Penn State wrestling legend David Taylor named new head coach at Oklahoma State; how does it impact the Lions?

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
Oof

Not overly surprised but I worry about the impact it could have with M2 no longer being there.

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
Who is the OSU booster putting up the money? Someone out there was determined to elevate that team

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
Who is the OSU booster putting up the money? Someone out there was determined to elevate that team
Not sure ifnit would be the same guy but I know football has a dude with deep pockets.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Maybe he’ll keep ownership of M2. He loves it. Will see. I’m sure he’ll do an interview.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
Taylor was close with Levi, portal is closed(?), maybe Barraclough to OK State?

Reactions: JBott

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I had the chance to see David run a clinic for HS kids a number of years ago. He was terrific. Very efficient.....there was zero time wasted. Being a great wrestler does not make a great coach.....it certainly helps.

Super happy he is getting this chance.......really good for college wrestling. This may hurt PSU in the short term. Some guys may go with him to Okie State, but I agree with Fed83, this hurts others more than it hurts PSU. We have some significant log jams which need to be resolved.

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
Any PSU/NLWC staff that goes with Taylor opens the door for guys like Nolf, Retherford, Lee, etc to start their coaching careers if they desire.
Retherford is done after the Olympics but the other two.

I am more curious who from the NLWC might follow him

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Love to see Cael hire Gilman for Jimmy Kennedy (brother in law) position. He’s a big reason why were getting elite light weights. Be a good move.

• Love
Reactions: lionlover

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
I hate to see David Taylor go to but it wasn't realistic to think that he would just wait around for Sanderson to stop coaching. Who knows how long that will be? I do think Penn State will see an impact on it's recruiting but Cael did okay with the recruiting prior to M2 ever opening.

Reactions: BriantheLion

Gronky

Nov 10, 2021
Bassett & Forrest to OSU is a lock! DT is the guy these kids idolized & trained with their whole lives (like DT did with Cael). Throw in the new coach bump, along with kids loving the "shiny new thing" & recruiting may be tougher moving forward than the past few years where seemingly every #10 kid goes to PSU!

Not suggesting by any means that the sky is falling or that PSU's place as the top of the mountain is in jeopardy, but there will be an initial hit. Cael was the hire that awoke a sleeping giant. Could this be that same "outsider" homerun hire for OSU??

• Love
Reactions: lionlover

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Kind of surprised this went down so quickly but I am glad to see that, as far as David Taylor leaving NLWC, State College area, M2, etc., I think this move will be good for college wrestling.
Attending an OK State dual meet has been on my 'bucket list' for a while now; I'll just go to watch a new coach sitting mat side with the Orange & Black. I've enjoyed following John Smith's career, and yep, he had lost a step or two, it was time for him to go. The Cowboys were not hard to root for (for the most part, 'bad guys', but not so much as the Black & Gold) with John in the corner; that midwest twang/drawl was fun to listen to. I've been a fan of his commentating.
I do have a question in regards to the immediate effect of DT going west.
Q. Who did Cael recruit to Iowa State during his three years there as head coach? Am guessing John Reader and Jake Varner. Not sure of any others. Stated another way, specifically When did Cael begin his recruiting prowess? Appreciate any insights here.

Reactions: BTExpress62

Linebacker_U

Oct 12, 2021
Kind of surprised this went down so quickly but I am glad to see that, as far as David Taylor leaving NLWC, State College area, M2, etc., I think this move will be good for college wrestling.
Attending an OK State dual meet has been on my 'bucket list' for a while now; I'll just go to watch a new coach sitting mat side with the Orange & Black. I've enjoyed following John Smith's career, and yep, he had lost a step or two, it was time for him to go. The Cowboys were not hard to root for (for the most part, 'bad guys', but not so much as the Black & Gold) with John in the corner; that midwest twang/drawl was fun to listen to. I've been a fan of his commentating.
I do have a question in regards to the immediate effect of DT going west.
Q. Who did Cael recruit to Iowa State during his three years there as head coach? Am guessing John Reader and Jake Varner. Not sure of any others. Stated another way, specifically When did Cael begin his recruiting prowess? Appreciate any insights here.
He recruited Taylor there

Reactions: ptomaselli