PSU 2024 Softball thread

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
For those that follow these things…do we have a legitimate shot at an at-large bid, or do we need to win the B1G Tournament?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
For those that follow these things…do we have a legitimate shot at an at-large bid, or do we need to win the B1G Tournament?

64 teams make NCAAs, with 32 of them entering via an automatic bid from either winning their conference tournament or finishing in 1st place in their conference.

Last year, the B1G had 4 teams make the NCAAs: NW, Indy, Minny, and Neb. They also were the teams with the best records in the conference.

PSU is entering the B1G tournament as the 7 seed. They'll face #10 seed MD in game 1, and should be favored. But MD has 1 good pitcher, and Bridget and she were in a real pitching dual a few weeks ago which I think PSU won in the 9th or 10th inning. If PSU wins that game, they'll face #2 seed Michigan in game 2. Michigan is 18-5 in the conference this season, and will be favored to defeat PSU.

I don't follow softball all that closely, but it was fun to look into this. Based on my investigation, I'd say that PSU needs to win the B1G tourney to get into NCAAs.

Reactions: Lanz

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
just like the last match with MD, it was a real pitching dual. PSU also played excellent D. Alas, MD plated 2 in extra innings in the top of the 9th (I believe it was PSU that plated a run in extra innings in the last match with MD).

Lanz

Oct 29, 2021
64 teams make NCAAs, with 32 of them entering via an automatic bid from either winning their conference tournament or finishing in 1st place in their conference.

Last year, the B1G had 4 teams make the NCAAs: NW, Indy, Minny, and Neb. They also were the teams with the best records in the conference.

PSU is entering the B1G tournament as the 7 seed. They'll face #10 seed MD in game 1, and should be favored. But MD has 1 good pitcher, and Bridget and she were in a real pitching dual a few weeks ago which I think PSU won in the 9th or 10th inning. If PSU wins that game, they'll face #2 seed Michigan in game 2. Michigan is 18-5 in the conference this season, and will be favored to defeat PSU.

I don't follow softball all that closely, but it was fun to look into this. Based on my investigation, I'd say that PSU needs to win the B1G tourney to get into NCAAs.
Sorry been away from the board for a few days...

As someone who does follow softball closely, Tom was 100% correct, that the only way PSU was getting in was to win the tournament. Strength of schedule is a challenge for BigTen teams when trying to qualify. There may only be 2 who get in this year.

Despite the disappointing end to this season, the team had maybe it's best year to 2 decades. And I don't know how else to say this without it coming across as ominous but the off-season should be interesting.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
ugh. PSU lead 2-1 in the 6th inning, but Texas State scored 3 in the bottom of the 6th. Then PSU was "stuck" with their 7-8-9 batters in the top of the 7th, and went ground out to 2nd, flyout to right, and called 3rd strike on a pitch hitter to lose the game, 4-2