PSU - Army Dual Thread

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
285: Kerk vs. Bandon Phillips

231.4 lbs. for Kerk at weigh ins

Per 1
Kerk in on a single and gets the quick TD, 2-0. An esc, 2-1. Kerk with a double for the TD, 4-1. Stall warning on Phillips. Another stall warning on Phillips makes it 5-1. Kerk trying to tilt him, but he loses the leverage. End. RT @ 2:18 for Kerk

Per 2
Kerk takes bottom. He's up, turns, and is out, 6-1. He gets a quick TD, 8-1. He's working for a tilt but not getting it so far. Phillips is cut, 8-2. Kerk with a double for the TD with 7 sec left, 10-2. End. RT @ 3:22 for Kerk, so it's locked.

Per 3
Phillips takes bottom. Kerk working on the wrist, but Phillips is eventually up and out, 10-3. Phillips has an ankle but Kerk kicks out. Kerk with a TD, 13-3. End. With 5:03 in RT, it's a 14-3 MAJOR

32-7, PSU is the final

Kerk’s two snaps at the outset almost knocked Phillips into the crowd. Byers made the comparison of Kerk to Kerry McCoy, which is a great comparison. Quick, strong, light heavyweight. I know it’s too early and unfair to state, but there’s an Olympic Champion who better not relax too much. On second thought, relax…

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

BaccaFarmer

Oct 12, 2021
Quick takes:
1. Thursday night + simultaneous basketball game = about 10% of seats empty. 7-8 people selling outside before match. Very few takers.
2. Dean is an beast.
3. His airness RBY was literally flying.
4. At least 4 guys in the lineup tonight who will not be year end starters. I think it great that Cael gives guys like Brandon new chances to wrestle in Rec Hall.
5. Gosh - I wish the young kids would not start the “we are” cheer. The old timers just want to watch the action.
6. Eh - 10-20% of fans ditched their masks. 7. Simply great to be back in Rec Hall.

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
Haven't seen a nasty side headlock from top like that since James Fleming graduated from Clarion.
I would be shocked if Dean is not our 197 pounder this season. Young man is on a mission and looks to be in great shape. Hopefully Nick Lee is back in the lineup next match and the big news for 125 should be coming soon. Exciting times back again. 👍

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I would be shocked if Dean is not our 197 pounder this season. Young man is on a mission and looks to be in great shape. Hopefully Nick Lee is back in the lineup next match and the big news for 125 should be coming soon. Exciting times back again. 👍
Agreed on Dean, and that's no slight on Beard. Intermat has him #4, and that seems about right for what we've seen so far.

That said, #21 Brown today was Dean's best opponent so far, and the type of guy he'd face in Round 1. I'd like to see how he fares against some top competition at Collegiate Duals -- potential opponents (depending upon pools): #5 Elam (Missouri), #6 Darmstadt (Cornell), #7 Norfleet (Arizona State).

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Haven't seen a nasty side headlock from top like that since James Fleming graduated from Clarion.
Wow, there’s a bit of a throwback, but yeah. Can’t decide if I’d rather see Max or Michael demoralize the Illirussian at Carver. I’ll go with Dean simply because he’s forward nonstop.

Oct 31, 2021
I might be crazy but I feel like when I covered the team in college 2011-2015 there was many a match when the opponent was announcing a lot of guys so PSU did too just for the heck of it. My memory may be shot, but feel like I’ve seen that move before and then everything goes (mostly
Good morning, everyone. Fun one last night!

Thank you ! Great night of wrestling! Still very early in the “ process”! Great group of kids! Work to do but left me overall., optimistic. Can talk about areas of concern later . Obviously they exist ( and let’s not forget all teams hav them ), I think these can and will be solved . Our coaches will wk it out. I hav faith. Our goal is March. We ll get there! But for now congrats to our team on a nice win against a good experienced Army team. Hats off to them too.

Oct 31, 2021
I would agree on the high scoring point, but Beau's win was hardly lackluster against a higher ranked kid and last year's EIWA champion. Meredith's (a back up)first match at 141 and almost pulled off an upset a ranked kid. Solid effort.Barraclough definitely disappointing.
Agree w u crockster .

Meredith is kinda kid u want on your team! Great team mate . I m proud of his performance ! Perspective, He wrestled Cory Shie at 141. Shie is a Senior and NQ Ohio state finalist in HS. Has had a good career at Army. Ranked #29 intermat .

Beau: We badly need perspective here! PJ Ogunsanya is a high caliber wrestler ! ranked # 20 by intermat . Wrestled for Oak Park River Forest an Illinois power program. Did a yr at USMA prep. Former national Fargo champ. EIWA champ at 149 last year( yes I know Cornell and Ivies not there) . At NCAA s lost to Kyle Parco ( Fresno St.) in SV in first rd. Finished 2-2 w a pin over Griff Parriot of Purdue. This guy is real! Plus the military academy kids are a different type of kid. For more insight , listen to Beau s post match press conference . He talks about the plan he s following . But that was a nice win over a very good tough wrestler who s in that blood rd mix imo. Won t sugarcoat it Bearclaw was tough to watch. Don t know if still sick or what. Joe still in the mix! Let s let it play out. We are………..

Steelhead52

Sep 23, 2021
Wow. Max was ruthless on top. That’s called Zain-ish (and he included a Zain-like bow-and-arrow). If he keeps that up, it’ll be called Max-ish for future brutalizers on top. I’m going to have nightmares tonight!
That's just what I told my son and grandkids at the SH and OSU matches. Man he makes it look unenjoyable to wrestle him just like Zain did. We had the bonus of sitting next to Max's great family at the Nook. Its great to have options at this weight and getting bonus points is great.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
I’ve got to disagree, a bit, with the negativity on Barraclough. Sure, I was disappointed, but I’m sure we’ve all seen it before where a tough leg rider can be tough to escape. Granted, our guys typically can fight off the best leg riders, but my most recent memory is Michael Beard having difficulty on bottom. Didn’t Joe Lee get stuck underneath a few times too last year (vague recollection). A couple times, Bearclaw turned into the kid, and I thought magic would be made, but as often happens, the leg rider rollEd around and kept position. As the recipient of many leg rides during my less-than-prominent high school wrestling career, effort on bottom doesn’t necessarily equal results. Nothings worse than getting called for stalling while fighting desperately to free your lips from the mat.

I‘ll bet Cael & company weren’t the least bit concerned or upset. Best to see it in November and for Bearclaw to get a healthy dose of leg riding training at practice. Think he can escape from Casey? Once he does, things will be just fine!

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
And for those who question Bearclaw’s effort, maybe you should question Micah Jordan’s effort in the NCAA quarters (?) a few years ago when Nolf decided to give leg riding a try. I think Jordan, a quality wrestler, was trying quite hard as Nolf nearly made me cry en route to a 15-0 (?) tech. I still have shoulder pain from that match and I didn’t wrestle in it!

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Remember the crying and gnashing of teeth back in 2017 when Bucknell’s Hoffman rode Raptor like a rented mule and pretty much controlled the entire match? These are the times to identify and work on weaknesses.

Reactions: El_Jefe