Smart List

not sure about the shared cemetery plot. There was a lot of animosity between Betts and the rest of the band after they fired him by sending him a fax. he sued them, they sued him etc etc etc.

Reactions: ODShowtime

Blue Tooth

Sep 21, 2021
Reactions: A2nit and rudedude

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Damn, I was literally just watching a live performance of Midnight Rider this morning and was thinking that he is probably getting toward the end.

A huge influence on my guitar playing, as well as many others.
do you play slide?

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Dickey Betts is an American songwriter, guitarist, singer and composer. Dickey Betts' net worth is estimated to be $40 million. He made most of his wealth working from with 'The Allman Brothers Band'. He is also a founding member of the band.

Reactions: RochLion

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
MaconNitt and myself headed to State College June 5 to catch Allman-Betts Band @ State Theater. I’m sure there will be tribute songs.
Saw the family revival show in Sarasota towards the end of the year. It was fantastic and the big surprise was Dickey coming onstage to receive his 80th birthday cake and celebration. I imagine given how he struggled that it was likely his last public appearance.

You will have a great time, the Allman Betts Band is very accomplished.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
not sure about the shared cemetery plot. There was a lot of animosity between Betts and the rest of the band after they fired him by sending him a fax. he sued them, they sued him etc etc etc.
Dickey and Gregg did talk before Gregg’s passing. It was a shame that Dickey did not appear at least one of the final shows at the Beacon even though there were conversations and some thought up until show time the last night that he might appear.

I saw a lot of their lineups (unfortunately not the original with Duane) and I never left a show not shaking my head at what I had just seen. The annual dust up at the Beacon was an annual right of spring passage.

Reactions: rudedude

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
If you are a fan or want to just get a good peak inside the band, I’d recommend reading Brothers and Sisters which chronicles the band for a period of years in the 70’s. Focused on the album of the same name and the band’s impact in getting Jimmy Carter elected President. If you like the Dead, it also goes into the relationship between the band members and Watkins Glenn.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Saw the family revival show in Sarasota towards the end of the year. It was fantastic and the big surprise was Dickey coming onstage to receive his 80th birthday cake and celebration. I imagine given how he struggled that it was likely his last public appearance.

You will have a great time, the Allman Betts Band is very accomplished.
Wanted to see that show really bad since I live in Sarasota, but couldn’t find where to buy the tickets. Had to see Joe Bonamassa at the Van Wezel and will be seeing George Thorogood at the same venue in about a week. But missing the Allman Betts band when they played was very disappointing.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Wanted to see that show really bad since I live in Sarasota, but couldn’t find where to buy the tickets. Had to see Joe Bonamassa at the Van Wezel and will be seeing George Thorogood at the same venue in about a week. But missing the Allman Betts band when they played was very disappointing.
They had a huge lineup of guests that night. Tal Wilkenfeld played on the tour with them which was tremendous. Was one of the better shows I’ve seen over the last couple of years.

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
No one gets out alive, but getting news of Dickey Betts death was really saddening. I wore out the Eat a Peach, Brothers and Sisters, Idlewild South, and Live at Fillmore East albums. Saw them in concert a bunch of times. Blue Sky is incomparably great. RIP, Dickey.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

Mar 25, 2024
Wow, only one original member left, I believe, Jaimoe. Great guitarist on some classic songs. Wonder if he will be laid to rest in the Rose Hill Cemetary in Macon, Ga next to his compadres, Duane and Gregg Allman, Berry Oakley, and Butch Trucks.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/dickey-betts-dead/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ugh&utm_term=UCR New Smart List

and given the "lifestyle" decisions that Dickey made, that he made it to 80 is really quite impressive. To be kicked out ABB for partying to much is a level that few could ever hope to achieve. Gotta give him props on that. Plus was just an amazing guitar player. I knew somebody who lived near him in Florida and said could hear him playing/ practicing all the time. So even with his substance use proclivities he did honor his talent and craft and always work to improve........

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
and given the "lifestyle" decisions that Dickey made, that he made it to 80 is really quite impressive. To be kicked out ABB for partying to much is a level that few could ever hope to achieve. Gotta give him props on that. Plus was just an amazing guitar player. I knew somebody who lived near him in Florida and said could hear him playing/ practicing all the time. So even with his substance use proclivities he did honor his talent and craft and always work to improve........
What will be said about Keith Richard’s when his time passes?

Latest posts