OT Tell me about your used pickup truck

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I sold my GTI and now we’re sharing one car (sucks more than I thought it would) so we’re hunting for a $15k pickup truck. Tell me about yours.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I sold my GTI and now we’re sharing one car (sucks more than I thought it would) so we’re hunting for a $15k pickup truck. Tell me about yours.
I bought a 2005 F150 Supercab XLT 5.4 brand new as a divorce present to myself and drove it until 2019 putting 253,000 miles on it, often towing my bass boat. The motor still ran but the timing chain wore a hole through the valve cover and it began spitting oil all over so I junked it. It was too big of a job for me to get into. I bought the same truck 2010 5.4 version in 2019 and now have 196,000 miles on it.

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I bought a 2005 F150 Supercab XLT 5.4 brand new as a divorce present to myself and drove it until 2019 putting 253,000 miles on it, often towing my bass boat. The motor still ran but the timing chain wore a hole through the valve cover and it began spitting oil all over so I junked it. It was too big of a job for me to get into. I bought the same truck 2010 5.4 version in 2019 and now have 196,000 miles on it.
Wanna sell it?

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I’ll tell you about my cheap old truck that I bought. I had a 2020 F250 XLT crew cab. We moved to a house with a narrow tree lined drive with a tight turning radius and no garage space big enough. I sold it in 2022 for what I bought it for and had a lot of equity in it. I bought an 1988 Land Cruiser FJ62 from a bring a trailer auction. Flew to Wisconsin and drove it home. I love it!

Anyway, I found that I still needed a truck for truck stuff and the driveway made a trailer a bad option, so I set out to but an older pickup truck for doing the truck stuff. After a week of searching I found a 92 F150 with 300 CI straight six and 5 speed manual transmission. It was blue, and in the same town that grew up in. It seemed too good to pass up. Checking it out, it was a little rough around the edges but ran and drove great. They were asking $5000 and the kid who was selling it, was doing so for his brother who recently joined the Air Force and was stationed out west. I didn’t feel right haggling on the price.

I drove it home after the sale/transfer and stopped at a pizza shop for dinner. I had nothing inside the truck, but still locked it out of habit. It turned out that this truck was made with separate door and ignition keys, and I never thought to ask about a door key. So I call AAA for a locksmith. Before the locksmith arrives, I see a young boy running ahead of an adult male. I ask the guy if the boy was his, and whether he wanted to make $20. In retrospect I might have worded it a little less suggestive. I wanted to have the kid climb in through the sliding rear window and open the door from the inside. The kid does and I drive home happy.

I'm driving the truck once a week or so and very happy, my wife isn’t impressed. A couple of months later (august) I’m taking my dog to do some training and the transmission seizes up about a half mile from home. I get it towed to a local mechanic and opt for an off the shelf rebuilt transmission with a one year warranty. My mechanic finds out that the brakes and power train are all from different model years, making it difficult to mate things up. I also wanted to fix some things on the interior. The scope kept creeping and the months passed by. Finally, after five months and $6300, I get my truck back. I certainly think I have more into it than it’s worth, so I’ll probably keep it for awhile.

dshellpsu

Nov 1, 2021
Love my 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Wanted a truck for fishing and the locked trunk in the back fit the bill perfectly, along with great under the backseat storage. AWD is a nice benefit also. Rides great due to its unibody construction. Getting about 19mpg around town and 25 on the road. Biggest issue with the Ridgeline is cost in my mind. But I love my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_133327074.jpg
    IMG_20210417_133327074.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
I’ll never have enough money to feel comfortable owning a truck 🫤. If I had stayed in Seattle or the PNW in general maybe I’d have sprung for a used Tacoma to serve as my fly fishing hauler - would have the inflatable pontoon to accommodate. Downside there is the rate at which meth heads break into vehicles.

Last edited:

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
And there are loads of them sitting on dealers lots.

Cars are interesting right now. Interest rates have pushed the per month costs up considerably. And many people don't care about the cost of the car but the monthly fee as they navigate paycheck to paycheck. For used cars, being in 2024, COVID cars are now coming off of leases. Soon, you'll have a lack of good used cars due to the supply chain problems, chip problems, the COVID lockdowns created.

So there is a hole in used cars right now if you are paying cash. And if you guy used lux cars, like I do, the timing is really good. You can get a nice 2020 BWM X5, Land Rover or BMW 7 series for less than half the purchase price.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Love my 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Wanted a truck for fishing and the locked trunk in the back fit the bill perfectly, along with great under the backseat storage. AWD is a nice benefit also. Rides great due to its unibody construction. Getting about 19mpg around town and 25 on the road. Biggest issue with the Ridgeline is cost in my mind. But I love my truck.
These are cool but I’m finding them over 15

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Where do you guys find cars to purchase? I use cars.com but I wanted to know some other good sites that you've used.

Academic Probation

Jun 10, 2023
Had 3 F-150s. A 76, 87 and currently an 03. All three ran ok/well mechanically but rusted away. I’m spending over 1k to repair rust on four corners of the bed and under the cab to keep the 03 inspected in PA. I only drive it about 2k per year. It’s my wheel barrow. Oh and everybody wants to borrow it!🤷‍♂️

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Just make sure it's properly equipped.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Inherited a 1991 Chevy 1500 longbed from a gone-way-too-soon brother-in-law about four years ago. Had about 95K miles on the small block 350 ci engine at the time. Year after we got it a tornado dropped three trees of 12-14" diameter on the bed. Insurance company totaled it out for around $3,500 - I bought it back for $150 and had the bed replaced. Other dents show its character.

Now has about 101.5K miles on it. Change the oil every 6-9 months. (Obviously it is not heavily used so time vs. mileage oil changes.) Had tranny serviced at around 100K miles. Need to replace the driver door "catch" - the thing that keeps the door from swinging wide open. Have the kit; need to either get busy with it now that nice weather is here or take to mechanic. Have replaced the passenger side mirror. Brother-in-law had it held in place with nails and glue - seriously. Radio is wonky but since I only use it for short hauls it's fine.

It's a single cab but love that it is a longbed that eats up the standard 4'x8' sheets of plywood. Can get a load of dirt/mulch/whatever without worrying I am damaging a high five figure vehicle.

I recently suggested to the wife we sell it and her Buick LaCrosse and buy a Ford Maverick. First time in 44 years of marriage I heard the "D" word from her - obviously the truck is sentimental for her, too. So, no, it is not for sale.

Fac

Oct 12, 2021
2003 Ford F150, traded it in in 2018 when it had 204k miles. It still ran fantastic, and the interior was in super nice condition. Traded it in because I was laid off after 29 years and found temp work 60 miles away. Wifey said that If breakdown in the commute she wasn't coming to get me. Bought a 2018 Ford F150, have 80k miles, had a tranny issue but was still under warranty. Hugh backseat room. Will look at fords when the next purchase comes around but will also look at GMC.

Fac

Oct 12, 2021
Which engine in the 2003?
Couldn't tell you, not interested in vehicles, all they do for me is take me from point A to point B.

The best part about having an older vehicle is you don't feel obligated to wash it often.

I told my neighbor (probably around 2012) a couple of doors down one evening as he was washing his new truck (he was always washing his truck), that I have a 2003 F-150 and I only wash my truck 3 times a year whether it needs it or not. He seemed to make a sound that was stifling a laugh.

Thorndike2021

Oct 12, 2021
I've had Nissan trucks now for about 40 years. Started out as Datsun, then Nissan Datsun, now just Nissan. My current Frontier has 148K on it, it is paid off, still runs great. Hoping to get 200K+ before I buy my next one.

Prices right now are beyond nuts. Read something the other day that new cars have gone over 80 days on lot before being sold, on average. That's a BIG deal. Auto makers base their costs, etc. on about 50-60 days on lot. If this trend continues look for prices to start to fall a bit. Rates have already come down.

I also read that the auto industry is currently experiencing the highest default rate on car loans in history.

Strange days indeed...

Reactions: ODShowtime

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I've had Nissan trucks now for about 40 years. Started out as Datsun, then Nissan Datsun, now just Nissan. My current Frontier has 148K on it, it is paid off, still runs great. Hoping to get 200K+ before I buy my next one.

Prices right now are beyond nuts. Read something the other day that new cars have gone over 80 days on lot before being sold, on average. That's a BIG deal. Auto makers base their costs, etc. on about 50-60 days on lot. If this trend continues look for prices to start to fall a bit. Rates have already come down.

I also read that the auto industry is currently experiencing the highest default rate on car loans in history.

Strange days indeed...
my post-retirement job is with an auction company and repos are through the roof right now

Last edited: