OT: TMB Movie Club - Use this thread for feature films in theaters or streaming....

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Or tuck this under the 'Eternals' thread started earlier.

I love a good Western and there are a couple that caught my attention; looking forward to seeing these on Netflix:

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
If you’ve plans to catch Passing on Netflix, the cop at the end is my first cousin Buzz Roddy (his dad and my mom were siblings). The movie itself is good enough for what it tries to do, wonderfully photographed in black-and-white.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Or tuck this under the 'Eternals' thread started earlier.

I love a good Western and there are a couple that caught my attention; looking forward to seeing these on Netflix:

I liked The Harder They Fall a lot. The actors were very good. I didn't know who Lakeith Stanfield was/is but thought he was very good. Jonathon Majors just continues to impress me with everything he's in. Regina King is a force. Delroy Lindo is criminally underrated and Idris as always was very good. The cinematography was excellent as was the music.
Just a lot of fun.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Catch Sparks Brothers on Prime if you are into quirky musicians who are not mainstream but have been around forever. Quite the career, plus their film, Annette, is on Apple TV, and man, it is a weird, outthere musical with Adam Driver.
I watched the documentary on Thin Lizzy main man, Phil Lynott, Songs for When I’m Away, a good look at his career and unique life in Ireland. That is on Netflix. Also watched Riders of Justice, Mads Mikkelsen and computer geeks taking on a biker gang, on Hulu and subtitled.

Last edited:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Catch Sparks Brothers on Prime if you are into quirky musicians who are not mainstream but have been around forever. Quite the career, plus their film, Annette, is on Apple TV, and man, it is a weird, outthere musical with Adam Driver.
I watched the documentary on Thin Lizzy main man, Phil Lynott, Songs for When I’m Away, a good look at his career and unique life in Ireland. That is on Netflix. Also watched Riders of Justice, Mads Mikkelsen and computer geeks taking on a biker gang, on Hulu and subtitled.

Thanks for that. I think I'll really like the Sparks Brothers. Looks terrific.
Riders of Justice looks very good.

Reactions: step.eng69

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I liked The Harder They Fall a lot. The actors were very good. I didn't know who Lakeith Stanfield was/is but thought he was very good. Jonathon Majors just continues to impress me with everything he's in. Regina King is a force. Delroy Lindo is criminally underrated and Idris as always was very good. The cinematography was excellent as was the music.
Just a lot of fun.

Stanfield is great in 'Atlanta' - surprised you haven't/aren't watching that (FX). Really, really good. Majors was on SNL this past weekend and you can tell he's from that Yale School of Drama/classically trained actor cloth - really solid. Watching him, and as Kang in Loki, I thought - this guy would kill it as Joker. Just has a menace about him that can be turned on and off very easily. Hoping to catch 'Harder They Fall' this weekend.

Reactions: rudedude and bbrown

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Wow, so many great recommendations! Holidays are a great time to catch up on stuff.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Trying to go see The French Dispatch this week. Heard it is hilarious.

We had tickets to see that at the Middleburg Film Festival in October, but circumstances prevented us from going. We did end up seeing 'Spencer' - the new Princess Diana film from the guy who made 'Jackie'; not a big fan - I'd be upset if I were any of Diana's relatives/offspring. They play her as paranoid and very difficult, which might be true, but doesn't make for a compelling movie despite Kristen Stewart's excellent performance.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
We had tickets to see that at the Middleburg Film Festival in October, but circumstances prevented us from going. We did end up seeing 'Spencer' - the new Princess Diana film from the guy who made 'Jackie'; not a big fan - I'd be upset if I were any of Diana's relatives/offspring. They play her as paranoid and very difficult, which might be true, but doesn't make for a compelling movie despite Kristen Stewart's excellent performance.
I want to catch Pig, with Nicholas Cage. Supposed to be a great character study.

Reactions: Midnighter

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Stanfield is great in 'Atlanta' - surprised you haven't/aren't watching that (FX). Really, really good. Majors was on SNL this past weekend and you can tell he's from that Yale School of Drama/classically trained actor cloth - really solid. Watching him, and as Kang in Loki, I thought - this guy would kill it as Joker. Just has a menace about him that can be turned on and off very easily. Hoping to catch 'Harder They Fall' this weekend.
I've seen parts of Atlanta but didn't realize that he was in it. 🤷‍♂️
I started really liking Majors during Lovecraft Country and thought he and Lindo, well everyone, involved in Da 5 Bloods was excellent. Then went back to see him in Last Man in San Francisco and was blown away with how good he is. Like you thought he was terrific as Kang.
He's really starting to blow up now.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Has anyone seen the latest James Bond movie , No Time to Die? What did you think of it?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I went to see "Belfast" yesterday at the movie theatre. It was the first time I had been to a theatre since Jan. or Feb. of 2020. That may be the longest stretch I've been away from watching the big screen in 30 or more years.

"Belfast" is an interesting take on the Troubles, which started in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in 1969. The film is shown primarily from the perspective of Buddy, a nine-year-old Protestant. He's quite smart, and happens to have a crush on the smartest girl in his class, who happens to be Catholic. Buddy is part of a family that includes an older brother, a mother and father, a grandfather and grandmother, and scores of cousins. At times, the movie switches to perspectives of the evolving Troubles by his mother, his father, one of his older female cousins, and his grandparents.

It's a feel-good movie, with lots of music by Van Morrison, and one nice scene involving Robert Knight's Everlasting Love.

The film works well when depicting the confusion that the kids have to what is taking place with the Troubles, and also with the anguish that Buddy's parents have over whether to leave the city that has been their home for most of their lives.

While the film tries to show aspects of the ugly part of the Troubles, if you're looking for a real documentary or docudrama of how horrible things were in 1969 in Belfast, you're likely to be disappointed.

Jude Hill does an amazing job as Buddy. Caitriona Balfe showed a lot of depth of emotions as his mother. Ciaran Hinds was very believable as his grandfather, and Judi Dench did a nice job as his grandmother.

As mentioned above, it's a feel-good movie. You'll walk out of the theatre feeling good (about an ugly series of events in Irish history), which is a plus. That said, it's not as though missing the film, or waiting until it were on TV, would be a big deal. I'd give it 3 stars out of 4, and that might be a tad generous.

Shep

Oct 29, 2021
Really enjoyed it! Hard to beat a pissed off Bond.
I thought it might be one of the best Bond movies ever made. It was scheduled to be released in 2020 but was delayed as the plot was deemed to be too related to events of the times (lets leave it at that to avoid a plot spoiler). If I had to find a fault with the film, there were a few scenes that went overboard with shooting, aka, John Wick like. But I thought it was a really good Bond. I will miss Daniel Craig in this role.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
We are currently watching BloodLands, a whodunit in N. Ireland that stars James Nesbitt as a detective who is actually Northern Irish as are several of the cast. He's sort of the N. Ireland George Clooney. Is he the good guy or the villain? Don't know yet.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
We are currently watching BloodLands, a whodunit in N. Ireland that stars James Nesbitt as a detective who is actually Northern Irish as are several of the cast. He's sort of the N. Ireland George Clooney. Is he the good guy or the villain? Don't know yet.

What channel/service?

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Went to this pre COVID!! It was awesome! No film longer than 20 minutes??? Coming to a town in Pa soon!!
Or come on down to huntington if you can’t wait!!!

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
I'm wondering what other folks here thought of Red Notice? It is currently ranked as the most watched show on Netflix and I like the actors (The Rock, Ryan Reynolds, and Gal Gadot), so I gave it a shot. I thought it sucked notwithstanding the cast. IMHO, it demonstrates why good writing is simply essential.

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
I will also have to admit that I take (mildly guilty) pleasure in watching movies that I anticipate will be not just bad, but really bad. A recent example is The Princess Switch 3: Romancing the Star. It is truly awful. Cringe inducing, even. Which makes it entertaining viewing, particularly if you can come up with some kind of drinking game to accompany it. Vanessa Hudgens is an attractive woman, but watching her attempt to speak with an English accent is guffaw inducing.

I am frequently on the lookout for the truly awful movies, and would appreciate any suggestions in that regard..

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I will also have to admit that I take (mildly guilty) pleasure in watching movies that I anticipate will be not just bad, but really bad. A recent example is The Princess Switch 3: Romancing the Star. It is truly awful. Cringe inducing, even. Which makes it entertaining viewing, particularly if you can come up with some kind of drinking game to accompany it. Vanessa Hudgens is an attractive women, but watching her attempt to speak with an English accent is guffaw inducing.

I am frequently on the lookout for the truly awful movies, and would appreciate any suggestions in that regard..

I DVR’d two Hallmark Christmas movies that have wine/wineries as a central theme. Cannot wait.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Where do you watch Bloodlands? My Comcast cable showed it on Acorn network but I don’t get that - I think. Thanks

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
Anybody watch Dune? Been a huge fan of the books. Curious what people's take on the film is, whether they've read the books or not.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Anybody watch Dune? Been a huge fan of the books. Curious what people's take on the film is, whether they've read the books or not.
Liked the books and even liked David Lynch's version. (it was gonzo but fun)
I thought this take was horrible. Its slow, plodding and just boring. If you come into this cold, not knowing the books or previous movie, you will be completely lost.
I can't remember at what point in the Dune Paul meets Chani but thats where this movie ends.
They green lit a part 2 but I wont bother with it.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Dune is a trilogy possibly. So far so good but we will see how it continues. Tech is better than original and they setup the prophesy better than 84 and what you would imagine in the book.

Reactions: ManxomeLion

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Liked the books and even liked David Lynch's version. (it was gonzo but fun)
I thought this take was horrible. Its slow, plodding and just boring. If you come into this cold, not knowing the books or previous movie, you will be completely lost.
I can't remember at what point in the Dune Paul meets Chani but thats where this movie ends.
They green lit a part 2 but I wont bother with it.
I haven’t read the books but this seems to be an interesting article.

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
Both are good , thought the Harkonans was more freaky and sadistic in 84, Duncan Idaho is a push, as is Paul and his father. Sand worms same.

Tech is better in the newer version, but the older one had a Star Wars vibe to it, meaning techie in space when it had to be and grunt like on Dune.

Sting and Sean Young were awesome in the original

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I want to catch Pig, with Nicholas Cage. Supposed to be a great character study.

Good time for a late 2021/early 2022 movie dump. I'll start with PIG (Hulu). Quite frankly the best movie I've seen in a few years and I can't believe I'm saying that. I didn't know anything about it but had been hearing great things about Cage and how nuanced and restrained his performance is (it is both of those things and also quite delicate). It's a quick film too - clocks in at right around and hour and a half. It's definitely a character study and deals with some big themes through his point of view (love, loss, grief, isolation) and his effort to get his stolen pet/companion pig back. It does have him racing through the backdrop of the Portland restaurant/foodie scene too which is fun for foodie types (myself included). I don't want to give too much away because I think the last act is tremendous, but highly recommend the movie and think Nic Cage is Oscar bound again this year. Just a lovely, moving performance and terrific film.

Next up is Power of the Dog (Netflix). Also highly recommend. It's written/directed by Jane Campion, so it's very pleasing to look at; the camera just marinates on the beauty of everything. For those who don't know, the plot revolves around two brothers (Benedict Cumberbatch and Jesse Plemons) who run a ranch in Montana. They're well to do and comfortable until George (Plemons) upsets everything by marrying a widower and having her (Kirsten Dunst) and her son (Kodi Smit-McPhee) move in. Phil (Cumberbatch) is especially upset with this move and makes life hard for George's new wife and son (who is quite effeminate). The first half of the movie sort of plods along with Phil finding new ways to torment his brother's new family, but things pick up in the second half and when the ending hits you'll likely want to watch again for everything you missed.

We also watched The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson and as much as I wanted to love this movie, which is told as a series of vignettes from articles in the twee-est newspaper imaginable, the sum is less than the parts. There are couple of pretty good vignettes though - the one about the convicted artist (Benicio del Toro) who finds an unlikely muse in the form of his beautiful captor (police officer played by stunning Frenchie and Bond girl Lea Seydoux - who leaves nothing to the imagination here....) - is my favorite. The others are funny and charming but often go on too long. Many of the Anderson hallmarks are present including Bill Murray, but even for Anderson the film is really self-indulgent and probably two vignettes too long. I think it's fine, but unless you're a massive Anderson fan, you might find this a bit tough to sit through (after the Seydoux vignette that is...which thankfully happens very early in the film).

Finally, in anticipation of the Oscars we watched Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut The Lost Daughter (Amazon Prime). It stars Olivia Colman as a college professor/writer who takes what she hopes will be a quiet 'working' vacation on a beach in a little Greek town, but she runs into a family on vacation (from the US, and likely involved in some 'organized' activity) and becomes friendly with the daughter, played by a shockingly stunning Dakota Johnson. Johnson has a small daughter and through them you start to learn about Colman's past and her difficulties and struggles with motherhood (which is not something you see very often in this format). It's sometimes very hard to watch (especially as a parent), but the performances are top notch and you really have no idea what will happen from one scene to the next. Great film and stand out performances by Johnson and Colman (dare I say the best living actor??). Highly recommend.

Still need to get to Dune, The Worst Person on Earth, Annette, C'mon C'mon, Belfast, and some others. I also saw the Princess Diana film Spencer but don't have the energy for a review at the moment - still parsing it....

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
great addition to the thread, @Midnighter, and I look forward to viewing those films. (I'm still not a fan of viewing them at home, but am slowly coming around to that.) That said, there are board rules, and this line appears to violate them:

played by a shockingly stunning Dakota Johnson

Barrage of Holding Penalties Affecting NFL Over/Unders Through Week 2 | The  Action Network

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
great addition to the thread, @Midnighter, and I look forward to viewing those films. (I'm still not a fan of viewing them at home, but am slowly coming around to that.) That said, there are board rules, and this line appears to violate them:

Barrage of Holding Penalties Affecting NFL Over/Unders Through Week 2 | The  Action Network

Yeah, I also had plans to put one up of Seydoux too…

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Good time for a late 2021/early 2022 movie dump. I'll start with PIG (Hulu). Quite frankly the best movie I've seen in a few years and I can't believe I'm saying that. I didn't know anything about it but had been hearing great things about Cage and how nuanced and restrained his performance is (it is both of those things and also quite delicate). It's a quick film too - clocks in at right around and hour and a half. It's definitely a character study and deals with some big themes through his point of view (love, loss, grief, isolation) and his effort to get his stolen pet/companion pig back. It does have him racing through the backdrop of the Portland restaurant/foodie scene too which is fun for foodie types (myself included). I don't want to give too much away because I think the last act is tremendous, but highly recommend the movie and think Nic Cage is Oscar bound again this year. Just a lovely, moving performance and terrific film.

Next up is Power of the Dog (Netflix). Also highly recommend. It's written/directed by Jane Campion, so it's very pleasing to look at; the camera just marinates on the beauty of everything. For those who don't know, the plot revolves around two brothers (Benedict Cumberbatch and Jesse Plemons) who run a ranch in Montana. They're well to do and comfortable until George (Plemons) upsets everything by marrying a widower and having her (Kirsten Dunst) and her son (Kodi Smit-McPhee) move in. Phil (Cumberbatch) is especially upset with this move and makes life hard for George's new wife and son (who is quite effeminate). The first half of the movie sort of plods along with Phil finding new ways to torment his brother's new family, but things pick up in the second half and when the ending hits you'll likely want to watch again for everything you missed.

We also watched The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson and as much as I wanted to love this movie, which is told as a series of vignettes from articles in the twee-est newspaper imaginable, the sum is less than the parts. There are couple of pretty good vignettes though - the one about the convicted artist (Benicio del Toro) who finds an unlikely muse in the form of his beautiful captor (police officer played by stunning Frenchie and Bond girl Lea Seydoux - who leaves nothing to the imagination here....) - is my favorite. The others are funny and charming but often go on too long. Many of the Anderson hallmarks are present including Bill Murray, but even for Anderson the film is really self-indulgent and probably two vignettes too long. I think it's fine, but unless you're a massive Anderson fan, you might find this a bit tough to sit through (after the Seydoux vignette that is...which thankfully happens very early in the film).

Finally, in anticipation of the Oscars we watched Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut The Lost Daughter (Amazon Prime). It stars Olivia Colman as a college professor/writer who takes what she hopes will be a quiet 'working' vacation on a beach in a little Greek town, but she runs into a family on vacation (from the US, and likely involved in some 'organized' activity) and becomes friendly with the daughter, played by a shockingly stunning Dakota Johnson. Johnson has a small daughter and through them you start to learn about Colman's past and her difficulties and struggles with motherhood (which is not something you see very often in this format). It's sometimes very hard to watch (especially as a parent), but the performances are top notch and you really have no idea what will happen from one scene to the next. Great film and stand out performances by Johnson and Colman (dare I say the best living actor??). Highly recommend.

Still need to get to Dune, The Worst Person on Earth, Annette, C'mon C'mon, Belfast, and some others. I also saw the Princess Diana film Spencer but don't have the energy for a review at the moment - still parsing it....
Pig was outstanding and I really enjoyed The French Dispatch. I felt the middle section about the revolutionary youth was a bit slow. Also saw Power of The Dog and thought it was well done. Annette is really out there and.before you see it watch The Sparks Brothers documentary to give you some context.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
The Tragedy of Macbeth is on AppleTV today starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. Filmed in black and white, looks fantastic and directed by Joel Coen. Getting great reviews. Will watch it tonight.