Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic 2024 (Dapper Dan)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I noticed something about the USA team being named as I was packing for my recent vacation, and just circled back to look for that today.

The USA team has been selected for the 2024 Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic.

The PWC takes place on March 30, at AHN Arena at Peters Township High School.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Here's a preliminary look at Team PA. Caveat: I have not checked if anybody changed weights or scratched for the postseason.

114 - Ayden Smith, NDGP (S4-S3-S1). Note, Davis Motyka (Wyoming Seminary) beat Smith 3-1 SV at Ironman. But I doubt PWC will turn away a 2x state champ over such a close match.

121 - Louie Gill, Reynolds (S1-S2). Alternate: Tyler Kapusta, Franklin Regional (S4-S7). Gill gets the edge as a former champ, and has a better chance of winning as he recently defeated Gauge Botero at state duals -- though I don't think he gets past Aaron Seidel at states (and they might be on the same side of the bracket).

127 - Luke Lilledahl, Wyoming Seminary (S1 Missouri - NP3 - NP1).

133 - Mason Gibson, Bishop McCort (S2) or Gavin Sheridan, Boyertown (S7). Either or neither could win states this year. Gibson is better but has a very tough bracket. Sheridan may have a higher chance of reaching the finals due to a weaker bracket. If they have similar results, Gibson is a national profile guy and also from western PA.

Here it gets fuzzy for a few weights. Returning state champ Luke Simcox (Central Mountain) missed a good chunk of the season with injury. Before the injury he was at 139. Since then, he's been primarily 145. He could hypothetically go 152, depending on Central Mountain's lineup. Guessing he'll most likely go 145, but that's a guess without looking at D6 brackets.

139 - Cooper Hornack, Burrell (S1) or Seamus Mack, Hempfield (S8-S6-S3) or Brock Weiss, Jersey Shore (S2). This weight is a total mess for PWC. Hornack will lose to Bo Bassett at regionals and likely again in the state finals. AAA includes Tahir Parkins and Dalton Perry (both ineligble for PWC). Hornack is the most likely. Simcox makes sense for PWC if there is sufficient weight allowance.

145 - Pierson Manville, State College (S1-S2) or Luke Simcox, Central Mountain (S6-S5-S1). Assuming Simcox is at 145, they'll meet at regionals and in the state finals.

152 - Maybe Simcox or Manville here? No senior will place top 3 in AAA due to Rath, Gaj, Sipes; or in AA due to Miller, Milheim, Stein, Wentzel.

160 - Conner Harer, Montgomery (S5-S1-S1).

172 - Joe Sealey, Wyoming Seminary (S1 North Carolina - NP1 - NP1). AAA favorite Shawn Taylor (S4-S2) has not wrestled in 6 weeks due to injury and might not make the postseason. Also he's not in Sealey's class.

189 - Tucker Hogan, Daniel Boone (S3-S1). If Hogan slips up, Garrett Garcia (Southern Columbia) is the AA favorite.

215 - Rune Lawrence, Frazier (S1-S1-S1). He's going to PWC even if he loses to Austin Johnson at states.

285 - Sean Kinney, Nazareth (S2-S1-S1). Nick Pavlechko (State College) is the only viable threat to Kinney, and Kinney beat him 7-0 at states last year.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Here it gets fuzzy for a few weights. Returning state champ Luke Simcox (Central Mountain) missed a good chunk of the season with injury. Before the injury he was at 139. Since then, he's been primarily 145. He could hypothetically go 152, depending on Central Mountain's lineup. Guessing he'll most likely go 145, but that's a guess without looking at D6 brackets.

145 - Pierson Manville, State College (S1-S2) or Luke Simcox, Central Mountain (S6-S5-S1). Assuming Simcox is at 145, they'll meet at regionals and in the state finals.

152 - Maybe Simcox or Manville here? No senior will place top 3 in AAA due to Rath, Gaj, Sipes; or in AA due to Miller, Milheim, Stein, Wentzel.

Simcox is listed @ 145 in the PIAA District VI AAA tournament bracket, slated to take place tomorrow (2/17). Until weigh-ins tomorrow, I guess it's possible that he could be at a different weight.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
lol, check out this move in the heavyweight class in the WPIAL All-Stars - New Jersey All Stars competition:

Morgan is really good (even if his opponent was a butterball). Went undefeated as the AA HWT state champ with several D1 prospects in the field. Last year he started at 189, bumped up to 215 and was runner-up to Austin Johnson. He's headed to Virginia.

Latest posts