Outdoor Track season is here

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Already some new records set. With the Olympics coming up, could be a great spring season.

Fort Worth Wyatt's longtime national record in the 4 x 100 boys relay was broken by Humble Atascocita and Duncanville, which both finished under the record mark of 39.76 seconds at the Victor Lopez Classic in Houston.

World men's 4x100 has interesting results at the Florida Relays last weekend. Noah Lyles, Christian Coleman, Kendall Williams, and Brandon Carnes represented USA Red. The handoff to Lyles at anchor was a failure and they DNF. The event was won by Gainesville Elite with Grant Holloway, Erriyon Knighton, PJ Austin, and Joseph Fahnbulleh with a 37.67. USA Blue finished 2nd and China in 3rd.

Current college top 5 rankings...
Men- TA&M, Florida, LSU, Texas, and Auburn. USC comes in at #10. Out of the current top 15, 10 are SEC. Speed!
Women- LSU, South Carolina, TA&M, BYU, Ole Miss. USC at #14. 8 of the top 15 are SEC.

It's early, those rankings will shift here and there.

Here is a list of multiple outdoor events coming up for those who might want to attend. Mt Sac Relays coming up April 17th. Hilmer Lodge Stadium is phenomenal.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Thanxs Veebs, da outdoors track season is here. Wow, very fast times. Most State track meets are in late May so these times will get faster. Jamaican kid, 16 yrs old 400 = 47.27 crazy. Texas HS relays winner 38.92 dam. Dat's like the 16th best college times of 2023. 2023 Calif State meet winner timed at 40.39, they would have eaten dust (5 yards back) vs these Texas HS relay teams. Man, there are very fast boys in Texas...

Shaka🤙da 2024 Paris Olympics in 4 months, 7-26-24 to Aug 11-24. Our track and swim athletes had better be in tip top condition and avoid injuries. Most of all, 12 to 13 weeks before ones sport or event start a tapering program, carefully monitored weekly by their coach. By the last week of April, the athletes must start their tapering program.

Hell, another botch baton pass by our All Star Pro's 4 x 100m team. Mind boggling. Dam, they better get their baton passing straighten out for da Olympics. Can't wait for da Olympics. USA should kick arss in swimming and track & field..

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Arcadia Invitational this weekend.

Long Beach Poly Freshman Benjamin Harris is not only the fastest 100M runner in the state, he's the fastest freshman in the country and is now the fastest freshman in CA history.

Edit: purusing the Arcadia results blem, Westlake HS which is just Southeast of downtown ATL has some very fast young ladies.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

Long Beach Poly Freshman Benjamin Harris is not only the fastest 100M runner in the state, he's the fastest freshman in the country and is now the fastest freshman in CA history.

Edit: purusing the Arcadia results blem, Westlake HS which is just Southeast of downtown ATL has some very fast young ladies.

Just a freshman at 10.38 100m, crazy. Veebs does B.Harris play FB as well (WR or RB)? If he does, C.LR must stay close and recruit him hard. Dual sports, track and FB for USC, Shaka 🤙

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017

Veebs, is that kid from Poly a True Freshman in age? If so, thats Houston McTear territory. For those of you who don’t know who Houston McTear was, here you go.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Found out dat B.Harris plays FB as well, varsity. Can't find his bio-size, but he looks about 5'8" to 5'9", 145-150 lbs. I'm sure he's still growing. His 200 m = 22.19 pretty good, but running a 10.38 100 m, he should be running sub 22.0 about 21.6 He needs to get stronger, train for strength to improve his 200 m. Yeah, OK I know he's only a freshman, should not be too hard on da kid. My thoughts, if he's coached right and put in da hard work, his senior year: 10.15 100 m, 20.8 200 m & 48.0 400 m (yes he should run and include da 400 m in meets).

In practice include these weekly sets for the 200 m + training for the 100 m. Add these sets: M & W run 4 x 600 m sets with 4 mins rest per set, 3/4 speed-tempo, Tues, Thurs, run 6 x 300 m sets with 3 mins rest each set, full speed-tempo. Friday run 3 x 800 m sets with 7 mins rest per set, 3/4 speed-tempo. Everyday, do 6 miles road work-brisk, up tempo jogging pace early morning before school (38-40 mins). This type of training will get him stronger & should improve his 200 m to around 21.6

See his short FB HL tape.

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Found out dat B.Harris plays FB as well, varsity. Can't find his bio-size, but he looks about 5'8" to 5'9", 145 lbs. I'm sure he's still growing. His 200 m = 22.19 pretty good, but he should be running sub 22.0 about 21.6 He needs to get stronger, train for strength to improve his 200 m.
That 22.19 was quite an improvement over the 22.69 he ran in late February. However, that 10.38 isn't going to officially stand....wind was at 2.1.

Veebs, is that kid from Poly a True Freshman in age? If so, thats Houston McTear territory. For those of you who don’t know who Houston McTear was, here you go.

I've looked around and can't find any verification of his age. Watching an interview with him, he looks and sounds every bit a legit 14/15-year old but who knows.

The country's fastest high school 100 this season is from Christian Miller out of Creekside in Florida at 10.14.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

SC200SC

Aug 24, 2017
(Way) back in my track and field days, I heard that Jamaica was so poor that even soccer balls were scarce. Therefore, just plain ol' running became the thing. This really elevated when LSU began recruiting out of Jamaica (which made sense due to their proximity).

Reactions: Pudly76

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
(Way) back in my track and field days, I heard that Jamaica was so poor that even soccer balls were scarce. Therefore, just plain ol' running became the thing. This really elevated when LSU began recruiting out of Jamaica (which made sense due to their proximity).

LOL at LSU. Where did you get that? They have absolutely zero role in the success of Jamaican sprinters.None Nada Zilch.

Jamaica had runners in the Olympics, Dr Arthur Wint and Herb McKenley in the 40’s and 50’s
USC was recruiting in Jamaica way before LSU or anyone else was. Donald Quarrie and Lennox Miller in the 60’s.
The first two greatJamaican female sprinters, Merlene Ottey and Grace Jackson went to Nebraska and Alabama A&M.
I’m sure there has been some runners who went to LSU, but not any more than anywhere else, and if so that is quite recent.

The two greatest Sprinters in Jamaican in history, Usain Bolt and Shelly Ann Frazier-Price never set foot on an American College track unless they were running in an event. You can make the argument, already settled with Usain, that Shelley-Ann is arguably the greatest women’s sprinter in World History. Certainly top 3. You can also make a case for Merlene, who was still running competitively for Slovenia in her 50’s. Give her a special category, I guess.

I don’t know about the soccer ball thing. I lived there off and on for 15 years and there were plenty of soccer balls from what I saw. A lot of kids can’t afford real soccer boots. That is definitely a thing, i saw a lot of kids playing barefoot. But by the time a kid is 12 or 13, if he has talent, someone will make sure he has the proper equipment.

Jamaicans just love sports, period. Soccer, athletics, cricket even table tennis.

Athletics, what we call track and field is emphasized heavily at the elementary level. Usually a kid who is the fastest in his or her rural area will get what they call “ bought out” and get moved to one of the top schools in Kingston or the surrounding corporate area. But even the rural schools have very good, well coached track programs.

Don‘t underestimate genetics either. Jamaica was a central transshipment port in the TransAtlantic slave trade. So the Jamaican Plantation owners would often get first pick of the strongest, healthiest slaves before they were sent off to smaller islands.

Never more noticeable than in an Olympic Finals and three of the eight finalists would be from there, and then quite often you would see someone running for Britain or Canada who were of Jamaican heritage.

The only country in the world who can compete with JA in the sprints is America, with 150 times the population.

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I’m sure there has been some runners who went to LSU, but not any more than anywhere else, and if so that is quite recent.
They've had a few but also some from Grenada, Trinidad & Tobago, etc.
Shelley-Ann is arguably the greatest women’s sprinter in World History. Certainly top 3.
Yep.
Athletics, what we call track and field is emphasized heavily at the elementary level.
The world, for the most part, calls it athletics, hence World Athletics is the international governing body. The term is meant to encompass not just track and field but also distance events which occur outside the arena. It's mostly North America who still refer to it as T&F.

I would add that not only is it emphasized early but Jamaica does a phenomenal job of incorporating it's legends in the process. Bolt is regularly around the kids there as are a lot of former greats. They provide proof for those kids that success is achievable and there's a way out of poverty.

A big aspect of sprinter success is mental. When you have former successful athletes involved, they know what it takes and they can impart that level of understanding to young risers. We don't do that in America. I love me some Michael Norman and he and a lot of other former stars are around USC a lot but not around the kids nearly as much. Part of that has to do with your other point about the size of the country. It's easier to get around the handful of Jamaican high schools who excel at track as opposed to thousands in the US.
Don‘t underestimate genetics either. Jamaica was a central transshipment port in the TransAtlantic slave trade. So the Jamaican Plantation owners would often get first pick of the strongest, healthiest slaves before they were sent off to smaller islands.

The only country in the world who can compete with JA in the sprints is America, with 150 times the population.
Similar to Cuba which has had plenty of historical success on the track.

The country that is sort of a headscratcher is the Netherlands. Still nowhere near the population success of Jamaica but also still a fraction of the population compared to the US. I've read articles on the how and why but still fascinating.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

SC200SC

Aug 24, 2017
LOL at LSU. Where did you get that? They have absolutely zero role in the success of Jamaican sprinters.None Nada Zilch.

Jamaica had runners in the Olympics, Dr Arthur Wint and Herb McKenley in the 40’s and 50’s
USC was recruiting in Jamaica way before LSU or anyone else was. Donald Quarrie and Lennox Miller in the 60’s.
The first two greatJamaican female sprinters, Merlene Ottey and Grace Jackson went to Nebraska and Alabama A&M.

The two greatest Sprinters in Jamaican in history, Usain Bolt and Shelly Ann Frazier-Price never set foot on an American College track unless they were running in an event. You can make the argument, already settled with Usain, that Shelley-Ann is arguably the greatest women’s sprinter in World History. Certainly top 3. You can also make a case for Merlene, who was still running competitively for Slovenia in her 50’s. Give her a special category, I guess.

I don’t know about the soccer ball thing. I lived there off and on for 15 years and there were plenty of soccer balls from what I saw. A lot of kids can’t afford real soccer boots. That is definitely a thing, i saw a lot of kids playing barefoot. But by the time a kid is 12 or 13, if he has talent, someone will make sure he has the proper equipment.

Jamaicans just love sports, period. Soccer, athletics, cricket even table tennis.

Athletics, what we call track and field is emphasized heavily at the elementary level. Usually a kid who is the fastest in his or her rural area will get what they call “ bought out” and get moved to one of the top schools in Kingston or the surrounding corporate area. But even the rural schools have very good, well coached track programs.

Never more noticeable than in an Olympic Finals and three of the eight finalists would be from there, and then quite often you would see someone running for Britain or Canada who were of Jamaican heritage.

As I said, I "heard this" way back (in the 60's). I am comfortable in considering the opinions of someone who has lived in a place, as I presume said opinions are based upon observations. Thank you.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
As I said, I "heard this" way back (in the 60's). I am comfortable in considering the opinions of someone who has lived in a place, as I presume said opinions are based upon observations. Thank you.
My lol was meant to be directed at whoever told you that, not a you. But if you heard that in the 60’s you should have known it was BS, I don’t think they had black athletes until the 70’s

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"Track and field athletes who win gold at the coming Summer Olympics in Paris will go home with an extra $50,000, World Athletics announced Wednesday. The landmark decision makes track and field the first sport to introduce prize money at the Olympics.

The move is a symbolic break with the amateur past of the Olympics in one of the games' most-watched events.

Athletics officials said it is setting aside $2.4 million to pay gold medalists across the 48 events on the track and field program at this year's Paris Olympics. Relay teams will split the $50,000 between their members. Payments for silver and bronze medalists are planned to start from the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

"The introduction of prize money for Olympic gold medalists is a pivotal commitment to empowering the athletes and recognizing the critical role they play in the success of any Olympic Games," World Athletics President Sebastian Coe said in a statement.

The prize money will come out of the share of Olympic revenue that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) distributes to World Athletics."

Meanwhile, they Olympic Committee is trying to decide whether to skip the swim portion of the triathlon or scrap the entire event because the Seine's e. coli level is too high, lol.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

Men's 200 Metres​

Final 1, Wind: +1.6
PLACENAMEBIRTH DATENAT.MARK
1.Courtney LINDSEY18 NOV 1998USA19.88
2.Joseph FAHNBULLEH11 SEP 2001LBR20.06
3.Zhenye XIE17 AUG 1993CHN20.15
4.Jereem RICHARDS13 JAN 1994TTO20.35
5.Matthew BOLING20 JUN 2000USA20.52
6.Josephus LYLES22 JUL 1998USA20.59
7.Nethaneel MITCHELL-BLAKE02 APR 1994GBR20.97

Courtney Lindsey, 25 yrs, Illinois, up and coming trackman. Dang until Veebs post, never knew anything about him. Amazing, USA has loads of top track athletes, our country just keep pumping them out. His Bio. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Lindsey

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Nike revealed it's USA kit options for the Olympics and holy heck, it's been a meltdown ever since. The ladies 2-piece option is getting shredded for being too skimpy, sexist (the patriarchy is being blamed), and performance-limiting.

Here's Sha'Carri modeling the unitard which looks great.

And now....men's on the left, ladies 2-piece on the right on mannequins.

And then there's USC's Anna Cockrell modeling the 2-piece. I think she looks great.

I think there are a few legit concerns, biologically speaking, but this style has been on the track for a few years now. It's what I've seen on the ladies at the Diamond League meets for awhile. And the athletes can choose not to wear the 2-piece and go with the unitard if they want. Personally, I've been questioning the mens kit for a long time, lol. Keep that camera waist-up! Lordt!

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
At the Tom Jones....

Tennessee's Jacious Sears ran the 2nd fastest 100 in NCAA history, and currrent world leading, at 10.77. It was her first outdoor race this season.

In the Men's 100, runners included Noah Lyles, Kenny Bednarek, Kyree King, and Joseph Fahnbulleh. Lyles had a horrible start but came on to barely clinch at 10.01.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017

Can he catch a football?

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Remember da 88 Olympics in South Korea, talk about corrupted judges. The judging events were so corrupted & atrocious, shame on South Korea. Many of their athletes pulled out unbeliveable scores thus winning medals.

Da big one, Roy Jones losing the final Gold match vs da S.Korean fighter. Jones killed & dominated da guy. One of the most FU decisions in Olympic history. I felt sorry for Roy; shoot even da Korean boxer looked stunned. He knew he loss the match, saw it with his body language.

I think da USA filed an appeal and complaint, but there was no reversal by the IOC commitee.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

Worth the watch.

Amazing mow down by Ashford. Shaka🤙USA perfect baton passing, in fact the 2nd and 3rd place teams passed the baton super good too. Not our men, they have a hard time passing the baton. Thanxs Veebs going down memory lane...

Last edited:
Reactions: uscvball

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Amazing mow down by Ashford. USA perfect baton passing, in fact the 2nd and 3rd place team passed the baton super good to. Not our men, they have a hard time passing the baton. Thanxs Veebs going down memory lane...
Ashford chasing down and beating the juiced East Germans. Great moment.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Whew! Fastest men's 100 in the world right now is 17!!!!

"Creekside senior sprinter Christian Miller broke an American record for U20 runners on Saturday night, clocking a blazing 9.93 time in the 100 meter dash at the Pure Athletics Spring Invitational in Clermont.

Miller, the reigning All-News4JAX boys track and field athlete of the year, broke the previous American record set by Trayvon Bromell 9.97 (with a wind-legal 1.8) in 2014.

Miller, a Georgia signee, ranks only behind Surima’s Issam Asinga (9.89 last July) and Letsile Tebogo of Botswana (9.91 in 2022) in the fastest U20 100."

Pretty sure that's the first WL sub 10 in high school history.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Temi Ojora won three women's individual events and Johnnie Blockburger had his hands in four men's wins to lead the USC men's and women's track and field teams to a Dual Meet sweep over UCLA on Allyson Felix Field at Loker Stadium today (April 28). The men's team rolled wire-to-wire to a 99-60 win, while the women's team overcame an early 27-point deficit to win 85-74. It was the third sweep for the Trojans at the USC-UCLA Dual Meet in the last four meetings.

The victory for the USC women's team was its 10th consecutive Dual Meet win over UCLA and for the men it was their third win in the last four seasons. The women now are 18-22 all-time in the Dual Meet and the men's team owns a 47-43 all-time lead in the annual battle between the crosstown rivals.