Question regarding Elkins Park

LB99

Heisman
Oct 27, 2021
10,776
15,669
113
?

Thanks Tom! But just to be to be clear, I am a "Damn Yankee". Which is a northerner who is not moving back north. :) I grew up in Altoona, Pa.
Wow. You are a Mountain Lion? I didn’t have that on the bingo card.
 

Alphalion75

All-Conference
Oct 24, 2001
15,207
4,308
113
Wow. You are a Mountain Lion? I didn’t have that on the bingo card.
Yep. Alma Mater to Mike Reid, John Ebersole and others. I actually performed on the Beaver Stadium turf on Band Day with the AAHS Band. Back in the day, the Mt. Lions had some really good football teams. I have many fond memories from those days.
 

FGDreadnought

Redshirt
Jul 1, 2022
37
47
18
You bring back memories! I attended another school in that region and enjoyed Band Day as my first visit ot Beaver stadium in 1969.
 

step.eng69

All-American
Nov 7, 2012
3,791
5,198
113
My wife and I will be attending the Beth Shalom Synagogue in Elkins Park. Is this a safe area?

Yes, quite safe, even for a Southerner
While my daughter was at PSU studying Landscape Architecture in the early 90's, she made several field trips to various projects of Wright’s, I don't know if she visited the Synagogue, I'll have to ask.

 

rigi19041

Sophomore
Apr 1, 2026
374
172
43
While my daughter was at PSU studying Landscape Architecture in the early 90's, she made several field trips to various projects of Wright’s, I don't know if she visited the Synagogue, I'll have to ask.




If you want to see an ugly building then go to the Frank Lloyd wright synagogue. The buildings worth seeing are the Elkins estate and Lynnwood hall on Ashbourn. I think Lynnwood hall was by Horace trumbour.
 

LionJim

Heisman
Oct 12, 2021
16,512
22,691
113
If you want to see an ugly building then go to the Frank Lloyd wright synagogue. The buildings worth seeing are the Elkins estate and Lynnwood hall on Ashbourn. I think Lynnwood hall was by Horace trumbour.
This made me look up some pictures. This is the first FLW I do not care for.
 

rigi19041

Sophomore
Apr 1, 2026
374
172
43
This made me look up some pictures. This is the first FLW I do not care for.

Did you get a chance to Google the elkins estate or Lynnwood hall?

Widener built Lynnwood hall. Widener u, Widener building in philly, Widener library at Harvard Wideners went down with the titanic. Lynnwood hall was at one time the largest home in america.
 

kgilbert78

All-Conference
Apr 9, 2013
1,103
1,707
113
And it leaked like a sieve from.day 1
That was the issue with a lot of his designs. Looked great but hard to maintain. We've seen that with one of the buildings at tOSU here in town--Wexner Center. Cool design but many, many flaws, including leaks from the get go. And the original design/blueprints that had the urinals in the building facing outward on the outside wall of the bathroom. Buddy of mine was QC on the cement etc. and told us. They did not figure it out right away because the design was so modern and because it was an art gallery that they thought it might have been intentional.
 

LB99

Heisman
Oct 27, 2021
10,776
15,669
113
The paper mills in Tyrone used to provide a lovely smell if the winds were right, seems like the winds were always right.
Sadly, many of those mills, factories, and machine shops in Blair, Bedford, and Huntingdon counties no longer exist, as they employed a large number of locals. Even sadder, not many other sources of reliable employment replaced them.
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Penn State-Northwestern notes: Wildcats to be without a starting offensive lineman; what does David Braun think of the Lions?
  2. 02 BWI Recruiting High School Recap: Future Penn State cornerbacks shine to close out September
  3. 03 BWI Football Leaving outcome to chance, Penn State's complementary football fails
  4. 04 BWI Football Wisconsin took away Penn State's best throw and stopped the run with one tweak: Film Review
  5. 05 BWI Football Penn State bowl projections: Where could the Lions play in the postseason after losing to Wisconsin?