OT Rule

autocarry

Senior
Sep 26, 2005
7,891
513
60
Atlanta blowing the lead probably didn't deserve another chance. But it sucks that a team doesn't get a chance to touch the ball based on a coin toss!
 

coalcountry52

Senior
Oct 26, 2004
52,015
609
0
Pro sports make the dumbest rules and they sadly trickle down to the collegiate level in many ways. Thankfully, collegiate overtimes still make sense. I have a hard time caring about a professional sport that allows plays to continue after a player is on the ground untouched, which makes zero sense at every other level.
 

COOL MAN

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2001
34,715
128
63
I admit I've never heard the explanation why the NFL has this specific rule (probably because I listen only to the tiniest fraction of the NFL talk I used to).

I realize the receiving team has to go the length of the field to score as opposed to starting from the 25 in college. But I still don't know the League's basic rationale as to why the opponent isn't entitled to the same offensive opportunity simply because their defense couldn't make the stop (or because the receivers won the coin toss).

Oh, and I am aware the rule doesn't apply to the receivers kicking a FG.
 
WV Sports

Latest

  1. 01 WV Sports Basketball Ross Hodge wants to play chess, not checkers in roster building
  2. 02 WV Sports Game details for West Virginia hosting Arizona announced
  3. 03 WV Sports Basketball Recruiting 2029 point guard Amoi Dut talks West Virginia offer
  4. 04 WV Sports Football First look: What Iowa State has done through four games
  5. 05 WV Sports Football Cummings and Goings: The 3-2-1