Ranking the other 13 SEC programs by likability

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
I did this list on the other site a few years back, wanna see what's changed

1) Arkansas- was more annoying when we used to play them every year, but have no real issue with them.
2) LSU- there's still smoke coming off the tater D from that torching in New Orleans back in 2020.
3) Miss St- really the west equivalent of us, can't really think of anything bad to say about them.
4) Alabama- love/hate here, crushed taterville's dreams in the past, but failed us on a few occasions when we needed them to come through the most.
5) Florida- most tolerable east team, would've been much, much lower in the Tebow/Meyer years.
6) Ole Miss- usually pretty tolerable but come off narcissistic at times
7) Texas A&M- "see Auburn" though these guys are probably more like Cliff Barnes.
8) Vanderbilt- like that annoying younger sibling that keeps challenging you on everything, and if you screw up and lose once you'll never hear the end of it.
9) Auburn- always feel like there's something shady going on with these guys, they're JR Ewing without the charisma.
10) Kentucky- anyone ever notice Mark Stoops looks like that one villiain on Walker Texas Ranger who tried to kill Alex at a wedding? From now on we need to be like Chuck Norris when he caught up to him at the end of the show.
11) Tennessee- don't bother me as much as the last two but still annoying, keep beating the taters and y'all may move up the list.
12) Georgia- usually they'd be last but been backing their talk up lately in football so gotta respect that.
13) Missouri- they're like that annoying "should've been uninvited" guest that has you saying "why are you even here?"

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022

1) Arkansas- was more annoying when we used to play them every year, but have no real issue with them.
2) LSU- there's still smoke coming off the tater D from that torching in New Orleans back in 2020.
3) Miss St- really the west equivalent of us, can't really think of anything bad to say about them.
4) Alabama- love/hate here, crushed taterville's dreams in the past, but failed us on a few occasions when we needed them to come through the most.
5) Florida- most tolerable east team, would've been much, much lower in the Tebow/Meyer years.
7) Texas A&M- "see Auburn" though these guys are probably more like Cliff Barnes.
8) Vanderbilt- like that annoying younger sibling that keeps challenging you on everything, and if you screw up and lose once you'll never hear the end of it.
9) Auburn- always feel like there's something shady going on with these guys, they're JR Ewing without the charisma.
10) Kentucky- anyone ever notice Mark Stoops looks like that one villiain on Walker Texas Ranger who tried to kill Alex at a wedding? From now on we need to be like Chuck Norris when he caught up to him at the end of the show.
11) Tennessee- don't bother me as much as the last two but still annoying, keep beating the taters and y'all may move up the list.
12) Georgia- usually they'd be last but been backing their talk up lately in football so gotta respect that.
13) Missouri- they're like that annoying "should've been uninvited" guest that has you saying "why are you even here?"
switch KY and TN and we agree

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
Pretty solid would would switch UK with UGA and Missouri and Tennessee, who would be a the bottom of my list except when they play Clemson then it`s Go Viles!

Reactions: Rogue Cock

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
switch KY and TN and we agree
Pretty solid would would switch UK with UGA and Missouri and Tennessee, who would be a the bottom of my list except when they play Clemson then it`s Go Viles!
[/QUOTE

As annoying as Kentucky can get, still can't put them below Tennessee and Georgia. Still got that UT disgust from the Fulmer years and all those times in the 2000s they got BS lucky against us, and I got a feeling Kirby is going to get on my nerves just as much.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm pretty indifferent overall, except I like Bama and detest Tennessee and UK.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Is this specific to football, or just the school's presence in the league in general?

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
Is this specific to football, or just the school's presence in the league in general?

Overall, all sports considered, the class or classlessness of their fan bases, how annoying their athletes/coaches are as well as their administrators(our issues with Sterk the jerk a few years back played a big role in me putting Missouri last). So when you consider everything, where would you rank these schools?

bucocky

Joined Jan 4, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 29, 2022
My list is a lot more skewed towards a dislike of SEC East teams. I'm surprised you had Florida so low. I have a lot of Florida friends and they suck.

13) Alabama - no problem with Bama.
12) Vanderbilt - as long as they stay submissive no problems with them
11) Mississippi State - meh
10) Mississippi - both MS schools seem so far away. Lane Kiffin is cool, as long as we're not playing him and then he seems like the biggest tool.
9) LSU - Have we ever beat LSU?
8) Texas A&M - Wanted them higher but couldn't find a spot. Mostly because we couldn't beat them for such a long time.
7) Arkansas - Nightmares of Darren MacFadden and Felix Jones.
6) Auburn -#1 hated West team. Despise who they are and how they conduct themselves. And nightmares from Cam Newton running over our linebackers.
5) Missouri - always seem to piss in our soup
4) Kentucky - Mark Stoops is a punk.
3) Florida
2) Tennessee
1) Georgia - you can interchange the top 3. Whoever is competing for National Championships immediately becomes the most obnoxious.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Comprehensively speaking, Missouri is a greater asset to the SEC than we are. AAU school in a large state with two major metropolitan areas, a state which is shared with no one else of consequence.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Comprehensively speaking, Missouri is a greater asset to the SEC than we are. AAU school in a large state with two major metropolitan areas, a state which is shared with no one else of consequence.
True enough, even though one is hard-pressed to think of Missouri as being in the southeastern part of the US. Same with Texas and Oklahoma, even though Texas was part of the Confederacy.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Overall, all sports considered, the class or classlessness of their fan bases, how annoying their athletes/coaches are as well as their administrators(our issues with Sterk the jerk a few years back played a big role in me putting Missouri last). So when you consider everything, where would you rank these schools?
I think that 14 is too many members in the SEC, and thus my remarks will be limited to the other 11 who were in the league when we started competing, in no particular order.

The Mississippi schools. Meh, legacy. Geographic filler. If the SEC were being formed today, they would likely not be invited to join. Same with Vandy and former member Tulane.

LSU. Not so strong academically. However, I was impressed with the sportsmanship Tiger fans showed to Stony Brook when they won the Baton Rouge Super Regional in 2012 by showing up to Omaha in droves supporting the Seawolves. Sadly, both USC and Stony Brook last played in the CWS that same year.

Arkansas. I'm glad they finally ditched the policy of patently refusing to schedule any instate schools in any sports (of course, the can't control post-season matchups). Next step is to start travelling to ULAR, Arky State, etc. I wouldn't expect that for football, but tennis, baseball, and golf seem reasonable.

Auburn will always be in the shadow of Alabama.

Tide seems amazingly evenhanded given their overall football success over the past couple of decades. I'm also impressed with how the baseball team has moved forward since firing their head coach. Not impressed with men's hoops of late.

Vanderbilt's academic prowess gives the SEC needed academic credibility (okay, so does Mizzou). Cannot downplay that. Glad that there's at least one sport they can compete in evenly - baseball.

Tennessee - always glad to see them humbled, regardless of sport. And thus, it's a no-brainer to pull for Southern Ole Miss in this weekend's Super Regional.

Hoops will always be first in Lexington, but I'm glad to see the Wildcats making efforts at being more competitive in other sports, e.g., new baseball facility. It's been 40 years since Kentucky rescinded it's policy of not regularly scheduling instate competition, and I think they are the better for it.

Florida. They're fine. Like Kentucky, glad to see they built a new baseball stadium. Of course, if they didn't, O'Sullivan would have been long gone.

Georgia. They're fine too. My most recent experience was attending game 3 of our 3-game baseball set in Athens back in March. The staff at Foley Field was courteous and friendly.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022

I'll think about and come up with my own list, but a couple responses to your list...

#3 Mississippi State - I don't really care about them, but the cowbell thing is annoying and overrated. I went to the '16 game there and thought the tradition just wasn't that cool. The fans were more worried about shaking their cowbells than making noise, so when the cowbells weren't going it just wasn't that loud.

#5 Florida sucks. Their fans suck. Their stadium sucks.

#7 Texas A&M - the SEC's clemson - it's a cult

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
My list of likeability, from #1 being the most likeable to #13 being the least

1. Alabama - pure dominance over such a long period of time is incredible. Perhaps if we played them more often I'd feel differently, but I can't hate a program that has stayed so good for so long.

2. Ole Miss - Lane Kiffin is, shockingly enough, likeable now. Their uniforms are 🔥

3. Mississippi State - If Mike Leach hadn't passed away, they'd be #1 on my list. Just nothing to hate them about. Like I said above, the cowbell thing is weird and overrated, but it's not terrible.

4. Arkansas - The pig sooie call is a bit strange, but they're a perennially middle of the pack team that can't get over the hump. That sounds familiar...

5. LSU - Never been to Death Valley, but how can I hate a team that enables us to belittle Clemson by calling LSU the "real death valley?" I can't stand Brian Kelly, so I could see them dropping.

6. Vanderbilt - who cares?

7. Georgia - I grew up a Georgia fan so I can't hate them like I should.

8. Auburn - the Clemson of the SEC. Too dumb to figure out what their mascot actually is. Tiger? Eagle? Who knows.

9. Missouri - They should be lower on the list, but I just can't stomach putting the other remaining teams above them. We need to start beating them regularly so they can fade into irrelevance, which is where they belong.

10. Kentucky - Stoops. Don't need to say more.

11. Texas A&M - obnoxious cult with weird traditions. Annoying little brother complex, with the "Texas Aggies" crap. You're Texas A&M, own that instead of trying to be Texas. I've hated them since 2012 and Johnny Manziel, and that hatred only grew with the 2013 game and the midnight yell practice at the state house.

12. Florida - Orange. Their fans are obnoxious. I was at the 2018 game when Muschamp choked a huge lead. After the game a little kid started getting up in my face about having won the game.

13. Tennessee - More orange. Another obnoxious fan base with an obnoxious coach.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
Most Likeable to Least - based on fanbases... Not necessarily their teams, although the top 2 are definitely still there.

13. LSU - no problems with them, awesome tailgates with great food, friendly people, and that thing they did in 2015 will always stand out to me.
12. Arkansas - hollering woo pig sooie is annoying as hell, but other than that, they don't bother me at all.
11. Vanderbilt - none of their fans even care about anything besides baseball, and even so, those fans are pretty tame.
10. Ole Miss - recently have had a decent team, but they're fans still are more about a good time and partying than winning games
9. Miss St - no reason to really dislike them except having the ugliest possible shade of Garnet/Burgundy/Crimson or whatever else you call it.
8. Florida - fans are rabid about their team, and yeah they're still riding the 90s and 2000s Champ Teams, but they're not too bad.. except for the missing teeth and jorts.. my God the jorts.
7. Kentucky - they've recently become more objectionable, but I spent the last week on the bourbon trail and at Railbird Fest in Lexington and everyone was always kind and seemed to care less about anything other than basketball.
6. Mizzou - it's mostly Eli Drinkowitz... Although his press conferences are pretty darn funny, he still just looks like a guy you want to punch.
5. Texas A&M - Fans are annoying as hell... I mean who in the hell does chant practice?? Especially weekly???? They need to have more sex.
4. Bama - if we played them more often, and they hadn't saved us from more Clempson championships, they'd be higher. Fans are cocky and
obnoxious as hell. They're awful to be around during a game... And now they think they're a top tier basketball and baseball program too.
3. Auburn - it's a slightly version of Clempson on the plains, but it's still middle of no where, fans that redneck and obnoxious as hell alllll the time.
Dated a girl in college whose parents were Auburn grads (granted they were awesome folks) so I attended a few Auburn tailgates during so of our away games. Their fans suck worse than most.
2. UTjr - literally have had 1 season in last 15 years that they were halfway worth a damn and think they are both on top... even considering 2
blowout losses. Fans throwing mustard and golf balls on the field, burning mattresses, and cocky a** baseball players who have
never accomplished anything.
1. UGA - grown men bark at each other. That's enough to put them here. They try to justify all of the should be inmates on their team, and
their tailgates suck. Walk up and down hills to sucky tailgate experiences to end up in a college bar with music so loud you can hear during college football games. And they bark at each other.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Most Likeable to Least - based on fanbases... Not necessarily their teams, although the top 2 are definitely still there.

13. LSU - no problems with them, awesome tailgates with great food, friendly people, and that thing they did in 2015 will always stand out to me.
12. Arkansas - hollering woo pig sooie is annoying as hell, but other than that, they don't bother me at all.
11. Vanderbilt - none of their fans even care about anything besides baseball, and even so, those fans are pretty tame.
10. Ole Miss - recently have had a decent team, but they're fans still are more about a good time and partying than winning games
9. Miss St - no reason to really dislike them except having the ugliest possible shade of Garnet/Burgundy/Crimson or whatever else you call it.
8. Florida - fans are rabid about their team, and yeah they're still riding the 90s and 2000s Champ Teams, but they're not too bad.. except for the missing teeth and jorts.. my God the jorts.
7. Kentucky - they've recently become more objectionable, but I spent the last week on the bourbon trail and at Railbird Fest in Lexington and everyone was always kind and seemed to care less about anything other than basketball.
6. Mizzou - it's mostly Eli Drinkowitz... Although his press conferences are pretty darn funny, he still just looks like a guy you want to punch.
5. Texas A&M - Fans are annoying as hell... I mean who in the hell does chant practice?? Especially weekly???? They need to have more sex.
4. Bama - if we played them more often, and they hadn't saved us from more Clempson championships, they'd be higher. Fans are cocky and
obnoxious as hell. They're awful to be around during a game... And now they think they're a top tier basketball and baseball program too.
3. Auburn - it's a slightly version of Clempson on the plains, but it's still middle of no where, fans that redneck and obnoxious as hell alllll the time.
Dated a girl in college whose parents were Auburn grads (granted they were awesome folks) so I attended a few Auburn tailgates during so of our away games. Their fans suck worse than most.
2. UTjr - literally have had 1 season in last 15 years that they were halfway worth a damn and think they are both on top... even considering 2
blowout losses. Fans throwing mustard and golf balls on the field, burning mattresses, and cocky a** baseball players who have
1. UGA - grown men bark at each other. That's enough to put them here. They try to justify all of the should be inmates on their team, and
their tailgates suck. Walk up and down hills to sucky tailgate experiences to end up in a college bar with music so loud you can hear during college football games. And they bark at each other.
Pretty much agree with your list based on fans. I'd put the top 4 as LSU, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Vandy. All very friendly at the game and when tailgating. Haven't been to Starkville, Texas, TAMU or Oklahoma so no way to judge them, Found most UGA fans to be intolerable at the games, but suprisingly fine in other settings even when talking about football. Tennessee fans you can have.

Reactions: SSIGamecock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Still, most respondents on this thread are focusing almost exclusively on football. Other than Mizzou, we seem to have no administrative issues with fellow members. I only attend baseball games in person, and thus I have little personal experience with much of anybody's fan base.

Now Georgia and Florida got into it a few years ago regarding the neutral site Jacksonville for football, when the local boosters of the game tried to allocate a majority of the tickets to Gator supporters. Athens rightly stated that they needed to fix that to 50/50 or we pull out of Jax.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
True enough, even though one is hard-pressed to think of Missouri as being in the southeastern part of the US. Same with Texas and Oklahoma, even though Texas was part of the Confederacy.
Outlaw Josey Wales. Branson. Mark Twain (born in Florida, Mo). Border state with considerable suggestions of Southerness. I'll say no more.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Outlaw Josey Wales. Branson. Mark Twain (born in Florida, Mo). Border state with considerable suggestions of Southerness. I'll say no more.
Not to mention the Kansas-Missouri border war and William C. Quantrill (Quantrill's Raiders), Frank and Jesse James, Younger Brothers, and a few others.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingWard

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022

I still remember riding through Athens on the Carolina Band busses in 2013 and seeing an old lady standing there giving us the double bird.

• Haha

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Rush Limbaugh (Cape Girardeau, MO) - the man who single handedly saved the AM radio band

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Maryland is technically a southern state, but not so much demographically.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
I still remember riding through Athens on the Carolina Band busses in 2013 and seeing an old lady standing there giving us the double bird.
that's awful, but at the same time it's hilarious. Living in St. Simons and going to the game vs UGA every year, I see the worst of it.
Athens and/or Columbia - people barking at each other, acting ridiculous, and in jerks in general.
SSI - a ton of UGA fans come and stay here annually for the Florida-Georgia game and ruin the beaches and town for a weekend. I'm still an advocate of it, because it's otherwise offseason and brings a month's worth of income for restaurants, hotels, etc in 3 days, but you truly see the worst of them and not even a football game setting.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
that's awful, but at the same time it's hilarious. Living in St. Simons and going to the game vs UGA every year, I see the worst of it.
Athens and/or Columbia - people barking at each other, acting ridiculous, and in jerks in general.
SSI - a ton of UGA fans come and stay here annually for the Florida-Georgia game and ruin the beaches and town for a weekend. I'm still an advocate of it, because it's otherwise offseason and brings a month's worth of income for restaurants, hotels, etc in 3 days, but you truly see the worst of them and not even a football game setting.
It's like Larry Munson said back in 1980... "man is there going to be property destroyed tonight"

Guess that's just an annual tradition now!

• Haha

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
College baseball fans are more genteel, I guess.

A few years ago, I went to a Georgia Tech / Clemron game at Russ Chandler Stadium on the Tech campus. As I was making my way to my seat wearing my USC cap, one fan asked me "You're not pulling for Clemson, are you?" All I could muster was "No," My wife said I should have told the fan "I'll pull for Clemron the day after you pull for the Dawgs."

• Haha

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
Jeez- I realized that I look at all other SEC teams as the enemy. No wonder most fans are ok with 3 to 6 win seasons.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I humbly ask when you last visited. Me, last year. I disagree based on the current atmosphere.
Actually I've never visited to stay, but I have some distant relatives on my Mama's side from Springfield. I haven't seen 'em in awhile but they didn't seem yankeefied to me at all.

Last edited:

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Of the fans i've tailgated with: my favorite is Arkansas (went to Fayetteville one year)

worst: Georgia

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022

Where would Oklahoma and Texas slot into that? I think you would like the Texas fans, both SC and Texas fans know their baseball. You might not like the institution that runs the University as much. So I guess you should distinguish between the fans and the overall school.