R.I.P., Whitey Herzog

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Whitey Herzog net worth or net income is estimated to be approximately $2Million dollars. He has made such amount of wealth from his primary ...

• Haha
Reactions: Connorpozlee

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The White Rat. I wasn't a big fan of his, or his Cardinal teams, in the mid-80s, in large part because they rose to power as my Phillies were near the tail end of their long run.

By hook or by crook (a lot of small ball), they would eek out wins. Except for the season(s) with Sutter as the closer, their bullpen was by committee. Herzog would drive me crazy with how many pitching changes he would make, and his switching a pitcher to the outfield and then bringing him back for the next batter, etc. But they won, which is the ultimate goal, so I respected Herzog and the Cardinals organization.

Herzog feuded with a number of his players, which lead to trades. Some worked out, and some didn't. Star SS Gary Templeton traded for Ozzie Smith seemed questionable at the time, but it was a stroke of genius. Keith Hernandez to the Mets for a couple of so-so pitchers was a bad trade. (In Herzog's defense, Henrandez seemed to have problems getting along with a lot of players and managers.)

Reactions: FTLPSU

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
I loved watching his teams even though they edged out my NY Mets in '85. RIP Whitey Herzog, you were one of the best.

Reactions: FTLPSU

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
The White Rat. I wasn't a big fan of his, or his Cardinal teams, in the mid-80s, in large part because they rose to power as my Phillies were near the tail end of their long run.

By hook or by crook (a lot of small ball), they would eek out wins. Except for the season(s) with Sutter as the closer, their bullpen was by committee. Herzog would drive me crazy with how many pitching changes he would make, and his switching a pitcher to the outfield and then bringing him back for the next batter, etc. But they won, which is the ultimate goal, so I respected Herzog and the Cardinals organization.

Herzog feuded with a number of his players, which lead to trades. Some worked out, and some didn't. Star SS Gary Templeton traded for Ozzie Smith seemed questionable at the time, but it was a stroke of genius. Keith Hernandez to the Mets for a couple of so-so pitchers was a bad trade. (In Herzog's defense, Henrandez seemed to have problems getting along with a lot of players and managers.)
It might as well have been the 1880’s. The game that Whitey championed could not have been further than the game we watch today. Hit and runs, bunts, straight steals, manufacturing runs, putting the ball in play advancing runners, defense, etc. Like you, I never really liked those teams because they were like little bugs bothering you when you’re sitting outside on a summer night. Like you, I found myself rooting against them quite frequently

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Hernandez kept asking fellow Cardinals players to help him move, and that caused a lot of tension in the locker room.

Last edited:

Latest posts