Paul Finebaum on Athlon Sports

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
said that Dabo is not going to be at Clemson a long time (3-5 years), according to fans. From talking to Clemson fans, he says that clemson fans are upset that Dabo is not adjusting to today's college football (transfer portal). He thinks that Swinney's time could be ending soon.

I personally don't buy that. Clemson's high school recruiting is currently 4th in the nation. I will say this though: I have said, and still believe, that the SEC has given Clemson a wink and a nod that if they can get out of the GOR, they will have a home in the SEC. I believe that Dabo realizes that Clemson going from the ACC to the SEC is going from a water pistol fight to a gun fight with real bullets. Dabo does not need the money. He and his family are now financially secure. What Dabo does not want is to have his legacy tarnished. The shark-infested waters of SEC football will do that. Dabo is smarter than the average Clemson fan (who badly want to get into the SEC). Dabo knows what Clemson in the SEC will do to Clemson football. As I've said before, Clemson fans better be careful what they wish for.

Reactions: Yemacock

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
His own alma mater doesn't want him.
That may be true.....but he still has that contract and it would cost Clemson a fortune to get out of it. Ans even if Bama did want him, they'd take one look at the contract and say "Nope."

Mar 24, 2022
I’ve heard pundits speculate that ESPN realizes if they cancel the ACC network and then it turns out Clemson and FSu go the SEC ESPN and the SEC could be sued for collusion or tampering.They see those two the Big 10 and UNC and Virginia to the SEC.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I’ve heard pundits speculate that ESPN realizes if they cancel the ACC network and then it turns out Clemson and FSu go the SEC ESPN and the SEC could be sued for collusion or tampering.They see those two the Big 10 and UNC and Virginia to the SEC.
Clemson doesn't qualify for the B1G....neither does FSU but they are a lot closer. B1G wants UNC and the interest is evidently mutual.....and they would also like to get Miami.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Mar 24, 2022
From what I’ve heard academics are not the driving force here.We’ll see.Yes,the Big 10 wants Unc but so does the SEC.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
From what I’ve heard academics are not the driving force here.We’ll see.Yes,the Big 10 wants Unc but so does the SEC.
With respect to the B1G, it is always the driving force as the schools make more money off the BTAA annual research funding than the do from their sports media contracts. Any school that joins has to bring a considerable amount of research money and research interest. UNC wants a part of the BTAA annual funding and would also benefit from the media contract money (whcih is larger than the SEC contract).

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Clemson doesn't qualify for the B1G....neither does FSU but they are a lot closer. B1G wants UNC and the interest is evidently mutual.....and they would also like to get Miami.
I truly believe those on this board who continue to delude themselves into thinking that Clemson would end up in the B1G only do so for fear that Clemson will eventually become a member of the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Unpopular opinion, but I'm pulling for Dabo to succeed. He's the only coach in all of college football who has had the stones not to jump in on the portal. Every other coach will bemoan the state of affairs, but then contribute to the chaos by using the portal anyway. I applaud Dabo's stand. The portal poses an imminent threat to the character and nature of college football. Clemson succeeding, while not great for us, does not pose an imminent threat to the nature and character of college football. Dabo stands alone in saying he doesn't like the portal AND not using the portal.

For those reasons, I have no choice but to hope he succeeds. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Reactions: gamecox4982

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
... I believe that Dabo realizes that Clemson going from the ACC to the SEC is going from a water pistol fight to a gun fight with real bullets. Dabo does not need the money. He and his family are now financially secure. What Dabo does not want is to have his legacy tarnished. The shark-infested waters of SEC football will do that. Dabo is smarter than the average Clemson fan (who badly want to get into the SEC). Dabo knows what Clemson in the SEC will do to Clemson football. As I've said before, Clemson fans better be careful what they wish for.
The well-known "Bobby Bowden School of Thought."

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
It seems to me UNC and UVA are perfect cultural and academic fits for the Big 10. I believe UNC is the crown jewel in the ACC, not FSU nor Clemson.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Unpopular opinion, but I'm pulling for Dabo to succeed. He's the only coach in all of college football who has had the stones not to jump in on the portal. Every other coach will bemoan the state of affairs, but then contribute to the chaos by using the portal anyway. I applaud Dabo's stand. The portal poses an imminent threat to the character and nature of college football. Clemson succeeding, while not great for us, does not pose an imminent threat to the nature and character of college football. Dabo stands alone in saying he doesn't like the portal AND not using the portal.

For those reasons, I have no choice but to hope he succeeds. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
You might get your wish, according to Greg McElroy. He calls Clemson a powerhouse flying under the radar. He says their defense will be elite. People question Clemson and Dabo because they don't really use the portal. They ignore the fact that this year, thus far, their high school recruiting class is ranked 4th in the nation. Our people are wanting to break out the champagne because Shane Beamer's recruiting class broke into the Top 25 at number 24 thus far. I hate to say it but, Clemson this season, will be really fine. But, that's me.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You might get your wish, according to Greg McElroy. He calls Clemson a powerhouse flying under the radar. He says their defense will be elite. People question Clemson and Dabo because they don't really use the portal. They ignore the fact that this year, thus far, their high school recruiting class is ranked 4th in the nation. Our people are wanting to break out the champagne because Shane Beamer's recruiting class broke into the Top 25 at number 24 thus far. I hate to say it but, Clemson this season, will be really fine. But, that's me.

I do not like that I have been forced to support Dabo, but such is the climate of college football. I respect Dabo standing on principles. I have zero respect for coaches who will bemoan the chaotic state of college football with the portal while at the same time utilizing the portal. If every coach who has said they don't like the status of the portal stopped using the portal, the problem would be solved. Dabo's the only one who has had the cajones to do it.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I do not like that I have been forced to support Dabo, but such is the climate of college football. I respect Dabo standing on principles. I have zero respect for coaches who will bemoan the chaotic state of college football with the portal while at the same time utilizing the portal. If every coach who has said they don't like the status of the portal stopped using the portal, the problem would be solved. Dabo's the only one who has had the cajones to do it.
I think Dabo can afford to because he does such a great job recruiting high school kids. I wish we had that "problem".

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think Dabo can afford to because he does such a great job recruiting high school kids. I wish we had that "problem".

You have to give it to him, he's got big balls. He's the only head coach in all of major college football who has total confidence in their high school recruiting.

I'm not sure what Beamer actually does as HC.

Ouch......does really wanting to be here count for anything?

• Haha
Reactions: Thunderstick

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I actually like Beamer and I'd love it if he were the guy to turn the program around and be successful. I do believe he genuinely loves it here, and I think that counts for something, but only if you're winning. Objectively, so far, he's been Dabo without the recruiting success.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
Dabo and the portal is like the horse owners back in the day when cars were gaining popularity.

Dabo wants to hold onto the reins of his trusty horse and watch the cars go by.

Jaykid28

Jan 24, 2022
everyone always counts Clemson out.......and then they explode. Clemson and Dabo will be fine. Finebaum is a blowhard anyways

Reactions: mickray
Jan 24, 2022
said that Dabo is not going to be at Clemson a long time (3-5 years), according to fans. From talking to Clemson fans, he says that clemson fans are upset that Dabo is not adjusting to today's college football (transfer portal). He thinks that Swinney's time could be ending soon.

I personally don't buy that. Clemson's high school recruiting is currently 4th in the nation. I will say this though: I have said, and still believe, that the SEC has given Clemson a wink and a nod that if they can get out of the GOR, they will have a home in the SEC. I believe that Dabo realizes that Clemson going from the ACC to the SEC is going from a water pistol fight to a gun fight with real bullets. Dabo does not need the money. He and his family are now financially secure. What Dabo does not want is to have his legacy tarnished. The shark-infested waters of SEC football will do that. Dabo is smarter than the average Clemson fan (who badly want to get into the SEC). Dabo knows what Clemson in the SEC will do to Clemson football. As I've said before, Clemson fans better be careful what they wish for.
Dabs may just wanna prove that he can play with the big fish.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022

screw clemson AND dabo

Reactions: Thunderstick

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
It helps they play in the ACC. Pretty much got a guaranteed 8 wins off the bat.

Latest posts