OT: Scary bridge crossings.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
The original Skyway was brought down by a ship running into it. Portions of the old, original bridge are now fishing piers.
I used the old bridge and new, plus the fishing pier remains of the old bridge. The north side gets all the fishermen, but the south side has yielded far more fish for me.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
The sunshine skyway over tampa bay gets pretty scary too, plus it really did fall down and kill people once.

sunshine skyway bridge

When we drove from Clearwater to Venice last spring, my son made us drive a solid 25 minutes further to avoid crossing that fella.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Hard to believe I have been over most of the mentioned bridges, including the Dingmans years ago, the one in LA 2 summers ago in our RV and Mackinac to the UP in our RV this past summer. I’ll add another that is no longer - the old 7 Mile bridge in the keys when it was a single, narrow 2 lane structure. Crossed it a few times in the early and mid 1970s, but apparently it has been replaced.

Reactions: s1uggo72

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
When we drove from Clearwater to Venice last spring, my son made us drive a solid 25 minutes further to avoid crossing that fella.
To me, this Is about the least scary of all the ones mentioned here, but maybe that’s because I drive it fairly often.

DTownlion57

Nov 1, 2021
scary in an unusual way is the Washington Crossing bridge. It spans PA - NJ, over the Delaware River, from Washington Crossing, PA to Washington Crossing, NJ.

The bridge was built in 1905, and its road deck is only 15 feet wide, meaning that lanes in each direction are only 7.5 feet wide. In addition, while the access road on the PA side is straight onto the bridge, on the NJ side it's nearly a 90° turn from the access road to the bridge. The 90° isn't too bad when going from PA into NJ, but when going from NJ to PA, you pretty much can't turn onto the bridge unless there is a break in the cars coming from PA.

Due to the narrowest of the road decks, even on bright sunny days, it's pretty rare to go the entire length of the bridge (@ 877 feet) without encountering a car coming in the opposite direction that stops due to concerns that they're going to side-swipe a car driving in the opposite direction. As such, backups frequently occur on the bridge due to cars stopping as the driver loses their nerve.

I believe the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, which owns the bridge, issued Request for Proposals earlier this year for a consulting team, to start the environment review process, for the purpose of eventually designing and constructing a replacement bridge.

undefined
I drive over the WCB 2-3 times a week. My wife hates it and always stays too close to the guardrails and forgets to pull her mirrors in. BTW never had a bridge phobia until early 1980's. Driving an empty company van to a conference in Newport RI. I crossed the Jamestown Island bridge in windy conditions and all I remember is white knuckles and white caps. They have since replaced the bridge but it was so narrow.
Unfortunately my phobia has remained and I drive many miles out of the way to avoid Very High bridges. I thought I was going to have a heart attack crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in bad weather. BTW had a friend drive over the Sunshine bridge in Tampa in October. I made up an excuse to let him drive. I also told him on the way over a Japanese ship captain hit this bridge twice in fog. It is a beautiful view from DeSoto State Park.

Reactions: LionJim

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021

I remember when my buddy came down to visit once, turns out he loves bridges and made me drive it an extra 2x. It can be quite a rush when you go over the peak and start going down.

Reactions: wbcbus

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
To me, this Is about the least scary of all the ones mentioned here, but maybe that’s because I drive it fairly often.

Familiarity certainly changes things. I had quite a few people who got nervous riding with me up the road along the side of Mt. Washington and under the inclines on the way up to my apartment in Pittsburgh. I was completely desensitized to it.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
1709408385988.jpeg
Not so scary for me necessarily, but my mother would always bow her head and cover her eyes every time my father drove us over this, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Coincidently enough, my father actually worked on its construction (is that what you say for a bridge? I was going to say erection but though that might be cause for inappropriate responses, and I wouldn’t want that).

Last edited:

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
View attachment 535695
Not so scary for me necessarily, but my mother would always bow her head and cover her eyes every time my father drove us over this, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Coincidently enough, my father actually worked on its construction (is that what you say for a bridge? I was going to say erection but though that might be cause for inappropriate responses, and I wouldn’t want that).
That baby looks WAY higher when you’re on it than it does in this picture! I looked it up… the measurement is in between those extremes … 228 feet.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
View attachment 535695
Your dad’s erection is at 59 years and counting.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
The bridge from San Diego to Coronado always freaks me out. They have the suicide hotline posted all along the bridge.

Great view coming back into SD though.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Oh, I just remembered. One time my wife and I took our kids, about 11 and 10 at the time, on a bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. I mentioned this to my younger daughter not too long ago and got back the coldest stare I’ve ever received from her, or from anyone else for that matter.

Mrdibbs

Oct 12, 2021
Long time ago, my family would go to visit my uncle at the VA hospital in Pittsburgh. Our route took us across the old 62nd Street Bridge over the Allegheny River.

The bridge had timber planks as the driving surface and they would bounce as the vehicles drove over them.

We named the structure "The Piano Bridge" because the planks looked like piano keys.

I never liked that trip.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Long time ago, my family would go to visit my uncle at the VA hospital in Pittsburgh. Our route took us across the old 62nd Street Bridge over the Allegheny River.

The bridge had timber planks as the driving surface and they would bounce as the vehicles drove over them.

We named the structure "The Piano Bridge" because the planks looked like piano keys.

I never liked that trip.
This reminded me of Knoxville’s Gay Street Bridge.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
I visited my daughter in LSD (Lower Slower Delaware) and the winds were howling when I crossed the Bay Bridge at around 1530 yesterday, on the way home. I’ve made the trip a thousand times but never was it more challenging than yesterday, the van was buffeting. I’m a strong guy, but I had to hold onto the wheel for dear life. The pouring rain didn’t help my state of mind.

Apparently being too afraid to drive over the bridge is a thing. I know ten or so people who have told me as much. Maryland used to have a system where someone would drive you and your car over, for a fee; I think that’s gone now. Anyway, boy, it was enough of an experience for me to start a thread about it.
I'd do anything to avoid that bridge.

• Sad

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
You would be a little concerned if you knew how close the large Navy ships get to the top of the tunnel.
My recollection from my one time steaming through Thimble Shoals channel on the Enterprise as a shipyard worker was only 10-12 feet.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I visited my daughter in LSD (Lower Slower Delaware) and the winds were howling when I crossed the Bay Bridge at around 1530 yesterday, on the way home. I’ve made the trip a thousand times but never was it more challenging than yesterday, the van was buffeting. I’m a strong guy, but I had to hold onto the wheel for dear life. The pouring rain didn’t help my state of mind.

Apparently being too afraid to drive over the bridge is a thing. I know ten or so people who have told me as much. Maryland used to have a system where someone would drive you and your car over, for a fee; I think that’s gone now. Anyway, boy, it was enough of an experience for me to start a thread about it.
I hate all bridges, it's something thats happened as I've gotten older. Oddly enough the Bay Bridge doesn't bother me but then I don't go over it in bad weather. I absolutely hate the Key Bridge and will avoid it all costs. There is another, I think outside of Chesapeake City that I don't like. Golden Gate Bridge didn't bother me. The Rio Grande Bridge in NM scared the crap out of me but I walked across it. I even went into the little bump out to get a pic of the Gorge. It didn't last long though because a tractor trailer went over it and the entire thing shook. I was out of there post haste. LOL. But I got the pic.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Crossing the Ludendorff Bridge, March 1945 wasn't a picnic, or so I've read. There might even be a movie about it.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
For those of you feeling a bit timid doing a bridge crossing by vehicle, you are IN LUCK. The New River Gorge Bridge offers a bridge walk across the 3,000 ft. long structure, after completing the bridge walk, your fear of engineering failures should diminish.

BUT...
Hey guys, we all goof up sometimes, but when it comes to engineering, you’ve gotta be on your A-game to best dodge those errors & mistakes.
"Sometimes, people get a little too cocky. Picture baking the same cake a thousand times. By the 1001st attempt, you’d probably skip measuring every ingredient, right? Well, some engineers fall into that trap too. They might think they’ve got a natural knack for their work, but others might see it as just plain lazy. Either way, it’s a risky move that goes against engineering ethics."

In the early 70's, As young engineer in the Bridge Division of Michael Baker Jr., I was fortunate enough to be included in a team of about 8 other engineers and half dozen draftsmen completing the design documents for the New River Gorge Bridge located in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrdibbs

SW-Lion

Nov 1, 2021
When I was kid, the St. George’s bridge in Delaware used to scare the crap out of me.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I’ve mentioned that my grandfather was a civil engineer in DC and until today I thought his biggest project was the Islamic Mosque on Massachusetts Avenue at the Rock Creek Parkway. Today I found out (via my genealogy-obsessed first cousin) that he was chief engineer during the construction of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Also found out today that he first met my grandmother at the 1927 Army-Navy game, at the Polo Grounds. Cool. I had known that he played on the last Catholic University football team to beat Maryland, 1915. I like sharing that last little tidbit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ODShowtime