Penn State - Ohio State 2023 Dual thread

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Dean needs to beat the 17th ranked guy conveniently if he’s going to win Nationals. Will see.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
197: Max Dean vs. Gavin Hoffman (GH)

Per 1
Dean working the head, nearly with a TD, then has the leg elevated and has GH dancing, then he elevates, they are on the edge, and he reaches across and the TD is awarded. They are checking on video. Tom Ryan is about to pop a blood vessel. Hmm, they wave off the TD, so it's neutral with 1:56 left. (I thought it was a TD.) Collar ties for a bit. 1 min left. OOB with 50 sec. Dean with an underhand, and then out. GH with a low single, Dean reaches over and gets both ankles of GH, they scramble, and a TD awarded with 1 sec left, 2-0. End

Per 2
Blood time for GH. GH takes bottom. GH sits out, nothing. Dean throws in a boot. GH tries a roll, but is returned and flattened. Dean with a cross-body ride, and a stalemate with 1:24 left. Dean throws in a boot after GH denied it for some time. RT goes over 1 min for Dean. Dean with a bow and arrow and gets swipes, and gets the pin @ 4:28!!!!

25-9, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
285: Kerk vs. Tate Orndorff (TO)

256.3 vs. 273.8

Per 1
Kerk with a single and gets behind for the TD, 2-0. Kerk tried a tilt but TO rolled thru. Kerk with another tilt but only gets 1 swipe. To not doing much of anything, and a stalemate with 1:12 left. Kerk flattens TO. Stall warning on TO. Kerk tried to get a near-side cradle but TO kicked away. End. RT @ 2:44 for Kerk

Per 2
Kerk takes bottom. Kerk works to his feet, and is pushed out by TO with 1:42 left. Kerk works up quickly off the restart, and then turns in and is out, 3-0. Kerk in on a single and gets the TD, 5-0. OOB with 1:05 left. TO flattened and not doing anything (and Tom Ryan calling for stalling on top). End. RT @ 3:26 for Kerk

Per 3
TO takes neutral. Kern with a double, blocked. Kerk with a head inside single, loses the grip, then back and and then lifts TO up in the air and brings him to the mat for the TD, 7-0. Stalemate with 1:06 left. RT is locked for Kerk. Caution on TO. 1 min left. TO doing nothing. Stall warning on TO makes it 8-0. End. With 4:53 in RT, it's a 9-0 MAJ

29-9, PSU, is the final

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Tom Ryan was particularly obnoxious tonight. Just relentlessly screaming at officials, most complaints baseless.
Yeah. That d bag actually yelled “choke him” in one of the last matches. He’s an embarrassment to the coaches in the sport. Just remember, he went to Iowa, so he was never taught how to act with class.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Beau Bartlett being interviewed by Ironhead

Congrats on the win
- thank you

Talk about the way it played out
- I was caught up in the minute. It was physical. Coming off of Iowa last week, I wanted to get to my offense early, and do a better job on top and on bottom. I made some strides. I was 0-8 against that guy since elementary school

That has to feel pretty good
- yeah, but not so much the win, as to what I did. I'm sure the family is happy, but I'm happy that I'm in the right direction

Three straight Friday nights against tough competition. How do the coaches keep you fresh
- everyone has insane tough completion in the B1G. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't love it. Some people think it's a grind, but I love it.

Part of it is with PSU is embracing the grind. I think you guys do look forward to challenging yourself in the room and against other teams
- we have a basketball hoop in the room, and everyone's having fun

talk about the freshman, Shayne Van Ness, Levi Haines, and Alex Facundo
- they are inspiring. They have so many strengths. If they have any weaknesses, they are working on it. We're talking on the bench, and learning from each other

Talk about the atmosphere here last night. This is a neat atmosphere
- I like this. It's somewhat of a Rec Hall intimate feel. They're loud; really loud. They went with a blackout -- I think red would have been a little bit more intimidating. I was surprised that I heard some cheers when I was introduced

How fun is it to go back and sit on the bench, and watch 6 wins in the final 6 bouts
- I'm living my life, this is the best place to be. So many individuals that are so motivated, and so passionate. Getting to see everyone's hard work pay off. We have a special bond, and I'm in their corner

David Evans is in there pushing you every day. Talk about guys like that
- we are an entire roster. The energy is amazing. The day of, people are jumping to work out if you want them. Everyone wants to be all-in and help for the cause.

Oct 12, 2021
I almost sent them (PSU Athletics) a message this week, to encourage them to not have a repeat of the mess with the audio stream that they had with Iowa. I decided not to do so -- I figured that it was obvious, and that they would know to correct the issue. smh
Wish you would have sent the message. Broadcast didn’t come in until after the break.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Nice match overall. No surprises. Freshmen wrestled very well! Bartlett had a nice match. Dean pinned that guy. He was huge! Can’t there coach tell orndorf to put down the damn hotdogs and lift some weights other than lifting ding dongs.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Just arrived back home here in Archbold, Ohiya.
I will find a way to post pictures from my experience tonight. At 61 years old, I was like a little kid.
I’ll post more tomorrow , but I’ll say, I knew I was going to have fun evening when Aaron Brooks walks over to me, looks at my white Penn State t-shirt, says OH YEAH and fist bumps me.

Dadgum was that a great time!

OL