OT: Umpire Clown Show Continues

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
If MLB and/or Wendelstedt issued a statement saying a mistake was made and Boone shouldn't have been ejected, that would end the matter. Instead MLB says nothing and Wendelstedt claims Boone was still to blame even though he didn't say anything. Nobody expects umpires to be perfect but not taking any responsibility for glaring mistakes is a bad look.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Hunter Wendelstat joins the ranks of Angel Hernandez in this first inning ridiculous ejection of Aaron Boone

What demon from hell posted this video? How old am I? I remember when Aaron Boone's dad was a rookie for the Phillies. I used his hitting stance playing whiffle ball in the backyard.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I would love to know what the fan yelled!
In the clip that I saw, it looks like the fan yelled "Let's go home plate!" He was siting in the first row, right behind where Boone was standing.

Last edited:

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
If MLB and/or Wendelstedt issued a statement saying a mistake was made and Boone shouldn't have been ejected, that would end the matter. Instead MLB says nothing and Wendelstedt claims Boone was still to blame even though he didn't say anything. Nobody expects umpires to be perfect but not taking any responsibility for glaring mistakes is a bad look.
True. Just man up and admit you screwed up. He let emotion cloud his judgement. Apologize and move on. The doubling down just makes it worse and starts to put him in Angel Hernandez discussions regarding competency.

Reactions: Bison13

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
True. Just man up and admit you screwed up. He let emotion cloud his judgement. Apologize and move on. The doubling down just makes it worse and starts to put him in Angel Hernandez discussions regarding competency.
I agree 100% but there’s an Umpire Code, so it’s not happening. The NBA fesses up their mistakes in a more or less straightforward manner.

Really, is there any reason at all to have MLB umpires in this day and age? Tennis too.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I agree 100% but there’s an Umpire Code, so it’s not happening. The NBA fesses up their mistakes in a more or less straightforward manner.

Really, is there any reason at all to have MLB umpires in this day and age? Tennis too.
Baseball is easy on the robot side with things like ball/strike, or potentially fair/foul. However, I don't know how you'd get robots calling balks, interference/obstruction, and even safe/out.

Tennis has really gone smoothly moving away from the lines people.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Baseball is easy on the robot side with things like ball/strike, or potentially fair/foul. However, I don't know how you'd get robots calling balks, interference/obstruction, and even safe/out.

Tennis has really gone smoothly moving away from the lines people.
I got sloppy. What I meant to say that you could have someone making the calls from a booth, you’d have multiple angles immediately, easy to make the correct calls. One, maybe two, umpires in a booth, I guess. Agree about the robots, not a thing.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I got sloppy. What I meant to say that you could have someone making the calls from a booth, you’d have multiple angles immediately, easy to make the correct calls. One, maybe two, umpires in a booth, I guess. Agree about the robots, not a thing.
Tennis works well with the one chair umpire calling time violations, calling if the ball hits twice, calling if something impacts a point to make it need to be played, etc...but then the automated system quickly calling the in/out that cover the majority of calls/disputes.

Reactions: LionJim

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

I will say. I have seen MLB umpires go up to pitchers, catchers, etc between innings and make amends for a missed call in the previous inning. It doesn’t happen as often as it should, but some of those guys do try to make it right.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I will say. I have seen MLB umpires go up to pitchers, catchers, etc between innings and make amends for a missed call in the previous inning. It doesn’t happen as often as it should, but some of those guys do try to make it right.
Thanks for taking the time. I hadn’t been aware.

Reactions: LB99

Achowalogan

Oct 12, 2021

As someone would say, “Good union jobs for Americans”…

Latest posts