OT: Two state car titling question.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
A lives in NJ, B lives in Delaware. A wants to loan/give/sell B a car that would be titled and registered in Delaware. In addition, A wants the new Delaware title to include both A's and B's names. A would keep their NJ residency and driver's license. Is this even possible? This would bump up the insurance, most likely.

The secret of my success in graduate school was to never be afraid of asking what might be a stupid question.

Reactions: Sharkies

Sharkies

Nov 1, 2021
I guess, the real question is why would you want to have two people on the title? If you're on the title, you're now on the hook for any accident, etc... they could sue both of you...

That said, you can have both parties be on a title, even those who are out of state - registration is different than titling... for example, the title of my car is currently with my lender... who doesn't live in PA... does this make sense?

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I guess, the real question is why would you want to have two people on the title? If you're on the title, you're now on the hook for any accident, etc... they could sue both of you...

That said, you can have both parties be on a title, even those who are out of state - registration is different than titling... for example, the title of my car is currently with my lender... who doesn't live in PA... does this make sense?
That’s a good question. If u don’t want B to sell the car without A permission just put everything in B names and have A file a lien in it in Bs state. B tries to sell the car , he can’t without A releasing the Lien
Much cleaner

Reactions: Nitt1300

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
A lives in NJ, B lives in Delaware. A wants to loan/give/sell B a car that would be titled and registered in Delaware. In addition, A wants the new Delaware title to include both A's and B's names. A would keep their NJ residency and driver's license. Is this even possible? This would bump up the insurance, most likely.

The secret of my success in graduate school was to never be afraid of asking what might be a stupid question.
Freakin' MATH people will turn anything into a word problem. The only thing missing is the part about a train headed to Kansas City that gives seven of its nineteen cantaloupes to a train headed to Hackensack.

Last edited:

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
That’s a good question. If u don’t want B to sell the car without A permission just put everything in B names and have A file a lien in it in Bs state. B tries to sell the car , he can’t without A releasing the Lien
Much cleaner
good advice

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Freakin' MATH people will turn anything into a word problem. The only thing missing is the part about a train headed to Kansas City that give seven of its nineteen cantaloupes to a train headed to Hackensack. What will be the wind speed
Fixed.
Much cleaner
missed this until now. Thanks.

Reactions: s1uggo72

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Much cleaner
Missed this until now. Thanks.