OT: Stromboli

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t know about you, but I just recently learned that Stromboli (the food) is not an Italian import.

Cool article that identifies the original and shares some history.

Personally, I like the rolled pinwheel style with ham, capicola, pepperoni, and provolone with a side of sauce.

They are hard to find in Arizona.

Where’s your favorite?

gianluca1

Dec 9, 2021
Don't care who invented it but the best gd stromboli ever at PSU was Vesuvio's. Even better getting delivered late night after getting hammered at bars or party. Place was so great I took the future Mrs. gianluca1 there on our first date.

Last edited:

UncleRoyBiggins

Oct 12, 2021
Anybody here remember Phil's Pizza in Pleasant Gap? (A Few miles from State College) Phil had the biggest, if not the BEST stromboli. A medium stromboli took 2 pizza boxes, and you couldn't get it through the front door sideways. You could feed a family for a week with that thing.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t know about you, but I just recently learned that Stromboli (the food) is not an Italian import.

Personally, I like the rolled pinwheel style with ham, capicola, pepperoni, and provolone with a side of sauce.

Where’s your favorite?

It's not 'capicola'. It's Gabbagool.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021

Where’s your favorite?

As I understand, the "rolled pinwheel style" (with deli meats) is actually a stromboli as opposed to a pizza that is folded in half, which is a calzone.

It seems that a lot of places mislabel their calzones as strombolis (I first noticed this in State College). Perhaps this is just a case of semantics, but I always though there was a distinction between the two.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
As I understand, the "rolled pinwheel style" (with deli meats) is actually a stromboli as opposed to a pizza that is folded in half, which is a calzone.

It seems that a lot of places mislabel their calzones as strombolis (I first noticed this in State College). Perhaps this is just a case of semantics, but I always though there was a distinction between the two.
Well said....for those mentioning DP Dough....calzone, not stromboli.

A "traditional" calzone would contain ricotta where a traditional stromboli would not.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
It's not 'capicola'. It's Gabbagool.
Says the “2nd generation "It Talian" from Nutley, New Jersey” as he calls out in the article 😜

I was the same until I read the article…

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I haven't had a good stromboli in ages. There's supposed to be some synergy going on inside but whenever I get one now a days it's just the sum of the parts, nothing special.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Says the “2nd generation "It Talian" from Nutley, New Jersey” as he calls out in the article 😜

I was the same until I read the article…
I meant more that the stromboli is rolled as opposed to a calzone, which starts as circular dough and folded over (like an empanada).
I feel like a lot of people call the latter a stromboli. I guess they can both have deli meats, but like PSU87 said, I think of a calzone as having riccotta instead of mozz.

In the end, their both delicious!

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
I meant more that the stromboli is rolled as opposed to a calzone, which starts as circular dough and folded over (like an empanada).
I feel like a lot of people call the latter a stromboli. I guess they can both have deli meats, but like PSU87 said, I think of a calzone as having riccotta instead of mozz.

I agree. I ALWAYS thought the Stromboli was rolled and the calzone was folded (and the calzone had ricotta). But this article says the original was not rolled, but folded.

I will definitely try this place next time I fly into PHL.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021

I entered this place in Herr’s new Flavored by Philly chips contest.

Last edited:
Reactions: BW Lion

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

Actually a calzone would have ricotta AND mozz.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

A "traditional" calzone would contain ricotta where a traditional stromboli would not.
I always thought the difference was Ricotta. There is still an Italian Oven in Somerset, PA and I have always liked theirs. I pretty much make my own now. I use the Wegman's pizza dough and just roll it out and make it a little thinner. I still think its the dough and temperature of the oven that makes the pizza but this is ok for eating in.

Last edited:
Reactions: BW Lion and PSU87

Whart

Oct 8, 2021
Best Stromboli that I ever had….was at Fred’s in Lock Haven. What made it unique was he ….deep fried….his strombolis ! He had several flavors…..Canadian Bacon…..Steak and Cheese….pizza….pepperoni etc. He would sell out just about every night. He eventually tried a place in State College and I lost track of him after that. They were delicious .

JoeLion

Oct 12, 2021
My mother made the best. Isn’t stromboli the name of a town in Sicily?

81BandW

Oct 27, 2021
Best Stromboli that I ever had….was at Fred’s in Lock Haven. What made it unique was he ….deep fried….his strombolis ! He had several flavors…..Canadian Bacon…..Steak and Cheese….pizza….pepperoni etc. He would sell out just about every night. He eventually tried a place in State College and I lost track of him after that. They were delicious .
Reminds me of Luigis that was in Lock Haven. Still the best I've had

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Best Stromboli that I ever had….was at Fred’s in Lock Haven. What made it unique was he ….deep fried….his strombolis ! He had several flavors…..Canadian Bacon…..Steak and Cheese….pizza….pepperoni etc.

stop

80wrestle

Nov 15, 2021
First and best I've had was late 70s early 80s in State College, near PlayLand, Cattle Car, and McClanahans.
Have tried lots, but none equal.
Some taste like folded pizza.
The Grotto-boli is decent, but has onions and peppers.

Reactions: ODShowtime

mfb5053

Oct 12, 2021
Definitely the best Stromboli! Still have restaurants in Hershey, Harrisburg, and Lancaster IIRC. You can always ship a boil from them anywhere (although it’s expensive to do it). ;)

Closed all except Lancaster.

Fond memories of summer road trips through Lancaster from Harrisburg to Rehoboth and stopping for YP strombolis and the Nike outlet.

Reactions: Daveb9127 and Psu00

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
First and best I've had was late 70s early 80s in State College, near PlayLand, Cattle Car, and McClanahans.
Have tried lots, but none equal.
Some taste like folded pizza.
The Grotto-boli is decent, but has onions and peppers.
Are you talking about Munchies?

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Closed all except Lancaster.

Fond memories of summer road trips through Lancaster from Harrisburg to Rehoboth and stopping for YP strombolis and the Nike outlet.
Here's a Your Place Stromboli recipe. Use a good Marinara to serve it with. I'm going to try one in my pizza oven.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021

Which is why Calzones >>>> Strombolis.

I personally feel the dough to ingredients ratio is too “doughy” with most strombolis

Last edited: