Penn State wrestling legend David Taylor named new head coach at Oklahoma State; how does it impact the Lions?

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Best of luck to the young man. Cale will not coach forever. It will be nice to have someone with experience ready to replace him.

Reactions: gslachta

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This goes against the reporting that DT is the one who reached out to Okie State.

I think you're reading too much into Duckworth's tweet.

Initially, Duckworth indicated that Richison wanted DT, and because of that OSU then went after that. His reply to his own tweet is that it wasn't Richison that sought out DT, but that he was on board and provided assistance once the search team had investigated DT.

I don't think Duckworth is getting into which side (DT or OSU) made the initial contact.

• Love
Reactions: lionlover

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
We had to know that one of Cael's great wrestlers-most of whom are great people-would want to advance in college coaching. Fortunately, Cael seems happy at PSU ,especially with AD Kraft. Obviously, the money is much better and it is a new challenge for someone like David at the end of his freestyle wrestling career. Glad it is not in big 10 or in our typical recruiting hotbed although we have had top recruits from Az. Nothing stays the same-PSU wrestlers will just do what they always do-compete at the top level. And in the last few years we have recruited top wrestlers. Congratulations to David.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
I think it's about the PED thing--Mark 14:55-56: "The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death, but they did not find any. 56 Many testified falsely against him, but their statements did not agree."
absolutely! could it be both?

PSUFANinVA

Oct 11, 2022
I think it's about the PED thing--Mark 14:55-56: "The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death, but they did not find any. 56 Many testified falsely against him, but their statements did not agree."

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
To put things in a little perspective. PSU wrestling may lose a rare recruit or 2. Kids don't come to PSU because Taylor coaches M2, probably the opposite, they go to M2 hoping to get into PSU. Also NLWC will be fine without Taylor, doesn't the guy who just beat him still train there?

Taylor is a great person and a wrestler. The money to have him leave has to be life changing. And Starocci to talk crap is just immature. You can't compare the 2 situations, Starocci is back for 1 year. Taylor would have to possibly wait 15 yrs. And who knows how long his contract is at OSU, more than 1 year I would guess.

Also Starocci's comment should prove yet again, wrestlers continue to come to PSU when they can get more money elsewhere.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Where does Coleman Scott go from here?
ask talking GIF by South Park

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Oof

Not overly surprised but I worry about the impact it could have with M2 no longer being there.
It might be smart for OSU to help partially subsidize some of the operational expenses of M2 through David's contract. This will:
  1. Give OSU a strong wrestling pipeline in the best wrestling state
  2. Help to sway "some" key prospects away from PSU
  3. Allow DT to maintain his business interest in PA in case things don't work out at OSU

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
Weird take by Carter IMO. I know he's just creating interest and clicks but what was David supposed to do? Sit around for a decade and hope Cael retires while he runs a facility for HS kids? That is a huge scarcity mentality and not fair to David. oSu is one of the best Jon's in the country...and DT just got it with zero college coaching experience. Hard to pass up.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Weird take by Carter IMO. I know he's just creating interest and clicks but what was David supposed to do? Sit around for a decade and hope Cael retires while he runs a facility for HS kids? That is a huge scarcity mentality and not fair to David. oSu is one of the best Jon's in the country...and DT just got it with zero college coaching experience. Hard to pass up.
Interestingly enough, John Smith took the job with zero college coaching experience as well.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Taylor intro presser is at 3:30 tomorrow. You can watch at the link below:

CaseStudy

Oct 5, 2022
Good for him. Great hire and I think he will do well there. I suppose this will level the competition a bit and make things more interesting in a couple years - at least for 2nd place. It's great winning the NCAA by 100, but this is not a bad thing for the sport and it probably hurts Iowa more than us.