Recruiting and social media

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I know this won't come as a shock to anyone here, but it's slow season for news, so whatever. I read an article recently (last few months) by one of the recruiting services who had conducted anonymous interviews with a bunch of recruits. One of the questions dealt with players who announce a top 15 or 10 or 4 or whatever. The players admitted that releasing a "top #" list was entirely about gaining followers on social media and had little to do with their recruiting process. I never did put much stock into these lists for the simple reason that we seem to make a whole bunch of elite players' top 10 lists but rarely ever land one. I'm a dinosaur, so the idea of doing things to gain a social media following hadn't occurred to me in this context, but it makes perfect sense now. I can't count how many times I've seen our fans go giddy over us landing in some player's top 5, even though we know he's a UGA lock. So, all that say what we all already knew: the top # lists are completely bogus.

Latest posts