PSU vs. Arizona State (Collegiate Duals) Match Thread

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Watched the hand shakes, pretty sure Cael and Schultz just walked past each other. I don’t blame Schultz, Zeke had the duck license.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
On what the week was like

"I've been looking forward to wrestling a handful of guys since I was in fifth or sixth grade. Seeing myself now and seeing myself in the same weight class as these guys, it's really exciting and motivates me to keep working every day. When you're focused on letting it fly and out there, you go out there without a game plan, and leave yourself open to a lot of things, but I feel good off it. There are some things I'" really excited about. I'm focused. March is coming. And I'm happy."

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I don't know what it was with Carter, but something set him off, but that was a Nolf/Zain like brutalization and it looked like Carter wanted more.

Reactions: hohmadw1978
Oct 31, 2021
Great effort! Great heart!
Great wrestling! I guess the sky isn t falling? Did we just win the National Collegiate Duals? I d say yes.
Trust the team , Cael and coaches and…….
the Process!!!!!
This is just the start of our ascent!
Merry Christmas!!!!!
Keep the faith guys! We got this teams back. Lotta work ahead! We ll be right there in the end.
We are……….

Reactions: crockster

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Is Beau about to take the next step?

"Of course. I feel more confident every match. I know people are saying how do you adjust to college wrestling? It's not overnight. You can't fix it overnight. It's every day, every close match, every takedown you score, every handfight, everything, it brings people closer to where they want to be. I'm not where I want to be yet. I'm not going to settle. I know the progression that I'm on and I'm doing it."

How good did the win feel?

"It's a little bit weird. Coach Cael, Coach Cody were congratulating me. I feel like I would be very excited if there was something, like last night, I beat Yon, and I'd be like 'wow,' but so far I am on track with what I planned for myself. Let's go out there. Everything else today, that last match I just wrestled, I was confident in that match. Doing what I can do, I'm living up to my expectations and goals. It's like making breakfast. I decided I was going to make it. I made it. I decided I was going to wrestle hard and get my hand raised. I got my hand raised."

How good for the team?

"I'm still an underclassman, freshman part two, so this team is becoming the same team I had in high school. That tight group of guys. That energy, I feel it. I can't really put a specific word on it. I feel it, the team feels it, the coaches feel it, and it's getting better."

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
I don't know what it was with Carter, but something set him off, but that was a Nolf/Zain like brutalization and it looked like Carter wanted more.
My best guess is that he got kicked or grabbed in the one place you don't want to get kicked or grabbed. And I presume Carter thought it could have been avoided.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Great showing BUT keep in mind it’s very early and we must improve at a few weights. Give too much credit guys tend to relax a bit.
Bo Nickal in the house...
Hopefully Bo and DT are wrestling our upper weights everyday !!!!

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Great job. Key is we gotta stay hungry and improve everyday. Especially at 125 where hopefully we get help from Drew next match and 157 and 165 gotta keep getting better by wrestling better guys in the room. Never be satisfied this early. 💪💪

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
A few thoughts after the Duals

Cornell will be a player at Nationals for the next several years. They have a nice young team.

I'd like to see a dual between NCS and ASU. Nearly every weight would be a toss-up.

Negron is already a tough out. He will only get tougher once he gets a few wins under his belt.

My dual team rankings 1. PSU 2. Iowa 3. NCS 4. Cornell 5. ASU (I'm tempted to gift Jack the pin and move NCS up a notch)

Unless Facundo shows something special at the Scuffle I doubt Cael pulls his shirt. Edsell is wrestling pretty well.

10-44 dual record at 125 since 2017 ... Drew, come on down.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
A few thoughts after the Duals

Cornell will be a player at Nationals for the next several years. They have a nice young team.

I'd like to see a dual between NCS and ASU. Nearly every weight would be a toss-up.

Negron is already a tough out. He will only get tougher once he gets a few wins under his belt.

My dual team rankings 1. PSU 2. Iowa 3. NCS 4. Cornell 5. ASU (I'm tempted to gift Jack the pin and move NCS up a notch)

Unless Facundo shows something special at the Scuffle I doubt Cael pulls his shirt. Edsell is wrestling pretty well.

10-44 dual record at 125 since 2017 ... Drew, come on down.
You hate to pile on but the lack of success at 125 for a dominant level team is quite amazing.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
You hate to pile on but the lack of success at 125 for a dominant level team is quite amazing.
I said it earlier, but it's largely bad luck since Nico. Suriano sprains his ankle as true frosh against Okie State, and it's been bad luck since. Teske wanted to be close to home, and Robbie has a bum shoulder. And podium-level 25 pounders aren't a dime a dozen. I can't think of who we missed out on over this time period that could've stepped onto the podium - I could be missing someone. Besides Suriano, of course, and despite his immense talent, I wasn't too disappointed to see him go elsewhere. Hildebrandt is the first good transfer opportunity that has emerged (besides Nick) during this timeframe, and we got him. What am I missing? Where did Cael go wrong?

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
I said it earlier, but it's largely bad luck since Nico. Suriano sprains his ankle as true frosh against Okie State, and it's been bad luck since. Teske wanted to be close to home, and Robbie has a bum shoulder. And podium-level 25 pounders aren't a dime a dozen. I can't think of who we missed out on over this time period that could've stepped onto the podium - I could be missing someone. Besides Suriano, of course, and despite his immense talent, I wasn't too disappointed to see him go elsewhere. Hildebrandt is the first good transfer opportunity that has emerged (besides Nick) during this timeframe, and we got him. What am I missing? Where did Cael go wrong?
If I am not mistaken there (was) some discussion on why Spencer Lee chose Iowa over PSU. The simplest answer in my opinion is that Suriano committed the year before to PSU and Lee made - I hate to say it - but the right call for himself at the time. THAT - if true - answers a Whole lot of questions about what's happened at 125 imo. I'll root for whoever shows up for PSU at each weight!

Reactions: Lumps Pajamas

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
For sure a lot of bad luck plays into that scenario but Penn State hasn't been able to get a NQ or at least a guy to argue whether he should get in. Someone like Kyle Adkins or Luke Werner at that level.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
For sure a lot of bad luck plays into that scenario but Penn State hasn't been able to get a NQ or at least a guy to argue whether he should get in. Someone like Kyle Adkins or Luke Werner at that level.
Yeah, but were guys like Adkins (Akins, right?) or Werner available to us and we missed out? We can desire a NQ all we want, but if no one’s available or we can’t offer anything, it doesn’t do any good. If El Jefe was on this board, he could probably state some missed opportunities, but otherwise, it’s like saying we should go get NQs at 157 and 165. Who are they?

The counter is why wouldn’t a NQ like Akins or Werner or other see the void and opportunity to wrestle 125 for the best program on Earth and pack his bags and grab the first bus to State College?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
If I am not mistaken there (was) some discussion on why Spencer Lee chose Iowa over PSU. The simplest answer in my opinion is that Suriano committed the year before to PSU and Lee made - I hate to say it - but the right call for himself at the time. THAT - if true - answers a Whole lot of questions about what's happened at 125 imo. I'll root for whoever shows up for PSU at each weight!

There's been a lot of speculation about that over the years on the board. I can only repeat what I've previously posted about this. I spoke with Nick when he was a HS senior. He really wanted Spencer to join him at PSU. His body fat percentage was really low while in HS, and both his father and he were concerned about this if he were to stay at 125 throughout college. Nick was happy -- even eager -- to go up to 133 if Spencer came to PSU, and he really did want him to join him.

Spencer elected to go elsewhere, but I'm quite confident that it wasn't because Suriano was at Penn State.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Changing the tone a little but think it’s very important. Cael has said publicly and to several close people he thought Rec Hall was Quite the last home match. If any of you go under the bleachers before every home match he ALWAYS says two things.
1. Stay on the Ref hard about any possible calls.
2. Let’s be very loud from start to finish…….So in essence let’s get loud and make Rec Hall the place it’s always been against opposing teams. Very tough Environment. Don’t hold nothing back…..See you all next home dual.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I wasn’t able to listen to the match and came here to get the results and assumed that we lost when I saw the ‘HorseCrap Non Call’ & ‘Zeke Jones Is A Ferret-Faced Wuss’ threads.

Yes, we still have weak spots, but it looks like some of our prime steaks were on (bonus) point.

Reactions: SRATH and Hlstone

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
There's been a lot of speculation about that over the years on the board. I can only repeat what I've previously posted about this. I spoke with Nick when he was a HS senior. He really wanted Spencer to join him at PSU. His body fat percentage was really low while in HS, and both his father and he were concerned about this if he were to stay at 125 throughout college. Nick was happy -- even eager -- to go up to 133 if Spencer came to PSU, and he really did want him to join him.

Spencer elected to go elsewhere, but I'm quite confident that it wasn't because Suriano was at Penn State.
I hear what you’re saying Tom and really do appreciate your leadership and contribution on this forum. It’s solid that you’ve spoken to Nick personally and this makes a good case but I didn’t catch where you’ve gotten it from the Lee’s that Spencer wasn’t coming to PSU and that’s fair enough. I’m simply a fan of the team and college wrestling in general.
Switching gears slightly, do you ever wonder what certain posters look like? I picture you looking kind of like this.

Attachments

• E8E63C36-AC92-4E68-AC74-E5932A1CB3FE.jpeg
    E8E63C36-AC92-4E68-AC74-E5932A1CB3FE.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 0

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I wasn’t able to listen to the match and came here to get the results and assumed that we lost when I saw the ‘HorseCrap Non Call’ & ‘Zeke Jones Is A Ferret-Faced Wuss’ threads.

Yes, we still have weak spots, but it looks like some of our prime steaks were on (bonus) point.
We were much sharper last night, ASU has holes where we were totally on point and our guys who were not favored didn't get overwhelmed. CStar was amazing. Up 2-0 after 1 with solid riding. His opponent did something and CStar went off like nothing I have seen. He was inflicting pain, won 17-2 and wanted more. Maybe when Nolf brutalized Micah Jordan or Zain beat the kid from Misszu, but this was ferocious and fast.

And if fired up Brooks.

There are 174 kids who are sucking weight or eating twinkies today after watching Carter.