Probably one of the best moments of TV acting that does not get discussed enough

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
I thought i had seen all of the bigot Bunker series when I was younger, I don't remember this ...thanks

This was a later spinoff after the original had ended. In it he owned a bar. It's been playing late at night on Antenna TV. Imho it lacks the energy that the original cast brought to the show. I think that scene is from the first episode and shortly after the real Edith died rather suddenly.

• Sad
Reactions: step.eng69

yeahtoasty

Oct 12, 2021
This was a later spinoff after the original had ended. In it he owned a bar. It's been playing late at night on Antenna TV. Imho it lacks the energy that the original cast brought to the show. I think that scene is from the first episode and shortly after the real Edith died rather suddenly.
Jean Stapleton was still very much alive when this aired. She simply didn't want to be in "Archie Bunker's Place" so they wrote her out of the story by having her die.

You're correct, though, "Archie Bunker's Place" was nowhere near the show that "All in the Family" was.

(EDIT: Seconding the original post, it's a marvelous piece of acting by Carrol O'Connor.)

Here's Jean Stapleton discussing Edith's death:

Last edited:

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
Jean Stapleton was still very much alive when this aired. She simply didn't want to be in "Archie Bunker's Place" so they wrote her out of the story by having her die.

You're correct, though, "Archie Bunker's Place" was nowhere near the show that "All in the Family" was.

(EDIT: Seconding the original post, it's a marvelous piece of acting by Carrol O'Connor.)

Here's Jean Stapleton discussing Edith's death:

Thank you. Lol, now if only you could help me out with who I'm thinking of...

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks very much, Joe95.

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
Can you imagine a show like AITF or a character like Archie Bunker surviving on TV today? Such an extremely well written show. It’s honestly amazing how lost the art of nuance is these days because of the populace’s sensitivities (looking at you millennials, GenZers).

Reactions: Bison13

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
Can you imagine a show like AITF or a character like Archie Bunker surviving on TV today? Such an extremely well written show. It’s honestly amazing how lost the art of nuance is these days because of the populace’s sensitivities (looking at you millennials, GenZers).
I was thinking the same.
Would anyone today even be allowed to call someone a meathead?