PSU @ NU Prediction Thread

rmndcat

Junior
Sep 4, 2009
2,829
254
83
Happy Wednesday. Happy Homecoming Week. The Cats are hosting the team from Happy Valley. Happy prognosticating.

Fitz 19
Franklin 17

(This is grossly optimistic, but Fitz seems to own Franklin-coached teams)

That said, something like PSU 34 NU 13 is probably more likely.
 
Last edited:

SDBaller

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
71,792
162,988
113
I have PSU 37 - 13.. looks like rain though.. a healthy Jackson would bolster NU
 

Alaskawildkat

Senior
Dec 28, 2005
20,846
612
113
Last year's homecoming score was 24 to 14 in Northwestern's favor. Since I am coming back for a repeated homecoming visit I will go for a repeat of the score as well:

Daniel - 24

Lions - 14


The Cats proved they could score 24 against Wisconsin last week, so it will be up to the D to hold the Lions to 14.
 

mikewebb68

Senior
Oct 24, 2009
9,814
504
113
Them 38
Us 13

Hope I'm wrong of course! But still think we win at least 7; West is fairly bad this year. Could win 9 or more if we can somehow figure out how to win this one...
 

SDBaller

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
71,792
162,988
113
Jun 18, 2005
4,040
135
0
I see this one playing out similiar to the 2009 game*. Cats and Lions tied after 3, but PSU pulls away in the 4th after hitting a few explosion plays.

Penn St. 38
NU 24

*In the event of a monsoon style homecoming game circa 1998:

NU 9
PSU 6

Two total touchdowns and two failed PATs/2 pt conversions. Late Barkley fumble sets up NU deep in PSU territory. 28 yard knuckle ball from Kuhbander as time expires gets NU the upset.
 

DaCat

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
25,886
2,381
113
NU 22
Ped State 21

It'll come down to how well Sasquatch plays in the rain and soggy Ryan Fields turf. Paddy Fisher keeps improving on D.
 

DFailor

Redshirt
Mar 23, 2012
30
13
8
Penn State 28
Northwestern 24

I love the play of Thorson and Jackson, they will give PSU fits. Also with the weather and the way PSU has had trouble moving he ball I think this will come down to the last possession just like last game.
 

rmndcat

Junior
Sep 4, 2009
2,829
254
83
Them 38
Us 13

Hope I'm wrong of course! But still think we win at least 7; West is fairly bad this year. Could win 9 or more if we can somehow figure out how to win this one...
For yucks, I went and looked at the % chance of win projections on the ESPN site for each of our games for the rest of the year. They show us winning 8 total for the year. That seems optimistic, but even +/- 2 gets us bowling.
 

freewillie07

Sophomore
Aug 22, 2017
5,264
123
48
For yucks, I went and looked at the % chance of win projections on the ESPN site for each of our games for the rest of the year. They show us winning 8 total for the year. That seems optimistic, but even +/- 2 gets us bowling.

I'd be thrilled with eight wins at this point. I'd probably even quiet down about firing Cushing.
 

Jonny2TheP

Senior
Dec 11, 2007
8,678
554
87
I'm not one to be overly optimistic, but for some reason, I have a good feeling about this one. PSU is the better team so we'll need a few things to go our way (win turnover battle, limit explosive plays, turn good PSU drives into FG attempts, etc.)...

So I'm going out on a limb for once. Cats 27-21.
 

GlideCat

Senior
Jan 19, 2013
7,769
846
113
Looking into the crystal ball...

PSU’s O-Line cannot open holes between the tackles forcing their running game to the edges. NU is able to get multiple players in front of these slower developing sweeps and the games grinds down. Attempting to break things open Franklin starts stretching the field resulting in some key interceptions.

NU - 24
PSU - 14
 

eastbaycat99

Junior
Mar 7, 2009
2,550
233
48
I think it would be goofy to pick the Cats to win but I will be surprised if they don't cover. Lions 27 Cats 17.
 

LionIze

Redshirt
Dec 4, 2016
3
0
0
NU 22
Ped State 21

It'll come down to how well Sasquatch plays in the rain and soggy Ryan Fields turf. Paddy Fisher keeps improving on D.
“ped State”
Did you come up with that all by yourself?
Stay classy!
 

Jonny2TheP

Senior
Dec 11, 2007
8,678
554
87
“ped State”
Did you come up with that all by yourself?
Stay classy!

For the record, I am not a PSU defender in any way when it comes to that whole situation so don't expect any support beyond this (not that you're looking for it), but I also think the "Ped State" term, which I have seen many times before, is just wrong and dumb.

And I admittedly love offensive humor (George Carlin and Louis CK are two of my all time favorite comedians), but "Ped State" is not even funny. So if it's pretty damn offensive to the victims, and not even funny, probably not worth typing/saying...
 

Purple Pile Driver

All-Conference
May 14, 2014
28,994
4,161
113
Barkley scares me more than anybody we faced in the last decade. I don't see us being able to stop him, therefore we will have difficulty keeping this close. The good news is, after this game I think we go on a roll.
 

LACatFan

Freshman
May 29, 2001
2,844
98
48
“ped State”
Did you come up with that all by yourself?
Stay classy!

Two very original retorts in one post. Well played.

Are you a representative from the Penn State Apologist Society? I'm guessing yes. In which case the last thing that you should be doing is suggesting that anyone, "stay classy".
 

Fitz51

Senior
Oct 21, 2008
10,117
649
113
Still laughing there Chuckles??

Yes, actually. Because what PSU fans seem to miss is that what happens in a sports contest is irrelevant to an institution and its beloved idol covering up decades of child rape.
 
Wildcat Report

Latest

  1. 01 College Football Playoff College Football Playoff prediction: Alabama rises after road win, Northwestern enters the bracket
  2. 02 Wildcat Report Northwestern vs. Penn State PFF Snap Counts Analysis
  3. 03 Wildcat Report Takeaways: Northwestern couldn't dream of a better win over Penn State
  4. 04 On3 Football Northwestern's new era: Inside the first game at New Ryan Field
  5. 05 Wildcat Report Northwestern opens Ryan Field by running over Penn State, 34-13