PSU vs Cornell (Collegiate Duals) Match Thread

Oct 31, 2021
Vito a LI NY kid . He s a guy w a real international St future. Good friends w Yianni. They competed in HS and as kids together. Was always Cornell. Imo.
As I think 8th graders? , Vito and Yianni were phenoms in NY ! They met I believe in the NYS final at 98 pounds. Yianni won a close one. I remember thinking these 2 are gonna be big time stars. First I saw Yianni live. Said to myself Holy S… ! At the time I thought Vito unbeatable .

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
It's still early in the year. All of our top guys defended their seeds. (Yes seeds mean a lot, more so to TB though) Losing to Yianni won't hurt much and we have help coming at 125. I think we will be fine with Edsell, just one weight to shore up.

We just need to stay healthy and things will work out, not going to mention the virus I will get hammered, I want to use my Detroit tickets and have a hotel room within walking distance. I am upbeat so far, we are progressing. I agree we need to avoid giving up bonus today and we need to pick up bonus, should be another barn burner, don't know if I can take 2 in a row. C*, AB, and Max gutted it out when under pressure.

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
I agree. Yea Nick did some crazy stuff in regards to mat awareness his freshman year that he grow out of. Think Joe will be fine going forward.

When Nick was wrestling as a true Fr in 2018, Joe was already wrestling in opens at Clarion, Wilkes, and Edinboro. He now has 45 college-level matches under his belt.

I'm starting to believe what we see is who he is.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021
As I think 8th graders? , Vito and Yianni were phenoms in NY ! They met I believe in the NYS final at 98 pounds. Yianni won a close one. I remember thinking these 2 are gonna be big time stars. First I saw Yianni live. Said to myself Holy S… ! At the time I thought Vito unbeatable .
One year, Vito, Yianni, and Jacori Teemer decided to wrestle in different weight classes (Vito at 138!) in order to each win a state title. Mission accomplished!

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
PSU has three significant weak links in this year's lineup. Add that to an overmatched Beau Bartlett at 149, and it spells trouble against Cornell tonight. Another interesting question might be how far seven qualifiers could take the team in the NCAA's. Hopefully Drew Hildebrandt shows up sooner, not later.
Not sure if it’s okay to mention here but doesn’t ‘everyone’ know it takes eight scoring wrestlers to win it all? 😉

Oct 31, 2021
One year, Vito, Yianni, and Jacori Teemer decided to wrestle in different weight classes (Vito at 138!) in order to each win a state title. Mission accomplished!
Seriously NM , I hope you enjoyed the match last nite. You have a great young team there! U Should be proud of them . Was great competing vs you guys. We ll c You all again in March! Good luck tonite . I ll be rooting for u guys!

I hope my guy Loew from Wantagh is ok. I hope nothing serious. I do remember that year! NY doesn t have the depth that Pa has and wrestling not a religion to many, some of us. Lol. Soccer and lacrosse big esp LI but there is real high level talent. Some Kid named Dake, Gwiz, McCoy, Jantzen, Ryan etc to name a few! No private “ wrestling” prep schools either. I wish they’d go one Division for the State Championship like in NJ.
In my day the dream was to wrestle for PSU or Lehigh!( Unless your name was Brad Penrith- NY guy , amazing story ! ) Eastern wrestling. Do u know how Cornell was in terms of wrestling bk then - circa early to mid 1980s?
Thnx and Wishing Loew and your team the best. CBV
Ps r u guys in on Rogers from Wantagh( it s not quite Massapequa but very close) . Good program! He took 4th at Beast of the East. I heard he may be going to a mil academy?

Oct 29, 2021
Seriously NM , I hope you enjoyed the match last nite. You have a great young team there! U Should be proud of them . Was great competing vs you guys. We ll c You all again in March! Good luck tonite . I ll be rooting for u guys!

I hope my guy Loew from Wantagh is ok. I hope nothing serious. I do remember that year! NY doesn t have the depth that Pa has and wrestling not a religion to many, some of us. Lol. Soccer and lacrosse big esp LI but there is real high level talent. Some Kid named Dake, Gwiz, McCoy, Jantzen, Ryan etc to name a few! No private “ wrestling” prep schools either. I wish they’d go one Division for the State Championship like in NJ.
In my day the dream was to wrestle for PSU or Lehigh!( Unless your name was Brad Penrith- NY guy , amazing story ! ) Eastern wrestling. Do u know how Cornell was in terms of wrestling bk then - circa early to mid 1980s?
Thnx and Wishing Loew and your team the best. CBV
Ps r u guys in on Rogers from Wantagh( it s not quite Massapequa but very close) . Good program! He took 4th at Beast of the East. I heard he may be going to a mil academy?
All your Cornell history here: https://cornellbigred.com/sports/2009/9/11/WREST_0911090632.aspx

I did enjoy the match. As I knew would happen, it took me a while to get to sleep afterwards. At least I didn't yell at the TV and disturb those sleeping in the house. The team is mostly freshman and sophomores. The only senior they wrestled was Lajoie, and with Vito/Greg D./Ungar next year, 125/133 is well-stocked. The only other senior is Darmstadt, whose wherabouts are unknown to me. Juniors are Yianni and Loew. Six of the starters are in their first competitive season with Cornell (it's really hard to tell how much eligibility anyone has left), and Vito is in only his second.

It'd be great if PSU and Cornell somehow manage to get on each other's schedule.

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
All your Cornell history here: https://cornellbigred.com/sports/2009/9/11/WREST_0911090632.aspx

I did enjoy the match. As I knew would happen, it took me a while to get to sleep afterwards. At least I didn't yell at the TV and disturb those sleeping in the house. The team is mostly freshman and sophomores. The only senior they wrestled was Lajoie, and with Vito/Greg D./Ungar next year, 125/133 is well-stocked. The only other senior is Darmstadt, whose wherabouts are unknown to me. Juniors are Yianni and Loew. Six of the starters are in their first competitive season with Cornell (it's really hard to tell how much eligibility anyone has left), and Vito is in only his second.

It'd be great if PSU and Cornell somehow manage to get on each other's schedule.
“As I knew would happen, it took me a while to get to sleep afterwards.” Same here. I only listened on wrsc but slowly turned lights off room to room, finally only the Chris lights on. The wifey went to bed after nick Lee wrestled so it was just me and ironhead on the radio.
My first date with my wife was to attend the Wilkes Open in 1980 and we had a great time. Gotta set the parameters. I’ve told this story to numerous friends over the years and I get the weirdest looks. Only when I explain this first date to my wrestling buddies do I get the look of real understanding. 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Latest posts